Register now to get rid of these ads!

Australia,side steer questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aussie osborne, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Aussie osborne

Aussie osborne

Hi peoples,

I am building up my 29 roadster project here in Adelaide. I want to side steer it. But i have no real idea of what steering box's can be used. I have heard of HR and HT boxes but i understand they need some alterations. I have a 1972 dodge truck box that i think would work ok but i have to drastically shorten the column tube and the steering shaft. I want to come out the side of the cowl if i can. Most box's i see in wrecking yards if snug up against the inside of the cowl so the arm is on the outside puts the column way to far over to the right...

Any help appreciated as this is my first rod and i am learning as i go!

Aussie

2. I believe it can be done with an HT box , you need to reverse it tho , if my fuzzy ol brain is correct.

3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

XW-XY falcon mounted to the back of 4 bar bracket works fine in my 34 ,stainless pitman arms are available ,

4. Not that much to shorten column, if its ¾ Borgeson - www.borgeson.com - has unis and DD sleeves.<o></o>
    If the shaft is 2/3 cut it and make two flats to fit a uni, a sealed bearing in the tube and allow some upper steering shaft to stick out past the bearing, two more flats to fit the DD uni. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    If you what to reverse a steering box- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282490&page=2

.. .

5. hotcargo

hotcargo

Hey Aussie ,

as Roddy says , the XW-XY Falcon sits in the right spot , these use a rag coupling or if you want a solid shaft old time look , use the XR-XT steering box

The holden box is a bit long , not a good fit compared to the ford box's

cheers

6. Any sprint car gear can be flipped over and used as right-side cowl steering.

Attached Files:

7. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

check www.gasalleystreetrods.com. great article on using corvair box and their kit for cowl steer. august 2009 of Street Rodder mag has a nice article on it. good luck

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am with JohnnyFast on this one, you can get these or similar items from Speedway Motors.
    Just do a search on cowl steering!

9. 41fastback

41fastback

Seems to me, any box that has to be reversed for left hand drive would work as-is for right hand drive. Check this link and scroll down to my '68 Ford truck box. It has the length you may be able to use. Just flip the box over.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174879

10. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Hi Aussie.
    Not used one myself but,Land Rover series 2 and 3 seem popular over here for side steer applications.I would think you could pick one up pretty easy over there.
    Mark

11. G,day aussie, my mate used a bedford van steering box , works fine.

12. Striper's setup works well, and Dean up at John's Rod and Custom did the same for his 32.

13. Fenders

Fenders

Well this may be OT but I was looking at an older Ford tractor today and was surprised to see (I hadn't examined one before) that it had two pitmans, one on each side of the box -- each wheel has a drag link (no tie rod needed).

The pitmans drop down on each side. So when you turn the steering to the right the right pitman moves forward, pushing that wheel to the right, and the left pitman moves backward, pulling THAT wheel to the right !!

Made me wonder it there is a use for the old Ford tractor steering box in a hot rod..... use left side pitman for USA, right side for English (or Aussie) if you use a tie rod. Maybe work it into a cowl steer arrangement....

... The way the bones attached to the frame is another story....