Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin builds a gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Austin kays, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Austin kays

Austin kays

Its time for another project! Not really another but a "new" one to me. I say not really another because my trusty old 49 chevy project that has kinda stalled out.(due to lack of intrest) is on its way to a new home and the 51 chevy business coupe I traded for is coming to take its place.

The 51 at this point has a straight axle out of a late 50s chevy truck along with the rear end. The engine is a late 60s early 70s 400 c.i chevy backed by a th350. That is going to be pulled down the road and swapped out for a 4 speed of some kind. Wheels and tires are going to be the forst thing that gets put on cause these really arent cutting it

Dont know much about the car other than it was bought on a whim at a swap meet by a chevy guy and his wife . They got it home and had second thoughts. As always I will post pictures as I build. IMG_20180710_231531_619.jpeg 20180710_205205_HDR.jpeg Capture%2B_2018-07-10-17-05-55.jpeg

Sent from my LGMP260 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41 likes this.
  2. atch

atch

Traded for? Is the Model A gone?

3. Austin kays

Austin kays

4. Austin kays

Austin kays

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah he mentioned that in the first paragraph.

I’m gonna buy him a tarp to put over this so it doesn’t distract him from finishing the A haha

Austin kays likes this.
  6. Austin kays

Austin kays

Hard to see in the pic but has a real bitchin metal flake blue roof Capture%2B_2018-07-10-17-05-32.jpeg

7. Gotta get it on a flat (ish) surface to be sure but we think that the front may need to drop down a little bit.

The engine and axles will need cyphering to be sure what they actually are, the owner was not sure about the mill and yours truly was just guessing on the axles. But the damned old car is solid even the trunk floor isn't rusted away.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  8. Austin kays

Austin kays

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty sure it’s a 47-54 pickup front axle with car brakes from asking a few people familiar with the car. I’m excited to see it in person!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Skinny ansen sprints up front, steelies and towel city slicks in back, some “tri 5 Chevy” fenderwell headers and a tube bumper in back. 1E277DDE-5FAE-4E04-80FB-AE8998A2DBC6.jpeg

Works for me ;) just made the back wheel and tire have the same size rim as it actually has and put the center of the wheel in the same place. So I’d say a shorter slick is probably a good idea.

But a radiused wheel opening with a nice edge on it is probably a cool idea too..

loudbang likes this.
  11. Got to be careful too tall a tire is mud truckish LOL

loudbang likes this.
  12. Austin kays

Austin kays

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I agree, was just the easiest one to add :)

14. :)
    The car is going to be slick when its rolling. The photo shop does make the idea land on solid ground. Sometimes you have to use your imagination, the minds eye is normally a good one. I think that is something we have lost in this world of formulas. It is not always X(Y+X) = W/Y(Q) We sometimes forget that. You use the formula plus imagination, the formula is a loose guide line the rest is just working your mind and your hands.

OK just call me Deacon. Sorry:oops:

Austin kays likes this.
  15. Austin kays

Austin kays

Well me and @porknbeaner spent the whole day figuring out a trailer from the neighbor, making ramps, digging out chains come alongs straps... You name it... We loaded up the 49 and went on our way to pick up my new chevy.

We ended up getting home around 11 at night. But all in all after wrestling the gasser into my drive way in the pitch black cause the flashlight died. And fussy come alongs.. It all worked out all right.

Im lucky to have the porknbeaner as a friend. Not many people would spend there day doing what we did haha

loudbang and porknbeaner like this.
  16. LOL it helped me escape the bear.

Worked out good for me. The Missus got up and we spent some time together until about 1:30. The bear was sound asleep and time alone is priceless.

loudbang, Austin kays and Tim like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Come on man where’s the pictures lol

Austin kays likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And yes, anyone who calls Beaner a friend is lucky to have him.

loudbang and Austin kays like this.
  19. Austin kays

Austin kays

Tim and loudbang like this.
  20. Austin kays and loudbang like this.
  21. Austin kays

Austin kays

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dig the photo of the two together.

porknbeaner likes this.