Register now to get rid of these ads!

australian straight 6 hemi????? (or why I DON'T LIKE AUSTRALIANS!!!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoguy, Feb 10, 2007.

1. repoguy

repoguy

what the hell else are you bastards down under hiding from us????

First you get all the good surf, and NOW THIS???

I thought we were FRIENDS DAMMIT!!!!, and then I find out you have HEMI STRAIGHT 6's???

I'm hurt. I think I need to go home and have a good cry.

brootal, I'm not talking to you any more. Yeah right, a 290. For all we know the Rambler has some 600 cube all-aluminum injected AMC motor that was only available down under and we've never even heard of it here.

So why aren't we talking more about these motors? From what very little 've heard, they sound pretty sick.

I have this idea of building one of those finned 57 dodge trucks (or any 50's dodge truck for that matter) and running one of those aussie 6's. How do I get one????

Do I have to move to Bells Beach, surf all day, go on the dole, and eat shitty vegemite sandwiches and drink piss all night to qualify to buy one??? Cause I'll do it!!!!

Are there any sites dedicated to these motors???

2. They are hording all those trick utes, also!-MIKE:eek: :D

3. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Yeah.....but, they have Kangaroos, we only have sheep..........

4. repoguy

repoguy

So 37coupeute PM'ed me a little info, and I was able to google it.

I guess it was a 265 cube hemi, but it doesn't have the "hemi look" with the plug wires going into the valve covers and all.

I guess the Valiant Charger is the car they came in, and it ran low 6's 0-60, and low 14's in the 1/4. Pretty damned impressive for a 6 banger made in the early 70's.

5. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

I had Kangaroo for dinner last night! On the BBQ ofcourse.

6. Cragar

Cragar

The old 265 Hemi good little motor I had one years ago could not kill it drove that car eveywhere and for a 6 cylinder it was quite quick the only thing that that stop it was being sandwich between two cars whitch was a shame they are worth good money now . I am sure if you did a search under Valiant Australia you should find something good luck

7. They also came in ugly, 4 door wagons that couldn't pull a sailor off your sister. :rolleyes:

They were available as 245 and 265. Nope the plug isn't in the centre of the chamber, but they are still mostly hemispherical.

Like any engine, if you breath on them they will go hard .........the factory performance engines were just the normal engine with some compression, carbs and a cam.

A hot 265 with triple webbers and a 3" system pulling big revs is a sound you never forget....

Where do you get one .........in any old junker valiant. :D

8. Here are a couple of pics of one. I used to have a "wav" file of a very noisy one going very fast but lost it in a computer crash.

Too new for my HA/GR ? :)

Attached Files:

9. The hot factory ones had triple Webbers , tube headers and made 300hp no?

10. Lancer

Lancer

I have a buddy here in Cali that had one in a 27T Roadster. Very quick little car. Those things really wind up.

11. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Info and photos in Tex Smiths The Complete Chrysler HEMI engine manual by Ron Ceridono .

12. Appleseed

Appleseed

Theres a guy that lives about 10 miles from me that has a real E49 Valiant Charger with a real Hemi 6 Pack! Quite rare here in the states. Those things rule!

13. Had one myself with the Webers in my 71 Charger...they go like stink and outta the hole thyere FAST !!

Had friends that have gone low 10s in a race car and hi 11's in a street car with them.

Thyere not real winders and have a real tendency to rattle flywheels loose becuase of the torsiona vibration those long 6 cyl cranks have,

Most dudes here usually play with them first before lA small block or RB big blocks.

Rat

14. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

friend of mine got 2 of them last year. on the web, found a guy and made the deal. [around $400] and almost the same for shipping. Hey the jeep [AMC] 4.0, 6 has a 12 port and goes good too. Barney Navarro built a AMC with turbo, = 700hp

15. jimbob

jimbob

Got one on gas in the Morrie....

[​IMG]

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

NEAT. it's look AWESOME with a traditional HEMI style valve cover and the plugs in the middle though. wonder how hard that would be to pull off???

17. They sound awesome going around a track, backing off to go round a corner then up it again.
    This ad always made me want a Hemi 6

[​IMG]

18. OldschoolJay

OldschoolJay

thanks for the info, will start adjusting tomorw

Jay

19. rooman

rooman

The Aussie "Hemi" is actually a stagger valve head (like a big block Chevy) and that is why the plugs are not in the middle of the chamber. It came in 215, 245 and 265 cubic inch versions with the 265 using 318 rod and piston architecture (3.91" bore etc).
    The motor was originally designed in the US but the Corp decided not to use it so we inherited it in Oz. The triple Weber version in the E 38 and E 39 Chargers (A body based not B like in the US) made 285 and 302 horsepower respectively. Those numbers were with the old SAE testing methods, no accessories (alternator etc) but still stout for a six.
    They do indeed have a harmonic problem due to the crank length and the performance versions (E 31, 34, 38 and 39) had a habit of trying to throw the dual disc clutch out when you unloaded it to shift.
    I worked at Chrysler Australia in the engineering and product planning departments from the mid 60's until early 1972 and was heavily involved in the hemi development and marketing.

Roo

20. tampaman

tampaman
    from tampa

Wow, great info.

So, now I have vision of turbochargers dancing in my head. Can the harmonic issue that you speak of be remedied through additional balancing of the crank / shaving weight or something? Or is just the nature of the beast?

If you could spin one of these bitches to 8 grand without it flying apart or throwing flywheels & shit, a turbo would be NUTS.

But realistically I'm thinking a slightly modified one for a 50's truck. It would definitely be a different mill to run (at least on this side of the pond).

Does a Chrysler 727 bolt up to them?

21. repoguy

repoguy

Oh yeah, and this is actually repoguy but I'm on my good friend's computer.

So don't start giving me shit about intros.

And be nice to this guy. He's not as "trad" as we are, but he's good peeps.

22. solo_909

solo_909

and dont forget those awesome waves have BIG great white sharks in them!

the grass may seem greener on the other side but it still needs to be mowed! = ) lol

23. repoguy

repoguy

Yeah, but on the other hand, one of my favorite surfspots here in Florida (1st peak, new smyrna beach) has more shark attacks than anywhere else in the WORLD. But yeah, great whites are spooky. We don't have those here, just lots of bull sharks (with major attitude problems).

24. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

ya but whens the last time a sheep beat the hell out of you?

25. Yeah, sheep are better than 'roo any day........ or so I heard .....

26. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

How are ya fixed for jellyfish and octopus?

27. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Running a fluid Dampener of these motors is a MUST for any 300+HP operation. same is true for jsut about any of the HP I6....

28. SimonSez

SimonSez

Someone was talking about this a while back on the RRT and said that the Jeep 4.0 evolved from the Aussie 245/265 .

29. The local Ford 6's with OHC's and cross flow heads go good with turbos. They must, even the factory fits 'em!

30. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

the jeep straight 6 is derived from the old AMC 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight-6_engine