Register now to get rid of these ads!

#@%*August 2013 Banger Meet #$^&

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Colin
    I am running a stock engine, cam, with some pressure to the front and centre main. The head is a Snyder 6.1, ford prefect dizzy home made extractors and the twin 1 1/2 SUs, I put in a set of stock MGB needles and jet but had to wind the jets right out to get it to run Ok. The original needles work much better, someone had filled a flat on each at the top that richens it up at lower RPM, power I think is 50% better with the head carbs dizzy and extractors over the stock set up but it knocks when I open the throttle to far. I have been thinking of getting a colour tune plug to see what it is burning like.
    Where did you get you cam ground and have your block inserted?
    Brendan

2. Not that it's any help, but I belive mine is a welded and machined original cast iron head. I mounted it, before I came to think of measuring the volume, but it has been running good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

And this is a HAL DO for Ford A. Here on a B block with insert mains

Attached Files:

out plowing likes this.
  5. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

More head talk please ! I have no experience myself, and it all seems like a jungle to me.
    Curious about how the stock "filled" head is working, as it would be cheap and managable to do at home, except machining the sparkplug.

What kind of cams specs are working good in the banger ?
    With the low revs I´m suspecting short duration, with a tight lobe seperation like 106 to get some overlap would be nice, with lift as much as it is possible without hitting the head or loosing longevity, am I on the right track thinking this ?

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

Not to derail the conversation, but can someone post pics of a stock A crank, and the different B and or C cranks?

I have a B motor and I am trying to identify the crank but honestly I really don't know the differences.
    The motor isn't turning easily, I looked in where the fuel pump goes but I really don't know how to identify it.

7. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Brendan for local cam grinder I use Clive in FTG he has my list of cam specs and notes
    In the USA Jim B
    for insert main I was using old bob in dandy but he gave work just lately and the young guys there stuffed the last block on me a really good B block which as know you are hard for us find
    now waiting to get into a mates machine shop and redo it my self
    Colin

8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Joe a B motor must have a B or C crank they have bigger journals than an A crank
    check the engine pulley long pulley=B engine short pulley=C engine if original
    or drop the sump look for count weights
    Colin

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

I was under the impression, the early b motors had no counterbalanced cranks.

Does having a 3bolt water pump mean anything?
    I am a few days away from being able to pull the pan.

10. Carter

Carter

There were three different B cranks. First was non counterbalanced, second had sweated on counter weights, third was one piece. The best way I've found to look at the crank is through the oil fill. Pull the tube out of the block and look through there.
    All B engines had the three bolt water pump/head. On the pulleys, the 33-34 four cylinders had a shorter crank pulley, a shorter water pump, and a different front timing cover that moved the generator back.
    I'll get a few pics of the cranks for you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

Ill compare the pullies to an A engine

12. Carter

Carter

Couple things to consider. 80 plus years have passed since the B engine hit the market, so any external parts could have been changed in that time. The 32 B engine has same pulley as the A as far as I know. Also, there are plenty of post production replacement and industrial engines out there.

Sent from my H866C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I beg to differ, The first, normally called the B, had no counterweights, the second normally called the C was forged with counterweights. The third, normally called the BB, were B cranks with swaged (pressed and pinned ) on counterweights. The BB cranks were installed in Ford factory rebuilt engines. I don't know if the BB cranks were dealer items.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. Carter

Carter

That may well be so Bill. Your knowledge of this stuff is far greater than mine. I'm just going by what I've bought and seen. I've got two post 34 dated diamond blocks with the one piece C cranks, a couple B engines with one piece C cranks, and 2 B engines with swaged/pinned cranks.
    Again, you've been doing this a lot longer than I've been alive, so I'm not doubting your info, but it does seem unlikely that Ford would have made the one piece forged counterbalance crank, then gone back to the non counterbalance crank and added weights.

Sent from my H866C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Carter

Like many things "Unlikely in hindsight"

Henry made mistakes

What I see is a lot of busted Ford A's made into WWII stuff.......

16. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Maybe somebody just bought the block and put their existing crank in it!

17. A Rodder

A Rodder

I will pull the pan this weekend and post a picture.

Thanks for some insight on this, Joe

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I think your forgetting that these were not hot rods but cheap transport most of their life

Almost no one gave a shit about them!!

You think the average guy knew any of these differences????

19. Ford did not "go back" to the added on weights, if you will take the time to reread what I posted you will read the words "Ford rebuilt." If you read enough of Ford's history you will read of the Ford motor company factory rebuilt engines. The BB's were B engines rebuilt by Ford at plants around the US and sold on an exchange basis by Ford Dealers. Just as they sold rebuilt A's. Some speculate they were intended for Ford trucks because of the BB designation, I don't know and I don't give a

20. Carter

Carter

For A Rodder.

Here are some pictures of what I have out of engines.

First pictures are one piece counterbalanced crank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next 2 are counterbalanced with swaged/pinned counterweights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

Does this look an a decent crank (and block) to start with for a performance build ?

Wondering if the crank is the right counterweighted type. I find it a little hard to be 100% sure from the pics. Not knowing exactly what to look for.

It´s for sale 150 miles from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

It's Not a counterweight crank but that is not the end of the world if the price is right.

23. where do you guys hook a chain to when pulling the engine?

24. They sell eye bolts that screw into the spark plug holes for engine pulling. Sold at Bert's Snyders etc

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

How bout if the head is off?

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I hook one chain from the intake manifold bolt to the top starter bolt and 1 chain from the front intake manifold bolt to the boss where the generator mounts on the timing cover.I use a load leveler to connect the two Chains.

'

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That looks like an early A engine. The crank is an early A "beaver tail " crank.

'

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

daddyO
    how can you tell its early block?

29. I just just stand on the drivers side and pick it up then!!!!

30. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

Thanks!! I told the seller and he admitted he wasn't sure himself. It was advertised as a B engine.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013