Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2020 Banger Meet Thread - More of the Same***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

looks good . i have a large drip pan in the garage to help . just irritates me . one more try .

2. joemac05

joemac05

I'm sure they can be made to not leak.... for a while. I drive the heck out of mine and everything leaks a few drops except the read axle, it seems OK. It's the way it worked until the 70's or so. <Grin> They don't actually have to leak but they do insist on marking their spot. So now that is fixed with the skid pan.

I look forward to the rest of your saga with great anticipation.:D

3. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Joe,
    Different from a ‘diaper’ for sure !
    What is your process when that fills up ?

railcarmover and winduptoy like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im not sure its a saga , maybe more like an obsession . nothing else leaks ! t-5 , quick change .
    no wish bone to oil ........... we will see ......... steve

5. I was always told an A was like an old Harley, if it's not leaking it's out of oil. I have both an it's not something I concern myself with.

6. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

had both , its just a pet peeve . actually probably "lockdown" fever ........

8. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Scored this Snyder 5.5 head at the Paso Robles swap this morning for a good price 20200829_085930.jpg

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old 6-71 powered GM bus had a bumper sticker that read " if you can read this, I'm out of oil"

Old Dawg, Jet96 and barrnone50 like this.
  10. joemac05

joemac05

There is a place marked on the bottom where a drain plug was supposed to be installed. All I could imagine was trouble with that so left it off to see if I really wanted it, turns out it is not needed. The engine, trans, etc. do not really leak as much as leave those annoying pecker tracks whenever you park the damned thing. A little wipe with a rag at each oil change is more than enough so far. I did get some water in the pan when driving in heavy rain but by the time I went to have a look it was all evaporated and gone anyway. It was just and experiment but it worked out perfectly. o_O

Jet96 likes this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]

Got a 'truckload of tranny'..old driller in Petaluma found he could use double detent 78 case toploaders on his rig back in the 50's..his son convinced him to buy a bunch from the transmission dude in town in the 60's..and they sat in the barn ever since till today..

fine29, winduptoy and waxhead like this.
  12. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Reporting on exhaust mod. Four round trips work/home is just over 100 miles. Before: 6 gallons consistently,
    After: 5.2 gallons consistently.
    Changed nothing else. Those old repro muffler setups might be way more restrictive than a guy thinks. I'm going to look at the plugs tonight and see if they're showing any difference. Anyway, fun experiment...

winduptoy and railcarmover like this.
  13. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

So, I picked up the oil pump for my B-engine.
    According to the guy I bought the engine and car from the B's didn't have the spring between the oil pan and pump to hold it in place, just a locking screw from the side of the block.

Is this information correct?
    I don't wanna end up with a pump that falls down in to the pan :rolleyes:

14. Mikko,
    I have never seen a "B" motor with retaining screw holding pump in.
    That said, I could be wrong, there are so many different option available today.
    But, in the 1932 parts list, it shows the pump retaining spring.....
    Show us your pump, it may not be stock.

John
    Model B part list.png

GuyW, winduptoy and Mikko_ like this.
  15. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

No !
    Not correct, IMO and experience.
    In fact for decades, a hole has been made and tapped for a fastener which holds the pump up to the blk. I put red loctite on bolt because of vibrations of these A/B engines and other reasons.
    Additionally, if possible, i use the original spring ...sometimes modified to fit...insurance/ peace of mind control vibrations. But others may have a better way.

Jet96, winduptoy and Mikko_ like this.
  16. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Nice haul!

fine29 likes this.
  17. PhredH

PhredH

"Sweating Power"

Post #216
    Dig it!

18. railcarmover

railcarmover

The fella said they were model a transmissions,when I saw the cluster gears and main shafts in the ad I knew they were later..figured then it was worth the trip,when I got there and he had 5 loose '78' castings and a bunch of two detent towers It was all I could do not to dance a jig :)

G Baese and Jet96 like this.
  19. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

That's what I thought, I'll put a spring in there so I don't have to worry.

20. railcarmover

railcarmover

that spring saves the cam drive gear.

Mikko_ likes this.
  21. Railcar,
    can you expand on this?

22. To my knowledge, Ford put the hole and set screw in, I was told you use it to hold the pump in, till you get the pan on them back the set screw off so it rides on the spring.

23. railcarmover

railcarmover

If the pump or the distributor gets momentarily jammed the springs on the distributor drive or the oil pump allows it to drive away from the center cam gear..

Why did ford spring load the oil pump,distributor drive and camshaft thrust if not to allow movement to counteract load and shock?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  24. That is an interesting view of the springs used in the assemblies.
    You could be right, or it could have just been a simple way to assemble the said parts and not require tight tolerances in the manufacturing process.
    John

25. Jiminy

Jiminy

26. railcarmover

railcarmover

You could very well be right. Power sent from the center of the camshaft already under valve spring load and imperfect applied load from the crankshaft sends power 90 degrees to the varying load of the oil pump and the light constant load of the distributor.Gears tend to drive away from load,the oil pump alone must float up and down from differences in viscosity..my engine has a steel lube line from the pump to center main and my cam thrust is held by a thrust button..been thinking about the cause and effect of eliminating the travel of the oil pump and cam...Ive found ford engineering to be right way more than wrong :)