Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Gasser Build in England

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nervous Nick, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Nervous Nick

Nervous Nick
    from England

The vast majority of Austin Dorset's were built for export, with many destined for the USA. Thankfully you saw the benefit of taking the diminutive car and breathing new life into it, during the Gasser era. Motivated by the images I saw in various American publications, I set out to own one, which is quite difficult. This is because of my earlier comments, and finding one in England has been a challenge. At the time of writing this there are only 17 known examples in the country. A couple of years ago, I finally had the chance, and got hold of a project. It was a Hot Rod earlier in its life, before being revamped for some serious drag racing which involved some serious slamming, a tube chassis and bodywork that makes the purists weep. That project did not get completed, and the car was sold on, with the new owner (Matt) aiming to race in our highly successful Gasser Circus. The rules meant the body had to be returned to original and the tube chassis, served eviction papers. A new box chassis was built for the car and a donor rear section acquired from the more readily available Austin Devon. Here are a few images which show the car during these periods. More updates to follow.

2. Can,t see a single pic, just a big ERROR, no permission to view media in album message.

3. Model B

Model B

Hey Nick, your photos arn't showing when I click on the links. Shows H.A.M.B Error.
    Recognize my avatar ?

4. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Enjoyed your pictures.....Great car.
    I'm a fellow Austin owner. Austin - My Pickup.jpg

5. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Seen this truck at the Willy's Home Run years ago. So nicely built with the box fender sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Love it. These are such cool cars.
    Did you consider using an original frame under it? They´re supposed to be super tough, at least with a cage added.
    Somebody really did a number on the bodywork!

7. Nervous Nick

Nervous Nick
    from England

Hi James, yes someone did a number on the bodywork, when they originally slammed the car. Thankfully a skilled metal man Merv Barnett over here worked wonders on taking it back to original.

8. Nervous Nick

Nervous Nick
    from England

Thats one unique Austin pickup you have there, it looks ace in green.

9. Oh right, Merv did a job for me once too. Top guy.

10. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

THANKS for the compliment. Good little truck...LITTLE being the key word.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Love the little English cars for hot rods. That's why I build Morris Minors.