Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aurora Racetrack Layouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jan 19, 2011.

1. crowen57

crowen57

Great thread. My old Aurora stuff is long gone, but I think I might have saved my kids Tyco stuff, just gotta' re-arrange the attic to find it! Just what i needed . . . something else to occupy my internet time!

2. I still got all my old cars but lost the track years ago. I recently bought a new set and tried to run my old cars on it. WOW are they slow. The new cars that came with the set are rocketships! I'd still like to have full size copies of the orange 57 Chevy Nomad gasser, the black 56 F-100 with the flames and the black 29 Ford woody. Many car additctions must have started with these sets in the early 70's.

3. I also remember using Mattels Vac u form on the hot wheels cars to make bodies for the ho cars.

4. das858

das858

I still have an A/FX set and a few cars, was into them big time in the early 70's. We had a slot car club that raced every Saturday for cash.

5. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I have a Aurora track set. About 100 pieces, eight 1/32 cars a couple are old monogram vettes. Set it up at Tommy Vs shop and raced for a couple months last year. Wanted to set it up again this year but have been real busy trying to get my roadster going. I have a better power supply now. Next winter for sure.

6. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I have a bunch of HO slot car stuff. Here's my track, it uses Lap Timer 2000 software and will accurately count all 4 lanes. Believe me, if you don't have a track timer or lap counter, it gets boring after a short time - it takes you longer to set up, than to play. It is mounted on a 36x80 solid core door with legs added.

[​IMG]

Most of my cars are more modern Tomy Super G+ cars and a few Tyco 440x2's. I've been thinking about buying some T-Jet's and having some old school modified racing or fairgrounds style.

If any of you want some TOMY AFX track, I have a whole set of 4 lane International Raceway without the cars that I might let go.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I was thinking of buying that set new! I already have 2 of "the Giant" Tomy tracks.... That's about 120 foot of track right there..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

I still have over a 100 pcs of track and a lot of cars. I used to have a pretty nice 4 lane set-up in the basement.

9. dsprint2000

dsprint2000

Xmas 1972.....life as a kid changed forever. Dad bought the AFX set and we put it up on the dining room table with all leafs in - 10' . From there, it was constant trips to teh hobby store for parts or new cars or bodies or track.... I remember when magnatraction first came, then g-plus. Still have stashed away my 3 best cars of all time - the 101 Shadow, my Renault g-plus and my Richard Petty g-plus. Every year from then on, the track went up on Dec 25th (we celebrate on 24th) and stayed up till Easter. All the kids came to my house in the winter and they even all bought cars and stored them at my place. I remember getting the Daytona high bank when it came out, the flex track, crossovers and squeeze lanes and of course, the 4-way intersection. We wouls make a different track every year - some times 3 levels high, but always ended with a a 10' straight with a 90 degree turn to the start/finish line.

Wow - the memories just flooding in as I type..... modifying bodies to look like winged sprint cars, painting our own bodies, decals from model kits that were not used.... Dad even converted a few of my Hot Wheels into slot cars - much to my chagrin.....

Great thread!

David

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Have no pics but my daughters one last year ,I even bought all the cars I had when I was a kid ,Didnt spend alot maybe 250 for everything ,Didnt set up this year for christmas .But was fun setting up and to get working last year ,,,,Had it set up in the garage and was playing with it instead of building my car ,My girls liked it alot ,But lost interest and started losing stuff ,So Its under my bed ,Put away ........

11. NONHOG

NONHOG

Got into it like wildfire with my 10 yo boy. Now he's 13 and its suddenly nerdy. So I'm a nerd:D

10' straight on ythe track in my shop loft. 1/32 scale a few modified and they scoot! Couple of oldies a co-worker gave me.

Attached Files:

12. My Aunt worked for Aurora when i was a boy and was able to buy stuff through their catalogs for half price. Have slot cars, model motoring and A/FX and some N gauges trains. Have the 69 GTO conv slot car, Cuda funny car, Cheeta, Nomad and a bunch of others.
    Would like to find more and set them up when i build my shop.
    Lots of fun.

13. Deuces

Deuces

I had a picture of the old Aurora building somewhere..... I'm still looking for it!

14. Deuces

Deuces

15. Wow timely thread! I've been getting some of my old cars off eBay to use on an old AFX track. 12 cars so far, a mix of rereleases and genuine old ones.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Same here!... Sometimes you can get some great deals on the bay.. And sometimes, you let them pass..

17. Deuces

Deuces

18. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Deuces, more "shape" was added to top (for sure) and bottom. I think I added some to get the hair more correct.
    I think I saved her, I will try to post a picture next week.

19. Red Ram Hemi

Red Ram Hemi
    from Shack

I have lots of slot cars HO, 1/32 & 1/24 still enjoy them have a 1/32 track setup in the garage, workin on a HO drag strip!!

Red Ram

20. 59 brook

59 brook

a freind of mine gave me a ninco 1/24 setup he had so we built a 5' x 10' track . then we decided we needed to all race so now we hace a 1/24 oval and a 4 lane ho track. now the real problem is my 8 year old daughter has the unique power to whip my butt , well dad has the answer this weekend lead weights on her car after all it ain't cheatin if ya don't get caught and they wont have a clue haha

21. nickleone

nickleone

22. boss245

boss245

I got the AFX track in the mid 70's, inherited a bunch of vibrator cars and thunderjets. There was a hobby store at 9 and woodward in Ferndale Mi called "Models n Hobbies", had RC airplanes on the ceiling, huge train tracks in the front wiondows and asection that just sold slot cars. Even the the late 70's I could still buy brandnew cox cars, thunderjets and Car Model mag's. Anyone else from that era/area remember that? There was a store and slot car track called "the groove" on main and 10 mile in Royal oak, many years ago, before the highway went through, there was one on 14 and woodward too. I had all kinds of mags and when my folks moved out of their house they all disapeared except two grocery bags full, one had a few car modeling mags and cartoon's mags. I still have those.
    I do still have a box of the old cars, every one modified, including the semi trucks, I sold the golden gate track last year (when I was out of work for 16 months). I also have the days of thunder ho track, 2 speed steer tracks and a bunch of afx track.

I want to set up a drag strip, and saw the Autoworld John force track, pretty cool.

I suppose we all have hot wheels too? I sold all my originals last year, but still have the "modern era" collecton from 98 to the present. I just buy the ones I like though, I have about 2 thousand of them right now.

23. My friend Jud and I both got a set for Christmas, the largest sets Aurora made. We combined both sets in his garage spreading over two ping pong tables. Somehow, we used both transformers, each powering half the track. Later, we stripped off the car bodies and put scale Sherman, Panzer and Tiger tank bodies on them. It looked like the Afrika Corps on speed! What a blast.

24. Deuces

Deuces

I probably got about??... $$$$$$$$$ that much tied up in all my slot car stuff and model kits.. :eek:

25. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Had Eldon tracks when I was a kid......

I bought a 1/43 scale at a garage sale last fall for my grandson....He is 2 and just wants to knock the cars off the track....Maybe next year....lol

26. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

4 foot x 16 foot it is the newer tomy track
    i have all my old cars which i run along with new ones
    and my old afx track is put away

[​IMG]

and my 26 in x 80 in portable track

[​IMG]

all wired from the underside with braking and reversable
    [​IMG]

Paul Jug

27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

This is where I spent A LOT of my younger years when it was cold or raining....
    A friend of mine built the track in the 70's.. I found it in the early 90's missing all of the add ones such as signs, people, buildings, etc...
    I still have it sitting in my parents basement covered with tons of real car parts, but hoping soon to have an office in my new garage and set the track back up there...
    I'd like ot collect a few of the big tire thunderjet chassis and have so whoever stops by can race with an equal car. The track was made before you could create a really wide 4 lane oval.. so the corners are sliced and fitted together to be about 3.5ft wide.. this left a bit of a choppy corner but doesnt seem to affect the cars... the roughness of the surface did reek havoc on the highly powerful traction magnet cars... so the thunderjet type should be a lot of fun and not so fast that you break the car in the event of a crash...
    the total table is 4'x16' and theres 6 "red lights" along the rail all wired to a switch on one end for yellow green and red...
    I am sure glad that I have saved this and can now set it up like an old dirt track diorama! Seems it will be something really neat to have in my office!

Sorry for the quality of this photo... it was my attempt to make a panoramic photo at that time!

Zach
    [​IMG]

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have always loved slot cars with the 1/32 scale being my favorite. My first set was a Eldon which I got for my 7th birthday in 1969. In 73, I got a Tyco HO scale set which was a slot car/train combo set. I used to have a ball staging train/car wrecks. I am planning on buying a Strombecker set so I can spend quality time with my Grandson who loves cars. His first words besides "Mom" is "Cars".

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Wow, talk about timing, I just ordered an HO slot car off eBay and am currently shopping for a track to get back into it after an almost 40 year hiatus. I had over 100' of track and 30 some cars back then, I was at my peak around '71-'72. I still have one of my old Camaro T-Jet cars and some bodies, mostly Camaros and Firebirds. I also have a '67 Cougar body Why I kept that particular car is a mystery now as it was a real dog. Glad I have it now.

I remember those and actually built a '67 Camaro in that style believe it or not. I still have the body and am planning to "restore" it if I can find the right pieces. Wish I hadn't cut that particular one up now though, it was a Butternut Yellow SS, hard to find now. It was one of my fastest T-Jet cars back then, then the A/FX and G-Plus cars came out and ruined it all for the T-Jet based cars..........

30. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Wow ! This is a blast from the past.
    I had an original set that included 2 McLaren race cars from late 70's ?
    Then added another set witha truck & trailer and a cop car that had a cardboard bridge ect.

Cant remember what happend to them, but great times laying on the living room floor racing :D until our pet cat cam along & swiped them off the track :mad: