Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTN: Nostalgia Drag racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35touring, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

I need some input from you guys on holding a Nostalgia Drag event. Would like to feature Gassers / altereds/ FE Dragsters. Say pre '72 or?
    What is the best format for a event such as this? Index or dial in?
    Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    Approached my local track about this and they are very interested.

2. Purely from a spectators viewpoint, I'd rather see heads-up racing. All this 'break-out' shit sucks. Use the brakes AFTER you cross the finish line!

3. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Gassers, altereds and dragsters all in their own class. Index race the others. No place for bracket racing at a nostalgia race. It's about the show.
    My 2 cents.

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

Other than Trans. brake ,No electronics,delay boxes or throttle stops!! Bad ju-ju !

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Agreed. Keep it as simple as possible. These events are supposed to be fun and not necessarily about who's the fastest.

6. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

"run what you brung"....wide damn open!!!!!! no bracket stuff..

7. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

Heads up with a pro tree.

8. Larry T

Larry T

If you're gonna lump all the dragsters in one class and run them heads up, you probably aren't gonna have a lot of HAMB class dragsters show up.

I'd probably loosely lump them into open wheel (competition) and fendered (call it modified) classes and 2 or 3 different indexs for each class. Then run the winners for "top eleminator"

Or you could set up your classes and run the "Chicago Style"-three rounds of qualifing so every one gets to make passes and the fastest 2 cars come back for the trophy.
    Larry T

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  9. Dchaz

Dchaz

Doesn't the thaw let you run both heads up and dial- in classes?

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Heads Up!!!!! Drag Racing As God Intended!

11. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

thanks for the resonse so far. Like to hear from Gassers on their thoughts, as well a s dragsters and altereds. Super Stock would also be part of the event.

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Well my 2 cents. I run a full metal body altered, and I personally have no time for electronics refering to throtle stops, launch controls, etc. Trans brakes are fine, however; I love 2 footing against a trans brake car and beating them, some times !

As stated above, 4 classes (FED's, Altereds, Gassers and Door Cars) with 2 sub-classes.... You hit the brakes, you put it on the trailer !

For the 3 maybe 4 races I attend each year, I am terrible at a Pro-Tree...

After '66, everything went to S---.........

13. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Check your PM's

14. Heads up, no purse or trophy. Make it a show, will keep most of the bracket non nostalgia cars away...it will start out small, but they will come. Check out Jalopy Showdown drags. Pre 64 with pre approved exceptions.

Throw all that away if your trying to make a buck, then pre 72 no electronics except trans brake, pro tree on index. Half second increments.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Take a road trip to the Meltdown Drags in Byron Ill. July 21-22 2012.
    probably the best run vintage drag meet out there. www.meltdowndrags.com

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

when we run the kids in the derby cars
    (drag racing with gravity)
    we always run on a double elimination format
    you have to loose twice to be out
    could make for a fun event
    this is about having fun right?

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I raced with the southern slingshots.com, and the tracks we ran at let us run as a group. We are only dragsters, and altereds. Our club trys to match the cars together,so that we put on a show. There are no brakes before the finish line and we run all out. Super Chevy in Fl a couple of weeks ago hosted the cars and a good time was had by all.

18. 150J/F

150J/F

Seeing you are from Kentucky I would suggest you don't schedule your race
    on Father's Day weekend. NHRA will be running the National reunion at that time.
    You should go to Bowling Green and see a big nostalgia race, talk to the racers and
    get some ideas to help you put on a successful event. It ain't easy but it is doable.
    MB

19. SLCK64

SLCK64

Heads up- Match racing, pre 66 only, period correct wheels/paint/looks.

meltdowndrags.com

20. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

HEADS UP PRO TREE CHEAP BEER That ought to work out just fine

21. SLCK64

SLCK64

Flag starts!!!

22. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Heads up.

I think brackets helped ruin it all.

23. 65COMET

65COMET

You guys think bracket racing is easy? Bring your crap out and run it,not your mouths!Bracket racing has kept tracks open,not everyone has the money to build an all out car or put the biggest horsepower in a car.You think the spectators don't like bracket racing,how much are they going to like one car winning every round because money was no object.There will always be sand baggers,no matter how hard you try to control them!I do agree on keeping the electronics out,make it a drivers race,not who is the best at dialing in their computer!I don't know what you consider a big race,but I run the March Meet and the California Hot Rod Reunion,and they are both HUGE in racer turnout and SPECTATORS!!! ROY.

24. SLCK64

SLCK64

I just say dont try an race a guy if you dont think you can beat him. You run a few rounds of prelims so everyone can see the ETs and let the racers set up a race, 2 out of 3 if they want.

Seriously, the Meltdown Drags has it down.

http://www.metldowndrags.com

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The Factory Appearing/Stock Tire muscle car drags have a GREAT format, that puts on a hell of a show for spectators, and makes racing great for the drivers.
    It's heads-up, with a big BUT:
    Everyone runs qualifying times. Then the Quick 8 cars are run through a standard Eliminations tree.
    While the Quick 8 are running their eliminations, everyone else who didn't qualify for the Quick 8, gets paired with the car that ran closest to them, and when the rounds are called for the Quick 8, the "also rans" get to go and make a pass against their closest competitor. It becomes a Best 2 out of 3 Shootout for everyone who didn't make the Quick 8.

This is great, because it makes the event last longer, it gives the people in the stands a better show, and it lets racers make lots of passes for the whole weekend. Nobody wants to spend all the time and money to get put on the trailer in the first round.

Quick-8 guys get prize money, the rest get thrown in a raffle for door prizes.

-Brad

26. ah, never said easy, I think the general consensus, it is boring....lets face it, all the grand stands are at the starting line, not the finish line. Why would you want to see cars not start at the same time? As far as a "drivers race" your tubbed out independent front end bracket car is gonna kick my in the air straight axle un-predictable nostalgia car's ass 4 out of 5 times.....:)

27. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Very well said Don. How many guys here would sit and watch bracket racing?? Thats how the fans feel too. Hike the front and TRY to stay in your lane.....big fun...

28. Larry T

Larry T

Bracket racing is a participant sport, not a spectator sport.
    Larry T

29. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

If the cars are entertaining in appearance and performance, I don't think it matters much if its heads up, dail in or index. The 2 out of 3 match race deal sounds good. Would love to do that and race a similar performing car heads up.

30. SLCK64

SLCK64

Also, whats more "nostalgic" or "vintage", Heads up or bracket? I think you have your answer on the format.