Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Attn willys experts, here's an odd one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 12, 2017.

1. rooman

rooman

Please read post #49 (and some of the others surrounding it). I have always pronounced it as "Willies" (as did my dad who owned one pre WW II) but there is strong evidence that John North used "Willis" and as he was the one who ran the show I will defer to him.

Roo

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. SR100

SR100

I've always heard the car pronounced Willies. The maker and the car can have different pronunciations. William Crapo Durant founded GM, Chevrolet & Durant. The latter was pronounced 'DURRant', but he pronounced his name 'DOOrant'. As was mentioned before, if your check was good, they'd let you call it whatever you wanted.

loudbang likes this.
  3. You pronounce it any way you want , it aint going to change history, I refer to people that worked for and knew John Willys as mentioned in a previous post. I will still mispronounce my two cars marque as its easier than having people as ask what a Willis is as its bad enough in NZ explaining what a Willys is... most say.. what at Wolesley? (English car) Then come a stern reply!!
    I think that should be the end of that as its been covered from all angles.

As for the numbers of Willys that came to New Zealand, I can ad no info to that at all
    sorry. I have tried over the years to find out but fallen short. JW

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    hotrodtodd1960 and loudbang like this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad drove a '30 Willys Knight roadster in the mid 30's. He was working on the Capitol building in Austin as he watched his car burn to the ground from a carelessly tossed cigarette. He pronounced the name Willis. I will pronounce the name Willies if I come through Missouri, or is it Missoura ? LOL

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  5. This whole conversation is giving me the Willis! Looked at my book and it doesn't differentiate between models, just gives year totals. Little know, less cared about fact; most '33 Willys gassers were 35-36 models with the '33 'glass tilt hood. That is due to the #s of units sold, '33-'34 sold about 26,000, '35-'36 sold 41,470. On that basis most are '36s which sold 30,826 or 46% of all sales. You can tell most of the time which was the donor year by 1) the door handles - '33-34 handles were swoopy and elegant, '35-36 were stubby hot-dog shaped; and 2) if they still have the gas filler pipe, '33 & '34s have the filler coming out of the spare tire panel whereas '35-36s have it coming out of the curve part of the body between the fender and the spare tire panel.

'33-'34 handle
    '33-'34 door handle.jpg

'35-'36 handle
    '35 - '36 door handle.jpg
    Of the more famous gassers these are '33-'34 donor cars
    Boss Hydro.jpeg Brasher and Cummings yellow 2.jpg Densham Willys.jpg Merkel66Nats3Medium.jpg ohio george nice.JPG

These are '35-'36 donors

Coonrod & Harry.jpg hamberis & Mitchell 2.jpg Keith Ferrell 33 Willys B-Alt 3 6-11-67.jpg KS Connecticuit 1.jpg swc dark horse 2.jpg
    Travler1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

7. Cool, I was not aware of the filler position of the 33-34's.
    That 33 Woody is neat but could you actually use the front doors.... they are tiny!! JW

8. LOVE the woodie!!!!!!!!

elgringo71 and modelkitbasher like this.
  9. rooman

rooman

I am glad that you specifically know what is correct re the pronunciation despite the quotes re the man himself's version.

Roo

10. Took his pic back in 76. The thing that got me was no head light pods and no real evidence they were ever there. Must have been some clever metal work, it had mounts for fender mounted lights 33-34 Ford style (kind of). I went back and took a lot of bits a couple years later.JW
    [​IMG]

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. The Genuine accessory trunk on my 35, cool the way it fold out. JW
    [​IMG]

12. Looked at my book and it doesn't differentiate between models, just gives year totals.
    Willys 36 that is pretty much all that I had ever been able to find as well. (Print them here at some point, so I can compare them to the production numbers I was able to find over the years). I still would like to know how many coupes were made, as compared to pickups, and sedans. Incidently Willys 36, you'd be proud to know that your article on the top insertion you did on your 36 worked perfectly on my 36 sedan...havent had it out yet in heavy rain, but it looks great...thanks to you and your article back in the Mid America Willys club magazine. g-willys

Attached Files:

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Glad it worked, that is a slick system. Only problem I have found over the years is the welt shrinks quite a bit over time. About once a year I have 3/8" gaps @ each end so I pull it off, stretch it and work it 'til it softens up a bit and reinstall it. Good for another hundred miles. The fabric is very tough, still looks like new. The production numbers I found are in a post above.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 1936 is the only year the gas filler came out the quarter panel. 1933-35 exited through the spare tire panel. 1936 also has a wider cowl vent and screwed in windshield frame, and no glove box. Gauge holes on both sides of the dash, although one hole was usually filled with a medallion or on deluxe models an ashtray

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  15. In my never to be humble opinion, the styling went progressively backward on the Model 77. The '33 was striking, especially for that time when the Big 3 were still making steel covered-wagon clones. The '35/'36 are not an improvement step back from the original styling.

loudbang likes this.
  16. JW your luggage carrier was made by Kari-Keen
    1504115306505.jpg
    1504115420197.jpg
    1504115489509.jpg

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not talking about spelling, we were discussing pronunciation of the name itself versus that of the car. That is why I posted the original question regarding how it was originally pronounced. I know everyone refers to the car as a Willies or Willy's. Sometimes it is good to read all the posts on the subject. And to all, I apologize for the inadvertent hi-hyjacking of the thread.

18. Still mind-blowing that you could have had one of these back then for much less than the cost of a set of tires or a few month's worth of gasoline nowadays!

19. My car has an accumulation of dings, scratches, cracks, interior is dirty, springs cut the skirt on driver's seat, electrical problems cropping up, etc. Concentrating on this thread made me realize my car is a couple years shy of 20yrs old (finished in 1995) in it's current build! Time for a refurbish I would imagine.

p12007 WR w- Halibrands.jpg

20. That's really cool to have a brochure on the trunk and thank for posting.
    If it only fits the 35, is it because of the fuel filler position. i know wont fit a 36 as the rear is a different shape. JW

loudbang likes this.
  21. I believe the Kari-Keen would also fit 1933-34 but i think they started making them for Willys in 1935. I've never had the chance to try one on my sedan. They also made a 1936 specific Kari-Keen. I know someone who has one of each but he won't part with either one. Kari-Keen made trunks for other cars also, I believe I saw one for a Ford once.

22. Willys 36...I like the '34 design with the horizontal louvers probably the best, but there is nothing wrong with a good looking '36...your coupe is one and the other yellow '36 with the Turbo chargers on it. I like the look of my last one (emphasis on last...getting too old for another project) a '36 sedan with the port holes on the side. g-willys

Attached Files:

23. '34 is attractive, I guess I see so many '33s that familiarity gives them the edge. I like my '36 but I still think the '33/'34 is more attractive. I cut 1" off the rim of the wheel well to unshroud it and that improved the look a lot. Definitely a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder!

loudbang likes this.
  24. I also like the 34 over the 33 (just)due to the wires and the louvers. JW

loudbang and 32fenderless like this.
  25. elgringo71

elgringo71

Yes I liked the 33 Woodie too. As pointed out the front doors were very small. I never knew that they made them in 33

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. Nice looking wagon with a 37 Willys sedan in the background. The cut down coupe is hard case for sure. JW

modelkitbasher and elgringo71 like this.
  28. elgringo71

elgringo71

29. elgringo71

elgringo71

30. elgringo71

elgringo71