Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn indiana hambers: Sema, new legislation prop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZomBrian, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

<CENTER>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To view this email as a web page, please follow this link[/FONT]</CENTER>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=603 align=center bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=600 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=590 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

Indiana Regulators Propose to Redefine Antique Vehicles to Force More into Emissions Tests
    The Indiana Department of Environmental Management is proposing to redefine the term ‘antique vehicle” in order to force more of these hobby cars into the emissions inspection program. Under existing law, an antique vehicle is defined as “a motor vehicle or motor scooter that is at least 25-years old.” Under the regulation, the definition would be revised to require that the vehicle must be at least 25-years old, registered and plated as a historic motor vehicle, driven a maximum of 3,000 miles per calendar year, and include Federally required pollution control equipment for that make and model year. Under the plan, the vehicle would be periodically forced into a vehicle emission test site to verify that these requirements have been met.
    We Urge You to Submit Written Comments Opposing This Regulatory Proposal by March 13, 2009
    • Existing law in Indiana exempts any vehicle 25-years old and older from emissions testing.
    • Indiana’s current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 25-years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.
    • Vehicles 25-years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
    • Antique vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).
    • Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!
    Mailed comments should be addressed to:

#08-674 (APCB) I/M Program - "Antique Vehicle"
    Manda Clevenger: Mail Code 61-50
    Rules Development Section/Office of Air Quality
    Indiana Department of Environmental Management
    100 North Senate Avenue
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

- Hand delivered comments will be accepted by the receptionist on duty at the tenth floor reception desk, Office of Air Quality, Indiana Government Center North, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana.

- Comments may be submitted by facsimile at the IDEM fax number: (317) 233-2342, Monday through Friday, between 8:15 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.

- Please confirm the timely receipt of faxed comments by calling the Rules Development Section at (317) 233-0426.

Comments must be postmarked, faxed, or hand delivered by March 13, 2009.

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at [email protected]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=600 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Terms under which this service is provided to you: sema.org/disclaimer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEMA's mailing address: 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Copyright 2007. Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)[/FONT]
    </CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]</B>
    [​IMG]

Write those letters and oppose...I don't know about where y'all are from but here they get like Gestapo!!!
    <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_656537bc-e79a-4550-ae08-a92779e62041 --><STYLE>.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}</STYLE><LINK href="http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/41406/css/microformat.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>

2. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Thanks for posting. I'll get my letter out tomorrow.

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Good deal. If anyone belongs to any other kind of message board, post it there!!! We need to get EVERYONE onboard!

EDIT: Be sure to tell your friends and family or whoever else you can think of that this might effect get those letters cracking.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. ZomBrian: Thanks for posting...

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seems lame, but here is a questions out of curiosity:

Are they proposing that all cars 25 years and old have to be reg. as antique vehicles and then can't be driven no more than 3000 miles/year? Or is the antique qualifications optional in exchange for reduced fees or something?

Would seem pretty extreme if they are proposing that every car 25 and older can only be driven 3000 mile max/yr.

Keep in mind that 25 years is only 1984! :eek: That's a full 20 years to you hit even the newest car interests on this site and 1964 is a point in time that no emissions stuff is of any concern anyway.

But, still, the point is well taken that cars 25 and older are hardly a notable factor in the big equation. It is just one of those obvious things to attack that just happens to make little or no difference in solving the real problem. Sadly, not an unusual practice among politicians.

I believe here in CA, if you stick a newer motor in an older car, you have to retain the emissions stuff that motor came with, not the year of the car. I think that is the way it is. I ran into that once doing a swap on an older 911 with a newer motor. The smog check referee tried to warn me when I brought it in that it was unlikely he was going to be able to pass it because it needed to meet the newer motor requirement, not the older car. It was a '74 with practically a brand new '89 3.2 with the computer chip, etc. But, I had the swap done right and the motor was just like new. He came back and said congratulations, you have all the proper equip. and the motor ran so clean it hardly registered anything on the readout. I was sweating bullets for about 45 min. thought thinking of all the money I had in that thing and if it didn't pass, that would have sucked big time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The thing I dont understand is, we do not even have emission testing here for any year vehicle, why would they try to make us have our old cars tested and not even mandate emmisions testing across the board.

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Same here, we don't have inspection or anything but I don't want this to all the sudden sneak up on me. The idiot junior G-men around here already tag your car for impound if you don't move it for four days:mad:. They would LOVE to get a hold of something this juicy.

8. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Can I bump for the eastern time zone suppertime crew?

9. There should be different classifications for antiques nowadays. 20 yrs. old? Cmon, alot of junk can be included in there including foriegn cars these days. I don' think an 87 grand national or 79 thru 85 monte carlo should be included in the likes of a nice model "T", a 50's car or even a muscle car. I understand that one of these rides has survived 20 years, but theres alot of junk out there that can give antiques a bad name. years ago when cars were more disposable I'd imagine 20 years was a long time, but that 80's car while more rare these days just dosn't cut it for me. I've seen 20 year old cars running around daily with antique plates, and I really hope that they don't screw it up for everybody. Change antique status to 30 years. that would make them older than 1979. hell, mabey we should go 40 year for 1969......

10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

A bump for the night-owls. Remember to tell everyone about this so we can rally together.

11. Flywheelers Car Club

Flywheelers Car Club

From what I herd, this is only the beginning. President Obama wants to push it hard on all 50 states and he wants to do the whole deal with safety inspections on top of it. It's all part of his plan to force America into buying alternative fuel vehicles that don't yet exist here.

..Monk..

12. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

It's been a while since I've brought this bttt. Just trying to keep it alive.

13. I believe they DO have inspections in the counties mentioned in this bill. That's why they want to change the description of an "antique" car. They are after those 4,600 potential gross polluters. I posted this last week too, and sent a letter. I also posted it on every other automotive forum I'm in. Once something like this gets traction, it's damn hard to reverse it. Get to writing if you can. You can go to the IDEM site and email them from the "contact" page or send a fax.
    Phil
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's what I ended up sending. If ya have time please drop them a line at the link below. Thanx, Phil

http://www.in.gov/idem/5273.htm

Attn:
    #08-674 (APCB) I/M Program - "Antique Vehicle"
    Manda Clevenger: Mail Code 61-50
    Rules Development Section/Office of Air Quality
    Indiana Department of Environmental Management

I'm writing to oppose the changes to the definition of an antique car in this bill (08-674). I realize that at this time it only pertains to two counties in Indiana, but could very easily be enacted statewide in the future. Given the VERY small percentage of vehicles this will even effect, I feel this modification is a total waste of time and resources. By your own admission these cars are seldom driven and are small in numbers. Any gains in air quality achieved by focusing on such a small percentage of the automotive population would not even be measurable. Furthermore, requiring these vehicles to posses their original emission equipment and have it be fully operational is ridiculous. Most of the OEM and aftermarket parts support for these emission systems has long since vanished and may even further erode if any U.S. auto manufacturers should go bankrupt. Requiring these cars to be tested annually and restricted in mileage only adds to the frustrations of the owners and the wallets of the testing facilities. It does nothing for clean air in Indiana. These vehicles are lovingly restored, kept, and maintained mostly by hobbyists like myself. Please drop this ill advised proposal and look elsewhere for legitimate reductions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009