Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Attn willys experts, here's an odd one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-8_7-54-28.png
    Price Transfer Automobilia Museum Willys Woody Wagon
    upload_2017-9-8_8-3-57.png
    At the beginning of a long line of Willys vehicles in the Willys wing of the museum.
    upload_2017-9-8_8-8-29.png

Jason,
    Would (wood...ha!) this wagon be a Station Wagon, Woody, or a Suburban. The old photos in the ad look like it is a larger version of this regular size wagon. I was told that this one in the Price Transfer Automobilia Museum floor is very rare. There were no display signs with some history on the woody.

Thanks,
    Junji

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

@jnaki
    It would be a Woodie. There are those that know more about this than me but I believe that the 1937 or 1938 Cantrell bodied woodies were only made as a prototype. I have read that there were 5 1940 Woodies produced and 5 1941 Woodies Produced.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    kiwijeff, 26 T Ford RPU and jnaki like this.
  3. Cool display and of interest the Woody has 39 Overland style running boards. Where is this museum located? JW

loudbang likes this.
  4. All Willys Woodies were rare...whether your called them Woodies or Stationwagons. I have also seen numbers close to those stated as the number produced. As you can see, the one in the brochure is a '37-'38 style (could also be a model 48)...but I have never seen one from those years, only the 40's and 41's. I have seen two of them as street rods, and the other I have seen was a stockers . In a California shop & garage tour a few years back was a Woody project in one of the shops...and it was shown at the Grand National Roadster show that year as an under construction project. The one pictured here is a '40, so it makes sense that the running boards might be '39 Overland, as we all know Willys didn't waste too many left over parts from one year to the next. g-willys
    P.S. In the 'old' Mid America Willys Club was a garage find '40 out in California...what a find!

5. The running board says its a 37 as the 37 had a larger painted section at the front. I cant tell if it has seven slot wheels compared to the four slots on later Willys. JW

loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 26,
    The Willys Woody was in the Price Transfer Automobilia Museum complex in North West Long Beach. (actually, it is in Dominguez, but the locals call it Long Beach) The museum and car collection is currently closed to the public, but an expansion is under way. It is one of the better car collection in so cal. when it is open, it is a must see...

Jnaki

upload_2017-9-8_17-16-29.png upload_2017-9-8_17-16-39.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    mgtstumpy, kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. I will be back in LA in 2019 for LARS so that Museum will be on my list. The Woody I was talking about was the black and white pic in the brochure in post #91. JW

loudbang likes this.
  8. How many here know there is a difference in 37 and 38 Willys running boards? 37 on the left. JW
    [​IMG]

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

I didn't know that. It's nice to keep learning new things about these cars.

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks to my friend Fabian for the pictures

IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5939.JPG IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5941.JPG IMG_5942.JPG IMG_5986.JPG IMG_5987.JPG IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5989.JPG IMG_5990.JPG IMG_5991.JPG IMG_5992.JPG

BradinNC, mgtstumpy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I guess someone needs to go back in time and correct the Willys company, because in this commercial, they repeatedly refer to it as "willis."

and

http://newsok.com/article/3392244

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  12. For over 40 years I have owned a Willys, its been hard enough explaining what a Willys is without now explaining about this unheard of car called a Willis.:rolleyes: JW

modelkitbasher likes this.
  13. This car showed up at the Western Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield. Don't know who owns it. Exceedingly rare I reckon.
    42 woodie 1.jpg 42 woodie 2.jpg

14. elgringo71

elgringo71

15. Regarding the Willys model 99, over the years, I have had several pairs of N.O.S. headlight lenses, and 1 pair of headlight rims for the lenses, but, I have never seen any thing else for them.

26 T Ford RPU and elgringo71 like this.
  16. 26 T Ford RPU and elgringo71 like this.
  17. I have a pair of headlight lenses and I also have a NOS speedo for the model 99. I've never seen rings for the lenses or other parts except engine parts because they (WILLYS-OVERLAND) sold the engine tooling to International and it became the Green Diamond IH engine.

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Can Soneone tell me, Who is Making the 1939 Willy’s Front Dropped Forged Tie Rod ends? Back in the old Days, Rodder’s, I’m told would use these on ford’s Dropoed Axles, to clear the Stock Ford Wishbone. I’m told that they’re Forge Steel, but are kind is Small. Your suppose to use s Ford 28-34 Cross Tie Rod. The Ford Tie Rod end isThreaded, & Screws into the Willy’s Dropped Forged Steel Tie Rod Ends. I was told the Clamps are cast into the Willy’s Tie Rod Ends. I’d heard this was done, so as not to bend the Ford Spindle Arms. Is this correct information? Are these Willy’s Tie Rods Safe & up to run in a V/8 Ford Flathead Engine? Thanks & Regards Respectfully BigDTexas Kid
    (903) 952-1933.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  20. FYI Chrysler didn’t make any WWII Jeep’s. American Bantam, Willy’s, & Ford Motor Co. Made the WWII Jeeps. The reason American Bantam won was it had the Best Ride & 4-Wheel Drive Chassis, Willy’s had the Hottest 4-Clyinder Engine, & Ford had the best Manufacturing Capability to build the Jeeps. My Dad work for FoMoCo at the Dallas Texas Assembly Plant. They made the most Jeeps in WWII, about 400,000. Ford did have a impact on the front Grill Vertical Grill Bars Design. This was because of Front air flow & better damage designed. North American Aviation @ the Dallas Naval Base Manufacturing Plant made the Most P-51 Mustang’s in WWII. They also made the Texan Trainer Aircraft in WWII. & in 1950-1955 they made the Corsair F4U Fighter. Consolidated Aircraft Co. Made B-24 Bombers @ Fort Worth’s Carswell Base. FoMoCo shipped the Pair of 100 Ft. Wings, from the Wixom,Mi. B-24 Manufacturing Plant to Carswell AIr Force Base by a Ford COE Sleeper Tractor. & Trailer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    modelkitbasher and chryslerfan55 like this.

21. That is correct...have owned at least one Willys since 1960...an old mechanic back then, told me that same thing...Bantam had the best design...Willys had the most dependable motor...the Go-Devil, (that was after adding a much better counterbalanced crank in the late 30's early 40's)...and yes they did get some production help, but only from Ford.
    Ford's design was a good one, but their tiny 4 cyl motor was thought to be not enough power fo the war usage the Jeep was goin to get. It meant the end for Bantam. I remember the P 51's as my home town back then (Duluth )was the last active air base with P51's in the early 50's. I hope the Corsair you were refering to was the Jet model, because the Cosairs used in WW2 were prop driven and made in the late 30's, and through the forties. And correct also, the vehicle was listed as GPV (general purpose vehicle...and shorten to Jeep). g-willys

22. Yes! It was the prop Propeller. They they were the Best Fighter
    Aircraft Carrier up until they were being replaced in the early Korea War. You can google, F4U Corsair & Get all the good information. Dallas/Fort Worth has a lot of Military Company’s Beginning in WII. Collins Radio Co. (Battle Field Infantry Radio),
    Bell Helicopters (Huey), Consolidated (B-24,B-36)/General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon/ Lockheed Martin F-35,
    Texas Instruments Pave wave, Harpoon, Redeye, Cruise Missile, Fighter/Bomber Radar Systems for Submarines, Destroyers, Cruiser

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  23. I thought you meant the F4U...however you had put...(& in 1950-1955 they made the Corsair F4U Fighter.) They were made way before that...the Cosair Jet was produced in the 50's g-willys

24. Yes, the F4U came out in Late 1942-Early 1943. There was a Couple of Training Naval Base in the Great Lakes. There was a Navy Aircraft Carrier that they tested flying F4U Corsair & Operation Maintenance Training.
    Recently they Found & Restored,
    One of the earliest Models made
    Of the F4U Corsair. I think you can find it in U-tube. Great Store.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Why do people spell Willys like this ''Willy's''. Its not a ''Willy'' in single form. JW

26. For over 40 years I have owned a Willys, its been hard enough explaining what a Willys is without now explaining about this unheard of car called a Willis.:rolleyes: JW

WOW...I gave up worring about it after I heard that the boss himself JOHN NORTH...called his last name Willis, even though he spelled it Willys...It will always be Willys to me.... g-willys

modelkitbasher and 26 T Ford RPU like this.