Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Hot Rod show....pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binga, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Every year on the Australia Day long weekend the Victorian Hot Rod Association puts on a show in the Melbourne exhibition building.
    I thought I would show a few pics from this weekends show.

The inside of the building would have to be one of the best places to hold a hotrod show.

[​IMG]

A couple of customs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come

Binga

2. A couple of the more HAMB friendly rods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rod Hadfield's Lincoln V12 powered rod that spent most of last year touring around the U.S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Binga

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for the pix.......I saw that p/u at the Bonneville Salt Flats a couple of years back.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

That building is HUGE......

4. A couple more

How about a 1957 Ford ute?

[​IMG]

A nice triumph
    [​IMG]

Beautiful Caddy outside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes the impromtue (sp?) car show, from the people visiting, is better than what is in side. I know some people that just go to look at the cars outside and never go inside.

Binga

5. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Thanks for sharing!

6. Damn, that building is beautiful. Great pics.-MIKE:eek: :cool:

7. Yes we are very lucky to have such a beautiful place to hold a rod show.
    The building was finished in1880 for Melbourne's 1st international exhibition.

Binga

8. rooman

rooman

Binga,
    my first show at the Exhibition Building was the 1971 National Hot Rod Show. That was also the debut of the Muirhead/Splatt Bounty Hunter altered which I eventually crewed on in 72-3 and then again when Chris Tormay owned it. Met Norm Longfield that weekend as well when he was showing the red "T" (Dodge powered back then). I have a bunch of colour trannies from that show but they are still in Australia. I will try to get them over here so that I can scan and post them.
    Was that Benny Gatt's purple Merc in the first set of pix? Saw it at WSID in March of 05 when I was last back in Oz for a visit. Also love the plate on the black Tudor outside--very creative.

Roo

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Great pictures. I love to see cool cars from other areas.

10. Svenny

Svenny

Thanks for posting the pics!

That V-12 PU is awesome. Wish I could have seen it when it was here in the States.

11. Binga, nice pics. Over here in Canada your 57 ford ute would be a 55 meteor. Pat.

12. Great pics Binga;thanks for posting them.I do have a question though:that pic of the black 32 3-window;is it the camera angle or has that body been stretched a bit just behind the doors?

13. Vergil

Vergil

Great pictures, thanks for sharing

14. Roo not sure if it was Benny Gatts Merc but it was part of the Southern Rods from Victoria so he may have sold it.
    The black Tudor has been around for a few years it's a beautiful car and flatty powered.
    And if you get the chance I would love to see your pics.

Binga

15. fordnutz
    The ute is actually called a 57 Mainline ute here.

Binga

16. Safariknut
    I'm pretty sure it's the camera angle.
    Bloody nice car though.

Binga

17. rooman

rooman

Binga,
    when I went back and had a closer look it appears that the Merc is black with purple flames so it is not Benny's.
    Some of my old show photos are in Larry O'Toole's hot rod and drag race history books along with some of the drag race stuff.

Roo

18. Black Heart Coupe

Black Heart Coupe

sweet thanx for postin the pics, i wish i coulda made it down this year. and i do agree most of the time the better stuff is out side

19. Hey Binga I was there the same day, but our paths never crossed! I know this because I can see the roof of my car in the background shot showing the caddy :D

20. For the benefit of our US brothers, Ford Australia had a surplus of 55 and 56 sedans and utes, and so carried them on up to 59 with some minor cosmetic changes in order to get rid of them. Consequently, the American 57s, 58s and 59s are not so common in Aussie. Strangely enough, New Zealand (right next door) had the American models. Both NZ and Australia suffered from import restrictions in the 50s, meaning mainly only farmers could buy new cars. Of course farmers did'nt want two door cars, so both countries had a predominance of four doors cars. Most all two door cars here have been imported from the US in more recent times.

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow and I thought the GNRS was cool, you guys really no how to put a show on.

22. GUILTY!!!

Was cool to catch up. Let me know when you get the RPU sorted!

Danny

23. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Love those cars with the steering wheel on the "right" side.
    It is a lot of fun driving them over here. In Iowa my two 1956 UTEs really stand out in the crowd

Here is my Desoto UTE at the Desoto national meet in Detroit
    [​IMG]

And here is my Plymouth UTE at the Goodguys heartland nationals right here in Iowa
    [​IMG]

24. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I need a blown V-12.

25. Trucker Jr.

Trucker Jr.
    from Fresno

Hey why are the steering wheels all on the wrong side? J/K Cool show and building. Man you guys know how to get them in there.

26. TT66'

TT66'

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing. I remember Rod Hadfield's V-12 truck at the 2005 NSRA Nats in Louisville, KY. Here is a pic I snapped of it. That was pretty cool to see something from Aussie here in the USA. Again thanks for sharing the pics. Great looking Rides.:cool:

Attached Files:

27. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

wow what a cool place to have a show i like the hard wood floor! great pics

28. Rockabilly, Canada supplied the rite hand drive American cars to New Zealand and Australia. That is why the the 57 ford is our 55 meteor and the 58 was our 56 meteor. Also, our early T's had 2 opening doors becuse they needed one on the passenger side for the right hand drive export models. Pat.

29. Brett I gotta say I need glasses bad cause I didn't even see your car and I have been hanging out to see it since you posted pics of it.

Man I suck

Binga

30. I'm sure you'll see it soon enough, anyway its just an old Holden :D.....

BTW nice pics.