Register now to get rid of these ads!

attn: Mn., Iowa, Wisc.H.A.M.B.ers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfacedoctor, Nov 7, 2009.

1. I'm thinking of trying to get an indoor swap meet going in Rochester, Mn. around the second weekend in January. I know trying to promote anything in January in this part of the frozen north is risky business, but I think there are enough gear-heads around here that could make it work. Any ideas? Anything going on that weekend that it would conflict with? Who would be willing to be a vendor? The area I have in mind is also big enough for cars for sale. Input please.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I dont have any input regarding the swap meet but I just wanted to say I really missed not running into you this summer.:( I sure hope you'll make it to the HAMB Drags or HCPU next year. Good luck with the swap.

3. Thanks, Denise. Missed seeing you this summer too. I only went to 4 shows this year because my business is finally starting to recover after 2 of the worst years in my history. Gotta' make hay when the sun shines!

4. One more time for the Sunday crowd.

5. bigks3

bigks3

i live in northwest iowa and would come over, but i am also involved with dirt track racing as an official and there is a big racing swap meet every year on that weekend in sioux falls, s.d. any other weekend and i am all for it.

6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

I know I wouln't miss it!

7. speedysilver

speedysilver

sounds like fun i would be there even thought my cars not done

8. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Spring would be better (April)..........................Rich

9. bugz

bugz

Hey plowboy13 can I hitch a ride with you?

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i would possibly come !

11. rjgideon

rjgideon

There's a big one in Des Moines at the Fairgrounds on 1/31/10 - Wild Wade's. It's more race-oriented, though. The only other one down here was on 12/12/09.

12. titus

titus

Id surely go, they dont have the swap at the dealer anymore do they?

JEFF

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Sounds good, could use a swap to break up the winter.

14. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

15. 2-TONED

2-TONED

swapmeet ! ! ! -- ill be there.

16. Big Dad

Big Dad

There is always one that weekend in Sioux Falls at the Expo building on the fairground

And about 50% of the time , its a blizzard

Sure had fun at the Taco Villa across from it at night though

Miss those days :(

17. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I was just browsing the Linechaser earlier today looking for upcoming swap meets. I was pretty disappointed to see there weren't many in the near future.
    I would look forward to it if it came together.

Jay

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'd show up.

The few indoor ones I have been to are not well attended. It's much easier as a seller to pull up in your truck and sell out of it. Otherwise it's too much moving parts around.

Doug

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

John, there's a few vendors around the area that I can think of to contact (about 15 or so) if you want a list, let me know...I'll be sure to spread the word to those that don't get on here enough to know about it once the details are solid...

20. bryan6902

bryan6902

OK I really wanted to comment on this but just have not had the time. My personal opinion is you are probably already too late for the 2nd weekend in January and unless you have some rock-star swappers already lined up it's gonna be a bust. A few years back our club tried to get an indoor swap meet going and it just didn't go. Our location was ok, NW MSP Suburb, weather was good, it was March, but we had no swappers. People came to shop but there was nothing to buy, we ended up breaking even, barely and we scratched it after 2 attempts.
    Why didn't it work? No swappers. A lot of these guys pack their stuff away after the Roadster swap in October and forget about it until the Buick swap in May. Honestly, who wants to go out to your cold barn/shed/garage and pull your stuff out through the snow to a non-established event? Sure there used to be indoor swaps at Iten Chev, Friendly Chev, Anoka Armory even World of Wheels had an indoor swap, but those are long gone... And did anyone ever really have anything good at those swaps? I never found anything I couldn't live without. With high gas prices and the internet, ebay, it really isn't worth it to drag your stuff out in the middle of the winter with the strong possibility of not selling a thing. At least when the weather is nice you can enjoy some fresh air and being outside.. And back one of my original thoughts you only have roughly 8 weeks to get the word out, if you're still thinking 2nd weekend in January.... That's short notice for some folks... Don't want to piss on your Wheaties, this is just my opinion, if you can prove me wrong and pull it off I would be VERY IMPRESSED. Just a really tall order in a short time span... Maybe end of February or March would work better????

21. Tbucketg

Tbucketg

I would go and be a vendor!
    Garrett

22. t5stang91

t5stang91

i am pretty sure i can make it and possibly bring some parts of mine and my buddys

23. Onelow34

Onelow34

I don't have anything to sell but if you needed help setting things up or anything let me know, thats what fellow cc members are for.

24. skyspop

skyspop

I think its a little early too,but I only live a few miles away,so I will be there and hopefully giving,,,,ah i mean selling some of my sweet stuff off ...Gotta pay for the garage heat bills somehow.

25. Ruiner

Ruiner

Any chance the Cad powered Plymouth coupe you got will be up for grabs? :D

26. skyspop

skyspop

is this swap going to happen?