Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Moving To Austin Info Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinisterracing, Apr 24, 2007.

1. sinisterracing

sinisterracing

HI All. We are looking to move to Austin Tx or San Antonio not sure yet but would like some info on what parts would be the best areas to live at and what the job situation is like .I drive semi trailers here so would be looking at doing same thing there. Missus has been to the last 2 roundups and loves it.Any help would be good not just like moving to another state will bring hotrods and drag car sell the rest here.Thanks Mick.

2. 53choptop

53choptop

3. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Bring some UTEs with you!

4. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

Austin's cost of living is FAR more expensive, but the rod-to-human ratio is higher too. Average cost of house in Austin as of Sunday within city limits was (gulp) $240k. Average cost of house in S.A. was $149k*. If you're going to be driving on-the-road, then you could afford to live on the out-skirts of either town and buy a much bigger town. San Antone is a beautiful place to visit but agravating as hell to live in and Austin is great to live in, but damned expensive. It's give and take. pm me if you want more details -
    Thresh

*Austin American Statesman

5. old beet

old beet

Damn, I might move to Austin! As the average house around greater Seattle is around $375K......Ouch!!...............OLDBEET

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Austin rules. Move here!

7. Just dont' wear one of those little distorted cowboy hats that those Englishmen wear... hahahaha!! You'll get yer ass kicked! :D

Go to the nearest cowboy outfitters once you get there and buy a Stetson.

http://www.stetsonhat.com

Sam.

8. Wish i could,Vancouver avg is more like $500k.in the suburbs,less than 40 min out of city,$600k-$750k.

9. old beet

old beet

Ya, but thats like 120K Yankee.

..LOL.........OLDBEET

10. How you gonna work there? Is the missus a US citzen?

Bought my Stetson from Paris Hatters, SA.

But he should wear an Australian hat. An Akubra.

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You don't wanna be within the city limits of either one. Housing costs are about 2/3 outside, in modest areas.

I deal with trucking routinely and might even be able to connect you with some local companies for contract work. You will need a TX CDL. Shoot me a PM or email if you need anything specific. There's plenty of work for those that want it.

12. HAHAHA,unfortunatly i accounted for the money difference.50yr old bungalows in Vancouver,1200 sq.ft.on 50' x80' lots passed the $million(can) mark a few years ago.:D :eek:

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

At least you already have a southern accent? Maybe a little too far south?