Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Attn willys experts, here's an odd one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 12, 2017.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I received a phone call from a gentleman claiming to have found a 1937 willys coupe . This in it's self is cool , but he claims that it has a factory
    Built 1936
    Rear
    Window area. He has not sent me pics, but after talking g with him I am convinced that he knows what he is looking at. My question is this, being that it was a transition year is it possible that willys sent out a new body style coupe with a single rear window as a prototype, or
    Maybe a sedan window
    Section?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Does not sound likely to me, what other 37 tell tale items did he identify if any to verify that this is what it is. JW

Lättähattu, Preikster and loudbang like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

That sounds unlikely to me also. I have seen pictures of a few that it looks like someone has cut the center divider out of the window or replaced the rear window. I would think that it was done to improve visibility.

loudbang likes this.
  4. JimSibley

JimSibley

It sounds like the visibility thing is a viable answer. Either way, a willys coupe is a willys coupe. I'm hoping he can send pics.

Shoeboxed and loudbang like this.

5. belair

belair

Don't hog em all up, man. (Good luck).

loudbang likes this.
  6. JimSibley

JimSibley

I'm not trying to get it. From the sounds of it the car is actually very nice, what fun is that!

7. Could be a 36 made in 36 . JW

loudbang likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's an Ozzie 5W coupe T.J. RICHARDS body), looks to be a one piece rear window rather than a split one
    upload_2017-8-14_16-38-48.jpeg

Here's a 5W rear shot
    [​IMG]

Shame it's not one of these rare Ozzie bodies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is another oddball, 1936 Willys Model 77 3 Window coupe made in Australia by Holden

IMG_4973.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4975.JPG

10. JimSibley

JimSibley

Those are some cool cars. I'm thinking he could have another weird car. Seems cool to me.

elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

You willys lovers are like Lays potato eaters ONE is not enough. :)

enloe, stillrunners, Boryca and 6 others like this.
  12. I have two, I used to have four !!:cool: JW

elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  13. JimSibley

JimSibley

I m really an early ford guy that likes hemis and chevys motors but I too have like a half dozen willys.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I raced a Plymouth coupe with a Willys nose. Fooled a lot of people even a Willys owner until I showed him the difference. faded memories.jpg

RICH B, enloe, turboroadster and 4 others like this.
  15. Jim, any chance of a pic of the car in question, would be cool to resolve it. JW

loudbang likes this.
  16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I was thinking the mgtstumpy picture until I saw elgringo's 36 picture. Which ever it is a picture would be great. Getting it even better.

Pat

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  17. JimSibley

JimSibley

He has not sent a pic. He does claim to lurk on the hamb, maybe if he is reading this he could post a pic?

loudbang likes this.
  18. From the pictures and comments over the years, I think the TJ Richards bodies from Aussie land had a completely different roof design than the U S Willys. Those body companies made modifications to many Willys parts and styles
    e.g....suicide doors on some models that U.S. cars did not have...body line reveals that didn't quite match up to Willys hood and body lines, opera windows that never were on Willys cars until '41-'42. ...different running boards, etc.
    Holden had some differences too, but in most cases more subtle !
    g-willys

19. All the Aussie Willys are different (33-41), only the front fenders and hood are the same body wise. JW

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

I hate to hijack this thread, but since there's some Willys experts on here, I wanted to ask, are the delivery bodies not valuable? This steel bodied '35 delivery has been on craigslist for like a year with no takers and it's only $4K and the ad says it drives. I have nothing to do with the car or the ad, I've never even seen it in person, I just thought that seemed super cheap, considering what the coupes go for.

I REALLY don't need another project, and it'd be tight to get the money together anyway, but I've been tempted to go check this out. A nice body, running steel bodied '35 Willys for $4k, that just seems so cheap to me. Am I missing something, or am I nuts?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/1935-willys-delivery/6271474308.html

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. I've been tempted to go check this out. A nice body, running steel bodied '35 Willys for $4k, that just seems so cheap to me. Am I missing something, or am I nuts?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/1935-willys-delivery/6271474308.html[/QUOTE]

That's not a real Panel Delivery. It's a cut up 35 Willys four door sedan with the rear doors and windows covered. There were only 88 Panel Delivery WILLYS in 1935 with probably a couple dozen left in various states of condition. That ain't one of them. Weird fiberglass parts on it also

33HEMI, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. The 35 Willys Jeep made me laugh.
    Also noticed the rear wheels don't sit right in the fenders, worse on the right side. JW

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  23. Talking of Aussie bodied Willys, this 40 is in New Zealand and has had some mods done to try and make it like a US Coupe......not even close. Note the extra bit between the hood and door. JW
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  24. Guys...just a couple comments on this thread...I had never seen one like the blue coupe before. Interesting version...Willys hoods never fit so good by the cowl...roof line appears a bit different, and the door is a complete design of its own, including the reveal right below the door window (and where did those door handles come from...) other than that its cute! I also have been told that the Willys cars that went to New Zealand were like the American versions, and the Aussie cars were the ones modified by the body companies in Australia.
    I saw the ad of that red '35 a while back, and for 4K for a running Willys, you could have some fun. Don't let the wheels in the fenders scare you...that's an easy fix. Top does not appear to be chopped to me...it is filled (possible station wagon metal), and it has the early 33-34 glass front end. Word of caution...lots of blind spots in a sedan delivery. g-willys (p.s. they all think Willys are Jeeps)

Shoeboxed, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. I still have relatives ask me how my 'Jeep' is doing after owning it for 50 years!
    p12007 WR w- Halibrands.jpg

26. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

I can't count the times I have tried to explain my truck isn't a jeep !!

mike in tucson, loudbang and willys36 like this.
  27. Little know less cared about fact; the classic Jeep was designed 100% by American Bantam, not Willys. At the outbreak of the war the g'bmnt chose Bantam's design for the G(J) E neral P urpose vehicle (thus the acronym JEEP) but there is no way that small company could come close to filling the order for a gazillion units for immediate delivery. Willys was a victim of the Great Depression so was bankrupt and in receivership then but just a decade before was the largest auto manufacturer in the world so had the facility to fill orders. The g'bmnt just took Bantam's design and gave it to Willys and the rest is history. Even Willys couldn't keep up with demand at times so a few units were made by Chrysler and Ford as I understand.

hotrodtodd1960 and loudbang like this.
  28. All Willys sold new in New Zealand came from America, the Aussies were on their own.
    The life expectancy of a war Jeep was 2 weeks, I think the drivers was a very similar.JW

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  29. FordTruckNut sent me a PM clarifying some errors in my Jeep dissertation.

Here is his comment. "I just wanted to drop you a quick note on your jeep info.... In addition to traditional rods I am into ww2 jeeps... And some of your info is incorrect.
    Bantam lobbied the government to request a small 4x4 and designed and delivered the vehicle... The only other bidders was willys. ford was also asked to bid but could care less about the project at the time but submitted anyways.
    The name jeep is a slang term for untested military vehicles dating back to even ww1..... The bantam brc was first called a jeep in the papers even before ford created there prototype GP (which does not denote general purpose but actually g was code for government contract and p was Ford's code for 80 inch wheelbase).
    So after the pilot bantam did so well the army wanted a bunch but the fellow at bantam that lobbied to get the request for pilot must have ruffled the wrong feathers because the government big wigs wanted someone else to make them, trying to claim that bantam didn't have capacity.. Which it did and was a state of the art factory with.
    Ford's prototype was late but was satisfactory as well but the government dis not want to use ford since ford was so anti union thoughout the pre war years. So the initial contract for jeeps went to bantam, ford, and somehow strangely willys got the contract (even though that hadn't produced to piolt vehicle untill after they got the contract and bantams plans!!!!.
    The initial contract vehicles were loved... The bantam brc, ford gp, and willys ma. But somehow willys got the contract after being required to make changes to be more like the ford changing there designation to mb.... But willys couldn't keep up so the contract was split to ford... And ford required to use the willys engine...changing the ford designation to gpw.
    Sorry for rambling........ "

My comment back to him, "Good info Ford. Point is there was some typical politicking going on, g'bmnt picking winners and losers. I am pretty sure if you did some forensic accounting you would find some congressmen and senators that became quite solvent during that transaction. The more things change the more they stay the same!"

steinauge, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  30. Now here is a real ODD one...who has seen...and where is that elusive Willys Model 99 ???
    Lets get some opinions and comments on that one!!! And one last odd one...why are there Willys Overlands, and just Overlands on some of the '39 hoods? g-willys IMG_20161201_100805467 (1).jpg