Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2016 Banger Meet - lots to get ready for ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I know MG ran a knee action shock. They may be Houdallie I am not sure. Chevys and some Mopar ran delco love joy knee action shocks. here is a shot of my coupe. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ROCKER77 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Old Dawg, Sorry we missed you, car looked great. Sure was nice to see the old Steve Hackle Riley 4Port for the first time. Steve sold me my first Riley 4Port back around 1972 or so, he's on the HAMB, have to show him the photo. Bob DSCF4246.JPG DSCF4243.JPG DSCF4245.JPG View attachment 3307847

cactus1 likes this.

4. I too am sorry I missed YOU and your daughter. We probably were down at the Driver's Lounge having coffee. By my car being up on jack's it looks as if I'd already been out on the track for practice. I do that so that the tires don't take "A Set" when they're hot. Dale, the owner of the #16 had trouble all weekend getting the engine to run properly.

5. 5280A2

5280A2

Just wanted to post a reminder to all the Midwest banger enthusiasts that the North Central Chapter of F.A.S.T. will be having their 13th Annual Flat Hill Climb in Northwood, Iowa on Saturday, September 10. We would like to encourage new participants to check out this meet so we can continue the tradition established by Wayne Atkinson when he first hosted this event. Check out the flyer below.

Attached Files:

6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Exciting news! The coupe runs. I need to play with the timing some and put some smaller jets in it. The muffler will go on quickly too. I am going to make the hill climb! Lots of little things to do now.

Andrew Mccann and waxhead like this.
  7. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Super cool tourer you have there! Would love some more info on that one for sure

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Is there any kind of simple formula to determine what size carb/carbs your engine really needs?

9. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

There are "simple" calculators to use but they require VE and RPM inputs. Very simple would be small choke for low end work and larger chokes for higher RPM.

10. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

There are "simple" calculators to use but they require VE and RPM inputs. Very simple would be small choke for low end work and larger chokes for higher RPM.
    I think we are all guilty of at some point, over carbing.

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

there used to be a c.i.d. vs carb size . I just tried a lot out . settled on a weber 2 brl

12. Basically looking at a B motor with .030 over pistons and 1.25 intakes with a winfield ground cam and a Simmons power head. Options are the matching Simmons intake and carb, a single burns intake and an 81, or a dual burns and two 81s.

I like the idea of running the all Simmons set up but would like to feed it the right amount to get the most from the engine.

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

dual 81's on a little progression

14. 97

Holley has one on their website https://www.holley.com/products/fue...holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/

However you must treat any calculator with reservations ....they are all angled toward OHV V8s and 4bbl carbs.
    4 bbls and 2bbls/1bbls are measured at different amounts of depression, therefore flow rates do not compare directly.
    . I am not aware of any real figures for Ve on a flathead with siamesed ports , but I know the number will be way different to a late model OHV 8 with individual and efficient ports . On top of all that, long stroke motors and modern short stroke motors behave quite differently etc etc.. In short I think it will be a matter of experience, and some "suck it and see" engineering.
    The progressive Weber will probably be the closest for ultimate efficiency and driveability, but if you want period correct it will probably look a bit modern.

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You can get an adapter from Redline to use a period correct air cleaner! Over the past 25 years I've tried Stomberg 81's, original 97's, English 97's and even a Mooneyes EFI on my banger engines. As far as I,m concerned the Weber 32/36 progressive is the best way to go.
    image.jpeg

16. I want to try what I have on hand first. Got the dual burns and rebuilt stromberg 81's already. Sounds like the Simmons won't be enough carb? Of course other draw back with Simmons is it's an updraft so headers are a hassle.

17. This is one from the late Bob Kehoe, 1 square inch of throttle bore for every 50 " displacement this was for race engines.

This is one from an early issue of Hot Rod, divide throttle bore in square inches into displacement , problem with memory here but think 55 good street engine, 50 for race engine, 45 circle track or drags,40 balls out. I have found both to be pretty close.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  18. ebtm3

ebtm3

Another way that I have heard of is to run the engine at close to peak torque RPM (for street) or peak HP (for race)
    Full load, wide open throttle. If you have more than 3'' of Hg vacuum in intake manifold , you can stand--NOT necessarily need---more carburetor.

This has worked for me in the past.

Herb K

19. Jiminy

Jiminy