Register now to get rid of these ads!

#@%*August 2013 Banger Meet #$^&

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Aug 1, 2013.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Well if your keeping the torque tube as you should in my opinion check out crazzydaddyo's post on the adapter he makes...I used the s 10 5 speed from a 4x4....kinda limits your choice for gear ratio

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

To ask a question im sure has already been answered, Im new to the early fords. I have a 29 roadster thats all stock banger(including the brakes) and I love it. However I would love it more if I could go faster than 40mph down hill with a tail wind and not feel like the head is ready to pop off my block. Im looking for t5 conversions. Mostly Im looking for pricing. Ive found lots of post on doing them, but hardly anything about how much it will cost. Also I had a question about t5 vs 37 to 39 trans adpaters. Is a 39 trans worth the swap or should I just forget about it and do the 5 spd? I just want to be able to drive my car. I have a 21 stud flattie that I could drop in there, but I like the banger motor and would like to keep it. Links would be helpful. thanks

3. Here are some pics. The first is an AR tranny with cutdown clutch pedal, then one of the multi-disc clutch pack, and finally two of cutdown flywheels, one with timing marks (ala Offy) and the other plain with less material removed.

Sorry for the poor pics: crappy camera and poor light:eek:

Attached Files:

4. Well, I just called the guy selling the whole kit to swap a t5 into a banger powered A and keep the original rear end. $1850 for the conversion and you still need a transmission. The adapter from clings for the 39 trans was $514 to my door. and I payed 200 bucks for a complete 39 trans.

5. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

Hello Tin Indian: I would do a proper compression test, dry & wet and then compare the results. This will give you a good indication what condition the rings and valves are in. Gary in MN.

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I bought a used T-5trans for $250 and made all of the pieces to convert it to a closed drive line. So it only cost me $250. Now I have an all synchro 5 speed with overdrive that I drive 75 to 80 mph all the time.

-

out plowing likes this.
  7. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

Thats a good idea. Ill do that before I move forward. As for the second part of my question. Will a 39 trans give me the road speed Im looking for? At least 55 without being all reved out. I have no problem putting a syncro 3 speed in it, but I need a more driveable car.

8. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

So what your saying is youd take 250.00 for your converted trans? Id give you 350. let you make a little.

9. The three speed will not give you a higher speed. The A and the 39 trans are both direct in 3 rd. If you go for the 5 spd you would prolly have a 26 % overdrive. Ford F 150 from 84 or so Ford would do the same with 4 spd. You should check out the kit based on CDO's adapter. If you do go the overdrive route you will need more beans to pull the taller gearing. I used to drive my 29 55 all the time without it being "all revved out" That would be 2250 or a little more with 3.78's

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No, what I'm saying is that the more you do yourself, the better youwill feel about your build.

--

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe it is time to take the BB Winfield off the shelf and put it on Dad's Model A Roadster. Has someone made up gasket sets or am I on my own. Is there an old thread on overhauling Winfields? Thanks. Bob

12. Bob, there are overhaul kits on Ebay, but they primarily consist of gaskets (not much to overhaul on a Winfield). I'd say save your $20 on a gasket kit and make your own...the kit gaskets are thick neoprene type material - I believe paper is better as thick flange and bowl-throat gaskets lend themselves to the pot metal bending - making sealing impossible.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just found an envelope with a bunch of old original Winfield gaskets, solved my own problem. Guess a careful disassemble, cleaning, and assemble should do it. Bob

14. I've been looking for the rebuild kits on ebay, but havent seen them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. The kits show up from time to time on Ebay. I have one for mine at home- will get the info for you asap.

16. Finally made some progress on my coupe. CDO thanks for the info on the wheels and there fitment. I have the 17's on and powder coated gloss black. Just have to decide which caps, I'm leaning toward 32 B caps. I also picked up 2 B carbs at a swap meet Sunday. They both appear to be rebuilt by next week end I should be running one. I've also rebuilt a stock dizzy although not installed yet.
    [​IMG]
    The profile before the powdercoat:
    [​IMG]
    And the carbs:
    [​IMG]

17. Very nice...I ended up with 17's for my RPU project, what size tires are those?

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Tiny your coupe is absolutely bitchin!

19. Thanks guys 550 fronts and 750 rears. They are off a car I'm building but the A is a runner so I figured what the heck. They really take the "stock Model A" look out of my stock Model A. I also took the spare off the back which really helps clean up the rear of the car.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Steve, Good to know you are getting back into A's also! I still have the old issue of Hemmings from around 1973-74 that you advertized the Riley 4Port that I bought for $425.00. Those were great days, did you ever keep track of how many Overheads you cleaned out of the Mid West? Best wishes, Bob

21. Just want to get on the mailing list. Thanks for the clickable link Jimmy

22. Hmm, need to go swapmeeting... Thanx for the pics! :)

Wauw, looks good! :D

23. donrodin

donrodin

Hey guys, just curious on how much to hog out on the intake ports of the model a, thinking about opening them up a bit, just couldn't seem to find any tech on the process. The engine has bigger intake valves and a touring cam.

24. Dannerr

I like the looks of your coupe.

25. mndodge

mndodge

Tiny....
    That coupe of yours looks good with the 17's and I like the stance.....thumbs up!!!

donrodin.....
    That coupe pictured in your avatar....has a good look, banger all the way!!

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The wheel & tires look great!!!!

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Not a process that is easily explained in a tech post. You'll have to use your best judgement. Here is what I did to my current engine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for the killer pics DaddyO
    I put a small hole in the water jacket on mine between the to intake ports. The top is very thin..

29. donrodin

donrodin

Thanks man, it's not quite a current picture of her anymore... she got sidelined for a bit.... got married, bought a house, going back to school to finish up a degree... but a good friend of mine has been stoking the fire pretty heavily the past few months so I'm gonna get this coupe done over the next few months!!

I agree about the 17's, very very nice!! what brand are the back tires, didn't know you could get them that tall in the 17"

30. donrodin

donrodin

Wow! couldn't have asked for better reference pics, thanks! I realize that there isn't really any way, realistically, to give a "how to". What's the OD of the intake and exhaust ports on the side of the block if you don't mind me asking?