Register now to get rid of these ads!

August banger meet 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, Aug 1, 2009.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

bill, I went and did a search on that pump as it sounded like a great alternative to the cheapo cube type pumps that like to die at the worst possible time. here's the info I found.

I just checked on napaonline and it looks to be priced at about $90 depending on which one you get. not too terrible....

2. There have been some posts recently asking about pulling engines. At this time I'm swapping the engines between my modified and my RPU. This method of attaching the hoist has been around for some time but I thought I would share with newcomers. In the photo of the bracket this is the way the engine came out with the flywheel (16lbs) and clutch attached. Using the strap give much more flexibility than a chain which makes it easier to tilt the engine as needed to clear. In case you are interested the strap is from Mc Master Carr and is rated at 3800 lbs. I tie it with a square knot as I didn't see a buckle that I felt would work. On this bracket I used flathead countersunk Allen bolts as I have a clearance problem with the headers on the modified. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Well Jeff, how did it go?

I remember my first trip in my A roadster after long term storage, a trip I'll never forget! Actually every trip in my banger roadster makes me smile. I don't know that I've ever felt as mechanically accomplished driving anything else which is kind of crazy considering it is the simplest motor of anything I own!

4. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Pretty Cool Truck,..keep up the good work on it.

5. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Drivin the ol'banger across country; you got about everything you'll need listed there.

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

[​IMG]

Call Airtex (www.airtexproducts.com) with questions and surf their online catalog for specs and mounting position. I got my E8310 at Autozone for $56 IIRC, this one has a good mount system. When you get the pump, the wires aren't labeled + or -. One is black and the other is black/yellow. PM me and I'll have a look at my car to let you know which is which or call Airtex. Get an inline filter too, just find onet that has the right in and out size for your fuel lines. Apparently, electric pumps die fast without one.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. Wildfire

Wildfire

Hey Zach, the guy that built my banger engine (Ron Kelley from Dallas), says that lower compression is good for horsepower. His focus is on air flow in and really likes the Brumfield head for the most power. I went with a polished aluminum winfield because it looks faster than the iron super brumfield. He'll talk your ear off about all the tech behind his position on what works and what doesn't. Good guy and he knows everybody.

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Over the weekend at the Nats in Louisville I was talking to H&H about building a hopped up banger. He told me I should keep my A block, that blew me away, I always thought a B or the elusive C would be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

Maybe I should clarify what I intend to do with this motor-- general everyday use, backed by a T5 and good for long cross country hauls. Hopped up but dependable.

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

is this pump limitied in it's mounting position?? sideways would be ideal to mount on the frame rail??

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

They told me the same thing. I've now broken two of their A engines ( same engine twice ) and I am now running a Stock B pulled out of a 33 comercial truck that I put a 7.5-1 head on and new pistons. I've Thrashed on this B much harder then I did the A and I am very happy with it. There is no subtitute for bearing journal size. B has larger bearings and that is the key to life in my book.

11. Chevy Girl. Her is what I can tell you and I'm new to this Banger stuff. I just spent 4 days at B-Vill driving my A. It has a stock block and is a fresh motor built by Peat Richardson. He races Lickety Split 30 Coupe and just set 2 new records in Vintage class this year. The carborated motor ran 96 mph and change. Went to a supercharger and ran over 101 mph. If the B block was a better one to build I'm sure he would be using one. Not the case. I think your safe using what you have.
    I'm still in brake in mode and on the learning curve so I can't speak from experiance.
    The Wizzard

12. If you can swing it, a counterbalanced crank will make your A more dependable (less vibration = longer life). I've got a buddy that puts about 10,000 a year on an A with a stock crank though, so it's not mandatory. He did spin-balance the whole assembly though. He's got 30-40,000 mi on it now and it has been the most dependable A motor I've ever seen. He hasen't opened the bottom end up since he built it, But he did blow a head gasket last week. Swapped it out and went on down the road. Still running babbits too. He's running a pair of '77 Sportster carbs on gravity. It's backed with a S-10 5 speed to bring down the rpms. It flat scoots down the highway. Luke

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  13. I run a B in mine...it's a diamond block with a stock pinned- weight counter balanced crank. SU-1R cam and a 6.0:1 head and it runs fine. Has a great broad powerband, too!

14. For a good dependable engine either one is a good choice, depending on the intended use. If you want a reliable engine "A" or "B" don't run at high speed meaning RPM's. When we tried to run OUR welded counterbalanced "A" cranks up to 4000 Rpm's they broke at #4 rod journal. The crank now in that "A" engine is a "B" ground offset for a total of 4 9/16" stroke BUT we now use a SBC vibration dampener and we are in a " Thrash " to get it running in the modified for this years 66 hill climb. The engine we pulled out is a "B" that has made many passes at or over 4000. I installed a dampener on it when I put it together. It has a "C" crank and Taylor connecting rods. These are both fully inserted and I would not hesitate to run either one at 2700 on the street. The main thing is to research the engine builder. My next one will be a Riley 4 port on a "B" with babbit and full pressure at about 7.5 to 1 compression. In So America they ran poured bearings to 7000 RPM's in the 40's and 50's but that was with the dip and squirt system

15. Wildfire

Wildfire

mines on sideways. But I don't have any miles yet

16. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Sam, I saw her on the salt. Looks real good. I'm glad you picked an early T.

17. RussTee

RussTee

i have often wondered about the a b and class header motor debate but maybe the forgotten motor is the ar model a motor especially if you are running a overhead[5 bearing camshaft]

18. Some of the things I have heard about 4 bangers coming outta H and H are not to promising. The V-8s I have heard great things about but not the bangers. I think reputation and experience would be the best thing to look for in a builder along with proximity to your location. Theres a few miles between LA, Ca and Ohio. Can't just pull the engine if there is a problem and take it down to their shop. Maybe try your local model A club to find out who is rebuilding the club members engines.-Weeks

19. When you say AR I hear cash registers and restorers saying whoa, whoa, whoa. I recently acquired the left overs from a restorer of model As and when I took it to another restorer to ID he wigged at some of the AR parts I had and then said, "hold onto this I have only seen one of these EVER and that was in the Restorer magazine." He has been restoring model A(s) for 20+ years. Best to leave the AR junk to the restorers IMHO.-Weeks

20. Great looking engine SUHRsc.

21. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Very helpful advice, thanks. You're not the first to recommend a "C" crank in an "A" or "B" block.

As for H&H I trust them, they're good people. I didn't necessarily mean having them build it when I said I talked to them. It was more of a general banger info building conversation. I will have to get it built local, I plan to do as much as I can with a watchful eye over me!

This guy is relatively close and he's got a lot of nice hop up parts for bangers. I'm not sure that he builds motors but I'm betting he knows someone fairly local that does and does them well:
    http://www.dan4banger.com/index.html

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

every post you make on the hamb drives me nuts! we share the same last name and 4 and 6 were my race numbers. I keep thinking I'm makin posts!!!!:D

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

When I picked up my Coupe the first thing we noticed was that it had an AR 'powerhouse' generator. I was all ready to pull my pistols and start shooting into the air 'cause I'd struck gold...

turns out that was the only eary A part on my coupe :p oh well.

24. I would certainly follow Dan4bangers advice He is one of the top people and very knowledgeable and experienced in this Banger world. He also manufactures some of the best equipment available.

25. When I saw those pics I got a tingling feeling all over and wet my pants, Wow!! great build!!

26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok...I took my neighbor for a ride last night and he shot some video. It's not Youtube, it's Webshots. They've really gone downhill! Too many friggin' ads, including annoying video ads. But, I'm going to post a link to the video anyway. Click the mute in the upper right corner of the add to turn the add audio off and watch the video. I think see runs pretty good!!

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3056388350014216047hVtSTN

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that car makes feel like i want to shed a tear, it is so beautiful.

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep.....that's one cool Hotrod!!

29. andyg

andyg

zack...sweet ride

chevygirl...once again welcome aboard with your banger roadster...how 'bout some new pics! b is my choice for street...a is my choice for race.

pie...cool to see it running down the road!

on a sad note....who got killed at b-ville? All I heard was 200 mph roadster...which is a pretty long list...anyone know the name or have other info?

30. andyg

andyg

chris,
    you have any vid on your banger running?...pleasure us with that su-1r cam!