Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Somerset Gasser Build (DragNasty)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But we scratched another off the bucket list by tossing the chute. The first two passes were 140 mph plus. Round one I just about put her in the corn field as I didn't really feel anything and even looked around to see if the stupid thing deployed before getting on the bakes...LOL

That would have been a heck of video...watching the car disappear into the corn...chute and all! LMAO!

My sister arrived late and was really disappointed she didn't get to see the chute pop. So on the last round, even though I had an issue shifting at the big end, I tossed the stupid thing a third time for her at just over 100 mph!

loudbang and enloe like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ROUND ONE: We rolled into to the track about 9 a.m. just as the guys were unlocking the gate so we got our early bird parking spot under the big tree near the concession stand. We were very excited and actually sat and enjoyed the shade for an hour or so before touching the Austin.

We had an issue with the new longer throttle cable we installed...speaking of just leaving things alone. We could not get it to open full throttle. Even after spending the better part of an hour playing around with it, we still came up a 1/2" short of the throttle stop but decided to just leave it alone. We will have to fab up a new bracket for it to keep it in better alignment but no big issue.

We we roll up to the line with our new horizontal cross bar and pre-loaded right rear shock ready to lay one down.
    It was not idling very well so I had to keep feathering the throttle. So that meant pull it back into neutral, let out the clutch...pump up the brakes with my left foot, hold and push the line lock. Then back on the clutch, back in first and then light the tires. Sort of a pain in the butt not to mention it really messes with your rhythm. Anyway long story short I didn't get enough brake pressure so we just rolled right through the lock and got very little heat in the tires.

We blew right past the start line exactly like we did first round of the Meltdowns. I hustled it back and lit the tree. On the third light both cars launched early. I went -.125 and the bad ass red 34 Ford Coupe next to me went -.127 so I guess in the real world of drag racing I gave that one away. But I sort of hands full at the time!

It is hard to see from the camera angle but we were all over the place in first and second. I finally got her straight and into third gear and even though we left a red light at the start, the Austin ran the coupe down. We went 10.20 to his 10.70 and even with the crazy first two gears, still managed nearly 144 mph out the back gate. But that race had it all! A couple of killer cool cars (I love that coupe, it was awesome!), the crowd loved the Austin being all over the place and then it took every inch of the track available to run him down.

I had already decided to scratch one off the bucket list at this race by pulling the chute. I had been warned to drive through it, don't let off and then pull it etc. So at 144 mph I pulled it but to be honest I didn't feel anything. Maybe too much adrenaline at the big end. I actually turned around to look to see if it deployed. When I saw it back there, I got on the brakes. As I said earlier, I nearly waited too long as I thought I was going to wind up in the corn field chute and all....LOL!

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ROUND TWO: We came back to the pits after the first run scratching our head a bit. I had been prepared (or at least as prepared as you can be) for the car to get wacky. But it has been so well behaved. The car has always gone so straight. But there is no questions, today it is a different animal. I took a quick look under the car to make sure we had not broken something obvious but all is just the way we left built it.

It is really hot and the track is a bit greasy so that may have been a factor. We let a few pounds of air out of the slicks and decided to try the other lane in round two. I thought about taking some power out of it but to be honest, this kind of track (if that is the issue) is exactly what this car was designed for. But I gave my phone back to Dad at the start line so we could get a good look at what the car was doing.

Same result...although not as dramatic as round one but still a handful through 2nd gear. This time only a mid 10 second run but still pretty hard out the back at 140 mph. When I got back to the pits I watched the videos. The car just simply is not rotating like normal. In my opinion it is the stupid right rear spring we added in an attempt to preload. In my opinion there is no reason to make another pass unless we can fix the issue so we skipped round three, took the shock off, removed the spring and reinstalled it. An absolute complete pain in the backside in this car especially at the track. But we got it done.

loudbang likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ROUND 4: With the shock back in place we are ready for round three. We just need to barely get into the 9s to lay down the fastest pass in the class and one final pass to do it. So I staged the car and let it rip one last time. It was the spring because the car launched hard and straight. Just look at the wheel through 1st and 2nd...

We were on a really good pass. I am not sure if it had a 9.80 in it but we will never know as when I grabbed 4th gear some how the straight gate shifter lever dropped down and instead of pulling back to 4th it was reverse. That was the end of the run, we coasted through in the low 11s at 109 mph. I was so pissed I reached up and hit the chute one last time for my sister whom got there late and missed the first two...LOL It took a while to figure out what happened. I actually thought I pulled it out of 5th gear but after watching the videos, we never made it to 5th gear all day including the last run. Between the missed gear and a bit shy of wide open throttle we came up short but still had an absolute blast hanging in the pits and visiting with racers and fans.

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gonmad, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You know I had this guy I know tell me I need to learn how to shift my digger but I think I need to tell him to practice what he preaches lmao glad to see it work out for ya man

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kiwijeff, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  8. Mount a go pro under the car pointed at the rear end.

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I know that guy...and if I am not mistaken he has a straight gate shifter. Gotta be a real yahoo to miss a gear with that thing...LOL

10. rooman

rooman

Good idea Brian. A ladder bar car should not torque over at all (apart from maybe squeezing the right tire a little) and adding or subtracting the spring should only affect the bounce/rebound overall. Something is twisting somewhere.

Roo

mad mikey likes this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well HOOP how was the eclipse? Good to see you again. For you guys that don't know it, I think old HOOP pulled a fast one on his wife to get to the HAMB DRAGS. She wanted to see the eclipse from central MO etc. so he said we will just make a trip out of it. Somewhere along the line he said something like, "Hey, you know I think the HAMB DRAGS are the weekend before....LOL! Something like that right HOOP? LOL. Either way it was great to see you guys again, thanks for dropping in and saying hello. Have a safe trip home.

loudbang likes this.
  12. I was sitting in the stands at the starting line and watching your 1st 2 runs made me nervous as hell! Man, I didn't know if you were gonna slap the guard rail or what! Glad to see the next run without the spring was straight and true.
    Looks like a ton of fun to me.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know...My Dad about freaked out on the first run. I wished the stupid go pro had been working correctly because that would have been a fun video watch. I got back to the pits and Dad is just shaking his head. I said well I had to drive her a little bit there. He said it really scared him. He said he was pretty sure he could read Dragnasty off both sides of the car before 60'! Lol...

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 7.38.41 PM.png
    A fellow HAMBer sent me this photo today...you can sort of follow the black marks and get an idea of where we were.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    loudbang, enloe and saltflats like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's how you know you are doing your job for the sponsor.

loudbang, Deuced Up! and enloe like this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did you run James I didn't see you make a pass all day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Poor old car just got slower.......
    But made it on the trailer so things look good for this comin weekend in Cedar Falls Iowa.
    Not sure my car likes the hot and humid weather so.....
    First pass at 12.14 PM runs a 12.83 @106 not bad but not good...
    Second pass at 1.14 PM runs a 12.92 @ 105 .....shit I don't have jets or the eye for trying to tune down for the weather so I just ride the wave......but the car spun like mad on launch.....
    Third pass it runs a 12.95 @105 still spun on launch......I did chance tire pressure....just seem to go down hill on the 60 foot.....never seen much rubber on the track.
    Not to certain at this point that I didn't have the best class round pass.
    Forth and final pass it wants to not start and make me have a dog and pony show to get it fired and they were kind enough to let let me make a pass for a worst of a 12.98 @105 spun and bogged on the line.
    All in all I am happy and hope this coming weekend is better.

loudbang likes this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I should have done this first......You didn't miss much.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Forgot to add the third pass was at 3.06 and the fourth was at 4.32 PM

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks for clearin the name.
    You are just too much.....
    Not sure why I wasn't any help for you....may have been the heat also....this thing they call old age ain't no joke.

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well at least you got to make 4 passes and drive it on the trailer I broke mine the first pass

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I knew you wouldn't let me down......somethin tells me I whopped your ass for the day.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I still outran your ass by a fair margin lmao

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not for the last round.
    You better not slip up cause I could sneak up on you.

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saturday we took the Austin out for photo shoot. I chose an stretch of original route 66 concrete about 10 miles from my house. We had a great time. Took Dad's car along and shot it to while we were at it.

Edited7.jpg

Edited10.jpg

edited15.jpg

Edited8.jpg

edited14.jpg

IMG_7400.JPG

IMG_7402.JPG

IMG_7424.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

edited19.jpg

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Your dads car is too cool :)

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are going to get some pie crusts slicks for it and race it at the HAMB Drags next year too!

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  30. When you go pie crust use 12 inch radirs. No inner tubes. Do a few huge burnouts to make the tires flat. Call me for the secret tire softening recepie.