Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Aussie 1964 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OzMerc39, May 19, 2021.

1. These days the coupe is a regular, not just to and from work, but going to places of interest.
    FB_IMG_1622459069328.jpg

I never know who I'm going to see while we're out and about.
    20210218_154408.jpg

Some inside pimping:cool:
    20210206_143319.jpg

The coupe is not much of a head turner among other cars, but still generates some interest.
    20200802_114814.jpg

Gathering of the faithful...
    20200802_165214.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Bleach, Budget36, Cooon and 3 others like this.
  2. Then, all of a sudden... the registration and insurance grew by one !

The Coupe had to park outside to make way for another :eek::eek::eek: type of Coupe.

20200919_182644.jpg

1930s Preview

20201204_220238.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Bleach, Cooon, 61Cruiser and 2 others like this.
  3. spanners

spanners

Nice lineup of classics there. If you have any problems with that dizzy you installed there is a bloke in Epping, Sydney that does stock rebuilds or in my case converted a Holden Grey motor dizzy to electronic. Doesn't look much different to stock but it certainly woke up the engine in my avatar. His name is David Andrews, Vintage Racing Developments. Look him up, he does some interesting conversions and he's a nice bloke to talk to.

OzMerc39 and KiWinUS like this.

4. Hey Spanners

Thank you for the advice. I would like to get the stock one rebuilt by someone reliable so that I have a back up. Seems strange I know but I do like to hold onto original parts as well. The Coupe dizzy has been great for over 50 years and I'm kinda sentimental about that.

I'll be sure to look him up... sounds like interesting stuff that he does.

61Cruiser likes this.
  5. I'm amazed at where I end up at times. Starting this journey I would never have thought that I would have a strong desire and connection, to own an American style Custom car. Yet here we are.

Searching through my own car experience and what that meant to me, I thought of my long lasting pursuit of engine performance, speed, street & strip racing ... and never imagined, landing where I am.

Starting to look for that project car, I spoke with a mate of mine who had been building Roadsters and Coupes for a number of years, as a business. He said ' the best advice I can give you is ... don't build one.. buy one that's running and personalise it ' ... ' that way you can spend more time enjoying it by driving it regularly '

While this was not what I was thinking, it did register with me. So the search in earnest began. Roadster, coupe rods or a custom, they all entered the equation.

I no longer knew exactly what the right car would be.... but I knew that I would know it when I saw it.

Enter this one......

20200516_162031.jpg

It had all the right curves in all the right places...
    20200503_185224.jpg

The styling was something out of this world...
    20200711_110935.jpg

So uniquely different to anything else I knew...
    20201011_205941.jpg

Most of all ... I was to learn quickly what a Flathead V8 was...:eek:
    20200509_133237.jpg

I knew it when I saw it.... and confirmed it when I drove it more than a month later:cool:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Bleach, Cooon, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  6. As we enter twenty-six years of motoring and ownership, the coupe has never been more reliable. My original thoughts of selling the '64 to fund the '39 have since disappeared. In the end, I just found it too painful to consider. I will enjoy the '39 and see what the future brings. Who knows it may be more of the same ...it could be something completely unexpected. Either way, I know that it will be enjoyable.

From small beginnings in the southern suburbs of Sydney with very few aspirations to own and enjoy the kind of cars that I have, I can honestly say it has been great. They are certainly not big dollar $$ cars but they do mean a lot to our family.

I feel that is the essence of the sport. What we do brings smiles, not just to our own faces, but to those around us and many who see the enjoyment we have for our pieces of history in 'motion'.

:)

20200114_071859.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Bleach, Cooon, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. :):cool::)

CollageMaker_20210615_212821620.jpg

:D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Bleach, Cooon, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if by some chance you bring one over to the states and are cruising up the west coast….then say you have to get home in a hurry, you can park either one at my place.
    Oh, leave the keys;)

Stogy, 61Cruiser and OzMerc39 like this.
  9. Hahahaha... Hey mate..... I love it !!! It's a deal..... :D

Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

11. Budget36

Budget36

That ‘39 looks pretty dang nice as it is, well done! Have anything in mind to put some touches on it?
    I’d probably just sit and stare at it, drive it and when I got back home, sit and stare at it some more!

12. Well mate.... I am absolutely with you. I certainly do a lot of pinching myself between staring in amazement. I cannot believe I own it.

I do plan to refresh the interior. The previous owner redid all the floors and it has makeshift carpet in it. So I figure if I am going take everything out to put new carpet in, then I might as well re-pack the seats and put some decent coverings on.

Apart from that I just want to do as much driving as I can and make reliability the main focus.

I still have some carb issues, since it's running triple strombergs. I'll need to work through that....

Mostly it's about enjoyment and sharing that with others.

How about you? Any plans?

61Cruiser, Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

@OzMerc39 , my plans have changed like the weather on a deserted South Pacific island;)

Now I set goals, trying to finish my kids car (OT, but SBC/T56) and get my spot to work on one of my projects freed up.
    I’m no good for working in the driveway much anymore, I want hot air in the winter and a water cooler and fan in the summer.
    So for these days I live vicariously through the HAMB when not on my kids car. ;)

14. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

OzMerc39 likes this.
  15. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great goals... as long as the kids are lending a helping hand. However, a friend of mine recently said something similar..where he said he was thinking of selling his rods and enjoying them through his children (mainly son) who has his own rods and customs.

The HAMB is a great place for information and like-minded people enjoying life... I really enjoy the people I meet here.

:cool:

61Cruiser, Stogy and Budget36 like this.

16. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey thanks @61Cruiser for that mate... I hadn't quite thought of it how you just explained, but your right it really does give it that custom look while being sympathetic with the era....

I might even use that on my new information board.....

:D:)

Stogy likes this.
  17. A little bit of late-night work on the '39 as I was rebuilding the top end. Thank goodness for google and H.A.M.B online. The learning curve with 30's cars was steep and I soaked up as much as I could.

Researchin parts.jpg

In the not too distant future, there could be a revamp of the interior which should give it a real prohibition look. I intend to go away from the light grey colour and make it a little more sinister !!!

:mad::mad::mad:
    20200516_154847.jpg

20200516_162634.jpg

61Cruiser, Bleach and Stogy like this.
  18. Are you sure? Prohibition ended in 1933.;)
    Take a look over at the Custom Car Chronicle, there's a whole feature section on interiors.

OzMerc39 likes this.
  19. Thanks mate. Good advice... I always enjoy thumbing through different sources for inspiration.

:cool:

20. Finally the V8 conversion for the Falcon is on the calendar. Over the last year or so I have been gathering the pieces that will be needed.
    A Rod & Custom company here down under has done all the hard work and produced a conversion kit with the bits and pieces. Naturally I grabbed on of those.

The driveline is almost complete and the first step will be engine, transmission and diff out. Fit up the new driveline. Once I'm happy take it all back out and begin the bodywork.

As I get further down the line it's looking more and more like a rotisserie job.

20220801_143028.jpg
    A baby 289ci which will have some nice bolt on fruit. Neat cruiser is the goal.

20220805_133640.jpg
    Cruising in town getting my monies worth from the 6cyl.

20220701_155051.jpg
    Trying to imagine what I want the finished panel and paint to look like.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    61Cruiser, Bleach, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  21. 20220722_111806.jpg
    I like the 63 US Falcon 'sprint look. Rotunda tachs are way expensive, so I think this Autometer will do instead.

20220529_202816.jpg
    A larger amp alternator will be essential.

20220822_113147.jpg
    Working on restoring taillight buckets.

20220822_170626-BlendCollage.jpg
    Taillight cleaning day.

61Cruiser, Bleach and stillrunners like this.
  22. Come and visit ... plenty of memories I'm sure.

23. Budget36

Budget36

Regarding the V8 swap, there was a thread awhile back about what needs to be done and the difference between the 6 cylinder and V8 falcons. Now maybe just pertains to US cars?
    Gompyshotrods can certainly fill you in if you weren’t aware of them (and if they are like the ones here).
    Have fun with it, least you can tool around in the ‘39 while the Falcon is getting a make over:)

61Cruiser, OzMerc39 and stillrunners like this.
  24. When Ford added the V8 (and convertible model) to the Falcon line in '63, they extensively upgraded the body shell for increased rigidity and strength. Heavier-gauge metal and/or additional bracing was added in the shock towers, frame rails and inner rockers. These changes aren't easy to see, but the give-away was torque boxes added between the frame rails and the rockers, not found on the six cars (except for the convertible). The convertible had additional bracing under the front seats (and used 'vert-only seats/center console) and the same body shell was used on both six and V8 versions. The same differences existed on the first-gen Mustangs also. The Comet was the only outlier, in '64 Mercury switched to the V8 shell for ALL Comets regardless of motor choice. Rumor had that Ford added some or all of these upgrades to some Falcon six-cylinder export versions. Rancheros and wagons got the heavier frame components at the rear with either motor.

All early cars ('63-65) whether original six/V8 swapped or V8 cars can benefit from an aftermarket crossmember under the motor as well as a shock tower brace, and on the six cars in particular, subframe connectors tying the front and rear frame rails together. If converting a six car to a V8, watch the upper a-arm mounting points as these are prone to cracking with the added weight/power. Adding torque boxes if missing will improve shell rigidity.

Ford continued to build several versions of its small/intermediate unibody shell even after switching to a shortened Fairlane platform for the Falcon in '66 ('67 for the Mustang), with a light-duty six shell, a medium-duty for small-block V8s and a heavy-duty for the Fairlane/Mustang FE applications (considerably heavier-duty shock towers was the main difference).

Your Aussie version may have some/all of these upgrades, but you'll have to look to tell.

OzMerc39, 61Cruiser and Budget36 like this.
  25. The AU ones got a lot of upgrades after the first release model because it fell apart pretty quickly. Ford acted almost as quickly and fixed things because the pussy foot rep was hurting sales. They didn't want a car to die before it got a foothold in the market. The rest is history. A long and successful one. The first series never got a V8 from the factory here though.
    Locally built Fairlanes were also in the market concurrently.

OzMerc39 and Budget36 like this.

26. Hey mate ... thanks for that. Great info and I can see that you realise I need all the help I can get.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey mate .. Thank you for that. I can see that you realise , as I do, that I need all the help I can get. :p

I have a Castlemaine Rod Shop conversion kit where they have done all the difficult work in regards to crossmember strength and engine/transmission & radiator mounts. I had read recently that Aussie Falcons were renowned to have a weaker front end and were prone to twisting. I am hoping to avoid that and I am really welcome of sage advice on all of that.

I am really excited to give the 'ole girl a new lease on life. The next few years will be pivotal in many ways as humanity struggles with gas, fuel and electricity power for transport and day to day needs. I just can't help myself these days ..since retirement it seems that I have become ..all about enjoyment of life, form my working years, now that I have a greater ability to do so.

I really hope that you also enjoying life and even though it will be through your kids that you get to 'tool time' helping them and maybe at some point soon you are able to work on some personal project's that bring you great happiness,

OZMERC

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    61Cruiser and Budget36 like this.
  27. ---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve
    Have no fear my friend this will be a step by step rebuild. Ford Oz improved the marque as they produced from 1960 onwards. By the time we got to 1964 Ford Oz did offer a few custom ordered V8 cars. This was done through another company based in Melbourne who understood the requirements for the addition power and stresses on the car.

Mate ... I really appreciate you taking the time to write your post. I have read through it a couple of times now and really taken note of the things you mention. I have then gone back over my plan for the XM and thought about what I need to consider and 'have I included what Steve said?. Thanks mate it really gave me a good feeling that I have a 'go to resource' in regards to not causing further problems down track, because I have forgotten of disregarded something.

I intend that once I get everything out of the car I will be going over the front end with a fine tooth comb & a magnifying glass style inspection. Then I can rectify what needs to be done. I feel this thread is going to take off again and perhaps I should end it and begin a new one for the actual rebuild!?!?

I want the car to be uniquely Aussie ...as it is ... but also have a few salutes to the '63 US Sprint, as I feel it is the predecessor that lead the way to both Mustang and the Australian V8 GT Falcon scene in 1967.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  28. STOP PRESS !!!!

Aussie 64 Falcon goes 'Under Wraps' as the 'resto' rebuild is under way. Please stay tuned, as this 27 year story evolves and a new 'era emerges.

For those who have been following this thread from the start (particularly those shire/Sydney guys) or perhaps those ex-Pats now living in the US. I am hoping to deliver a neat little piece of Aussie motoring history with a few personal tweaks. I know that Dad is with me... I feel him looking over my shoulder occasionally, particularly at this time of year around his birthday. He helps me more than I even realise, to make the right choices.

Specific updates will be posted as we progress.

20210324_201149.jpg

OZMERC ... keeping the Falcon dream alive !!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  29. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I cannot wait for the next exciting instalment in your journey with the Falcon. Great thread, thanks for including all of us.

OzMerc39 likes this.