Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn. Hamb Artist- and everyone else

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jstorm, Nov 17, 2005.

1. jstorm

jstorm

I got a crazy idea, i work for an art gallery that caters to one artist. I disagree with alot of the things that go on there and how its run. I have been looking into opening a gallery here in the middle Tennessee area. It will have local and national artists in it as well as hot rod art. My questions to you is:
    1. Would you rather see it in a mall or somewhere like downtown Nashville as an example. Or, somekind of town square?
    2. Do you think an attached coffee shop with live music on the weekends would help draw people to it?
    3. Would any HAMB artists be willing to submit works when this becomes a reality?

I really would like opinions and ideas here. I would like to have seperate rooms in the gallery each with different themes in them. Hot rod art mixed with automotive inspired furniture, aviation art mixed with Moto Art style furniture, stuff like that. Mix in some traditional style art such as Thomas Kinkade, Cao Yong and a few others to draw in the normal crowds.

If you can think of any other ideas or suggestions here i would greatly appreciate.

I know this is off topic but i asked permission first before i posted it.

2. ratstar

ratstar

I would send you some stuff to hang up. Its not the greatest stuff but I think you could use it.

3. jstorm

jstorm

That would be cool, i would like to include a HAMB showcase eventually. Maybe set up a small HAMB gallery at the HAMB drags with Ryans permission.

4. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

Sounds like a great idea. I would be willing to send some of my stuff down for ya.

5. raven

raven

I'd be willing to send you some pics. Where would I send it?
    r

6. ratstar

ratstar

Lets bust out the crayons boys.

7. jstorm

jstorm

Right now we are looking for a place. I will give updated info on where to submit art after the new year when we have an idea of where it will be located.

I am thinking near a mall but outside will be best. that way we still get mall traffic and have room for a cruise in of other type of event.

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I'd do it as long as you hung up my 'anti-Kincaid' stuff(paintings of crackhouses and projects) next to the Kincaid gallery:D

9. jstorm

jstorm

Im down for that

10. guiseart

guiseart

I've always wanted to do the same thing in my area.

Art shoppers don't look in the malls IMHO... I think a spot on a "square", or amongst other art-related shops would be your best bet, not in between a Korean nail salon and a trendy bluejean outlet.

I would love to contribute when the time comes. Specializin in "Car-Art" would be unique enough to stand out, and get alot of interest. Think pinstriping, car paintings and sketches, photographs, furniture... oh man, I can hook you up. I tour with a group of about 12 artists who do nothing but auto-art, youjust let me know when and where this thing is gonna be.

11. jstorm

jstorm

you my friend are right, the mall art crowd does not take kindly to the stuff i like. I will definetly let you know when we get all the plans finalized.

12. sounds like a cool idea! Let me know when you're ready.

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I might be interested.

Avoid the mall at all costs. Be unique.

14. A stand-alone building would probably be cooler. Nothing's cheesier than a mall art gallery. That's where the Kinkade's belong. But better ask yourself, where do the people with disposable incomes hang out.

Maybe next door, but not attached. People come to a coffeehouse to buy coffee. People go to a gallery to buy art... and to freeload at openings and get free wine :) In a coffee shop, it's more like decoration for free for the owner. Also, I'd never put paintings in a dirty/smokey environment.

I would.

FUCK THOMAS KINKADE!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You already work at the gallery that draws the normal people, and you hate it.

15. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Lots of talented artists here on the board, and some in your neck of the woods....Tingler and Brooding Swede, for example...Ratster, and more !

16. farna

farna

I think you have a good idea, better have it near some auto related things rather than other artsy stuff if you're serious about specializing in hot-road/auto related art. But then again, something for the guys when they are forced to go to the trendy areas with their wives isn't bad either! :D

Mall's a no-no, something in a down-town area where there is a mix of trandy/craft shops and galleries would be nice. ADVERTISE a lot though! Some of the local speed shops might let you put posters or flyers/business cards out. There's a hot rod or muscle car museum in that area, correct? If they don't have anything like that they might let you advertise there also. Maybe trade advertising with them.

I disagree about the coffe shop not being attached. I think Nashville is like other areas of hte country now, no smoking in public areas, so smoky wouldn't be a problem. You're talking drinks and maybe some kind of finger foods anyway, not a full blown sandwich shop, right? If it's attached but in it's own area off to the side, with maybe some seating in the gallery area, it should draw a few people in and pay the rent. If the coffee shop starts to rake in more, you can always reduce the gallery area. Might not be what you want, but ya never know how things work out until ya try! Better to be prepared to "go with the flow"!!

17. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Maybe you should take a look at this place:

http://www.roqlarue.com/

They have been kicking ass for as long as I can remember...

18. k-member

k-member

I would be willing to send down some stuff from the Pacific NorthWest.

19. 1. Would you rather see it in a mall or somewhere like downtown Nashville as an example. Or, somekind of town square?

I wouldn't think that downtown Nashville would be the best place for a mainly automotive art gallery. I'm thinking it might fly in a place with a more or less year round vehicular tourists and locals, like Daytona, Indianapolis, LA, Detroit...

2. Do you think an attached coffee shop with live music on the weekends would help draw people to it?

Mybe, but the art may take a back seat to the coffee shop if it's successful on it's own.

3. Would any HAMB artists be willing to submit works when this becomes a reality?

I would... especially if it might sell.

20. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

I might not be what you expected but I would love to send in some of my work. I have always thought helmets were a major part of racing art. It would be awsome to see some of my work in an open minded gallery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Great idea but like everyone else said, stay outta the mall. One of the main reasons would be the very high monthly rent.

It's been many years but I have been to an area in downtown Nashville that had what I would refer to as an artists community. Lots of tall brick buildings, some warehouses, which had galleries and little stores on the ground level and living/working quarters on the upper levels. Lots of resturants and bars in the area as well. I can't remember what the name of the area is but it should ring a bell with someone who lives or works in Nashville. Remember, LOTS of tourists in Nasville, year round. Tourist have extra money in their pockets to spend and a piece of artwork is a great souvenir.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not to be totally ignorant but how do you get paid? Would the contributing artists be working on a consignment setup?

23. james

james

I think you had us until you mentioned Thomas Kinkaid and art in the same sentence without laughing.

24. I'd be willing to submit some B&W photoagraphy, if oyu're interested.

I'm thinking your best bet is the artsy district of whatever burg you're in. Unless its a really true small town. In which caes the town square is perfect.

Town square now that's a bit of terminology.
    Old is remembering the "town square" as a place and not a person.

25. TINGLER

TINGLER

Its normal for a gallery to take 50% of the asking price. Thats how the gallery gets paid.

I would be willing to be a part of it, depending on what your set up looks like.

If its some rat dump in a mall, I'm not in.....I've been a part of crappy galleries for so long, I'm fed up. :D :D Plus, I've never seen a real gallery in a mall....those shops that sell "artwork" are glorified poster stores... And Thomas Kinkaide sucks.

If you need some opinions, let me know. I've got plenty. hahaha :D Seriously, I've been around this stuff for a while now, so maybe I could help you get going in the right direction....?

Oh yeah, I'd be willing to throw some art in there.....If you are serious about your set up.

TINGLER

26. jstorm

jstorm

Your right, but Kinkade pays the bill right now.

Me and the guy who wants to do it have been talking today.

We will probably avoid a mall setting but stay near a mall just to get the traffic. We wont be 100% automotive themed but it will lean more towards transportation. We will have sculptures, paintings, photography and any other medium someone might submit. The coffee shop wont be in the gallery but attached with a door leading to the gallery. We also want a small gift shop attached carring related items to the kind of art we have at that time.

We will probably work on a type of consignment deal with artists who submit work. You tell us how much you want then we add our cut and everyone is happy.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, i am loving them. And to all the people who have offered art i will keep you all updated on the gallery as it comes along. When it time to get artists i will take submissions but as of now it looks like everyone who has sent some stuff will be accepted.

27. ratrodford

ratrodford

Hell Yeah Im In..........................

But Most Def. Not In A Mall.....................

Lets Put A Tattoo Studio In There Ive Always Wanted To Live In Nashville........................

28. jstorm

jstorm

i thought about attaching a tattoo studio too. Was gonna PM you about that. you beat me to it.

29. jstorm

jstorm

I am thinking along the lines of something like this. Nothing to distract your eye from art. Maybe a pedestal or two with somekind or sculpture on it related to the paintings around it. Simple but nice. maybe with a little more color though.

Attached Files:

30. rowdy

rowdy

there is an art gallery off of sixth avenue i believe, called the fugitive art gallery the mostly do features and shit of local artist. it is pretty cool but a lot of the stuff is wicked gay. nashville needs something like this, although there isnt alot of interest in hot rods , there never seems to be a lack of interest in art. i would be happy to help out if you need anything, we have a shop on 2nd and demonbreun. stay away from any of the malls, check out the germantown part of town it is still fairly cheap and the buildings are cool.