Register now to get rid of these ads!

aussie needs advice on a SHEAR, PRESS BRAKE & SLIP ROLL from harbour freight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fc ute, Sep 18, 2006.

1. fc ute

fc ute

a mate has just bought a 59 chev delivery in the US and will be shipping it out to australia shortly.
    now is the time for both of us( 1 each) to buy our combination bender roller setup as we can put it in the container.
    i want one 52" wide so it will take a standard size sheet.
    this one
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41162
    from harbour frieght is the only one i can find in 52"
    i usually work with 1mm steel, will this do the job or am i asking too much from this combination?
    i only have limited space in my workshop so a combination unit would suit me better.
    i really need this to help me finish off the A body panels i am making.
    any body out there used this particular model, or know of another brand in 52"
    any help appreciated
    craig

2. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

1 mm is .03937"...and Fords were made of 19 guage steel...(.040")....20 guage is .035"....I don't think that you'll have much of a problem with this machine....withthe additional .005" stock thickness. it seems to be well built...

So you're building a UTE?....I'm a Model A guy..and I'd love any info or photos you could send me on this variation of the Model A...

mark

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I have a 30" unit that I use. It works well.

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a 40" unit that is marginal. It works for 20 guage at best. Would not buy it again. Neal

The table bows when trying to use the shear and the brake does not bend uniformly. Maybe these problems are because it is 40 inches rather then the 30 inch one as spoke of by Jim. I would only think that the 52 inch one is even worse.

5. I bought the same tool as described and they are a piece of S#!T,,,,:mad:

Mine lasted almost a week,,,thats a lotta money to throw away,,,,

When I took it back to HF,,,they were not happy about a refund,,,,,

I ended up buying a brake from Grissley,,,,,better casting and will last me a lifetime,,,,

The photo below is what happened to the HF Brake,,,poor casting. HRP

Attached Files:

6. I've got a 40", but have used it very little. My steel is coming tomorrow(20ga galv.), so I will soon find out...

7. Bert

Bert

dont we have a supplier or manufacturer here in Oz?.........Im after a brake/folder myself.......just a thought....bert

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've got a Harbor Freight one, I got it super cheap after someone else figured out what a piece of junk it was. I wouldn't buy one again, especially at their price and that you won;t be able to take advantage of the warranty. They suck in a big way...

9. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

I try not to buy tools from Harbor Freight, I've found that by the time they are modified to work properly (their bead roller for example) for the extra work and cost I could have bought real tools. I find most of my equipment used at auctions, classified ads etc.

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This has been my experience too.

11. Nicholson

Nicholson

I have a 30" that I have had for about 7 or 8 years. It works fine for small pieces of 20 ga. but going the full width is pushing it. I have used the hell out it and almost use it everyday. I have ordered replacement blades from HF and got them with no problems. But now I have brass bushings that are worn out and am having a hard time getting them. I even faxed them the parts breakdown and circled the parts I needed and they still sent the wrong parts. Next time I will look into Grizzly or Jet. Anybody use these?

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

don't they sell crappy Chinese-made tools down there? :confused:

maybe you should call China and ask'em to start sending some of the junk your way for a change :rolleyes:

13. T_rav

T_rav

i agree on the harbor freight thing. had a combo and the thing broke after about a month.not many things from there last. you have to take care of it 99.9 percent better than the good stuff. id spend the extra cash on a good one if you have it.

14. fc ute

fc ute

yep, we are starting to get the crappy chinese tools here too.
    i priced a similar machine as the one from harbour freight, but from some chinese mob that sells over here, $1883!!!!!!
    looks like i might start looking at some better quality, but second hand machines
    thanks guys
    craig

15. fc ute

fc ute

no, i'm building a roadster pick up.
    a HOLDEN FC UTE is my everyday drive car

16. Yep, it broke on the 1st piece of 20 ga, even though it's rated for 18 ga. broke in 2 at the bottom of the main frame,right below where the one in post #5 broke, about 5" across. What a piece of Chineese garbage! Now I'm boycotting Asian tools along with their cars. Bought it in feb so they probably won't warranty it. $600 down the drain.

17. 1932tub

1932tub

Like any one tool designed to do 3 jobs on the one machine it does'nt do
    any one job particularly well. Sheet width is 48" if you don't want that 96"
    is the deal.

18. pressbrake

pressbrake
    from usa

A press brake, also known as plate bending machine, is a kind of machine tool for bending sheet and plate material, most commonly sheet metal, material could be normal steel, stainless steel, aluminum and so on. Regularly, two C-frames form the sides of the press brake, connected to a table at the bottom and on a moveable slide at the top. The bottom tool is mounted on the table with the top tool mounted on the upper beam.

A Press brake could be described and distinguished by basic specifications, such as the force or tonnage and the working length (length of plate sheet). Additional parameters include the amplitude or stroke, the distance between the frame uprights or side housings, distance to the back gauge, and work height. The upper slide usually operates at a speed ranging from 1 to 15 mm/sec.

There are many different types of press brake as described by the means of applying force: mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and servo-electric. Hydraulic press brake operates by means of two synchronized hydraulic cylinders on the C-frames moving the upper slide. Servo-electric brakes use a servo-motor to drive a ball screw to exert tonnage on the ram.

SUZOU DAFU MACHINE TOOLS CO.,LTD., is a professional manufacturer of hydraulic press brake and servo-electric press brake. Established in 2003, Suzhou Dafu Machine tools have been engaged indesigning, building and selling hydraulic press brake, CNC hydraulic press brake, guillotines shear and CNC guillotine shear for many years. Thanks to full attention upon press brake and guillotine shear building, and the great investment in metal processing equipments. Dafu had made agood start in the industry of press brake and guillotine shear after our products hit market.
    In 2007, due to reliable quality of press brake and guillotine shear we built and sold, Dafu had gained remarkable reputation in Chinese market and Dafu’s share in the market had been kept increasing year by year, at the same period, Dafu started to pay more attention upon oversea market and seek sales increase from global market. In order to pursue quality of machines and service, our boss decided to expand production capacity, and extended workshop buildings 15,000 square meters more, plus original 15,000 square meters workshop, totally 30,000 square meters in total.