Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTN GM wagon experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oso64, Nov 15, 2005.

1. oso64

oso64

i was wondering if anyone knows if the rear tailgate lock cylinder on a mid 60s full size wagon is the same as a regular trunk lock cyl?i have a 64 biscayne wagon and i am missing the lock out of the tailgate.i have not been able to find one on e gay and after market wagon parts are far and few between.help me out fellas, thanks, -jimmy-

2. hiredgun

hiredgun

Your 64 should use the same cylender as my 63. I got mine from Classic Industries. I feel your pain on trying to find wagon parts, eventhough there are a few out there.

3. oso64

oso64

thanks hiredgun,wouldn't you know, the one catalog i don't have.i'll check their site.i have impala bobs, cars inc, classic bowties, the car and truck shop, ect..... thanks again!!! -jimmy-

4. oso64

oso64

the only tailgate lock they have is for a power window.i have a manual window tailgate.so my orig question is reistated. -jimmy-

5. hiredgun

hiredgun

Boy that makes me want to double check the one I have. Ordered it earlyer this summer and haven't put it in yet. I'll check tomorrow at the shop to be sure.

6. oso64

oso64

let me know.if it works, get me the part # if you can.thanks hiredgun. -jimmy-

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

I've got 3 63 tailgates but all are electric,but I have seen the manual
    lock cylinders on ebay from time to time,some NOS even. Must be patient.
    Interestingly my 65 impala wagon(power) shares the bezel and lock cylinder/
    switch with Blazers into the 70's.

8. Since i'm new to the wagons, what does it take to put a electric one in place of a manual one? also wanna sell one of the 3??

9. ElDawgg

ElDawgg

Wow 3 spare tailgates! That stuff is gold! I looked for years for the "wagon only" cove trim for my 63. Finally found some up in the Panhandle. I'll post some pics when I figure out how.

10. Ramblur

Ramblur

As far as I know,mechanically its a straight across swap(forgive me its been
    almost 30 years since I swapped a crank-up out) but I do remember
    spending most of that time wiring it up without the factory harness.
    Don't really want to sell any till I settle on which one I'm using. Keep
    watching egay. My wife got me an NOS 63 biscayne tailgate "skin" for my
    birthday about 10 years ago out of Hemmings. I've got a complete set
    of NOS trim off of egay in the last couple years,along with NOS lift motors.

"HINT" watch "papa7104" on egay , he's sold multiples of 63 NOS tailgate
    trim that can/could be bought rite depending on the competition.

Also,somebodies repopping tailgate weatherstrip,I've seen that on
    (yes again) egay. I don't have one yet,so thanks for reminding me to
    get with it.

The stuffs still out there guys! The last 63 gate I got (this summer)
    I just threw out the start bid of $50 to watch it and noone else hit it.
    Thats complete, electric,and in good shape.Scored a 57 chevy tailgate
    this year for $185, cherry,even the latches,handle and retractor chrome was great,all the stainless trim around the lineoleum is very decent.
    Hell, I've seen bare shells sell for $400:eek: Just doesn't have to be that way.

11. oso64

oso64

you wouldn't happen to have any of that old crank up stuff still around, would you? HIREDGUN, any word on that lock cylinder? -jimmy-

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Jimmy, I'm gonna havta go archelogical and dig, but yah,give me a couple
    days and PM me next week I'll let you know what I turn up.

Now get this, I was just out in the shop comparing the 63 and 65 gates.
    Guess what? The punchouts for the handles are the same! That leads me
    to believe that winder handles/lock cylinders from the later big GM wagons
    and Blazers might work for you. The chrome piece and lock cylinder/switch on
    my 65 came off of a 72? or so Blazer. Only difference is it uses the later
    type oval headed key. Bolts in the same.

Wonder if they repop the gasket for the Blazer??? -Jeff-

13. oso64

oso64

RAMBLUR, i noticed i can get those from NAPA.i'll pm you next week about those parts though.good luck, and thank you for all your help(all you guys)thats why i love the HAMB!!!!!! -jimmy-

14. hiredgun

hiredgun

Sorry about the late reply, long day at the shop. Lock cylender is for '62-'72 GM full size manual tailgates, I'm sure it works on others. Classic Inds. part#: G1743, GM part#: 12507408. $17.22 from Classic. This was from their old catalog couldn't find the new one but I did order the cylender from the current one when I had it in front of me. Also has to be keyed by a locksmith to work with existing keys, supposedly not a big deal.
    If anyone knows where there is rear cove trim for a '63, also side trim Impala or Bel Air, I can't find anything out there right now.
    Thanks, Ben

15. should have just asked about the electric parts, that's really what i need...

16. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

that piece of poop i got on ebay ( '61 wagon ) came with an extra tailgate i'll look at the lock and see if it works.....

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As I read this I have flash back of my 53 wagon part searches. Spent two years looking for the the rear T handle (that was not a total pitted POS and inside handle. I have two T handes now, and I can not find a locksmith that can make a key for them (they say the locks are frozen.. (I say bullshit). I eventually found a NOS lock tumbler but have not disassembled my T handle lock assemby to swap over.

Finding wagon parts is a pain in the ass, especially now that they are popular, everyone wants them...

Best of luck

18. oso64

oso64

Ben, thanks a million for the part #s.found the lock on classic ind right off the bat.my bro lilbud is going to see if he can locate the gm# local.i will finally be able to open my tailgate on the beer wagon.i have had her for close to 2 years now.thanks for the help again.Boones, boy you ain't liein about locating wagon parts.try finding side trim for this thing.(guess whats next on my list)i may as well be trieing to find a man named charlie in vietnam. -jimmy-

19. hiredgun

hiredgun

jimmy, glad the part #'s helped. You might check out four door 64's for side trim, I know that you can get all that stuff re-pop but not positive if it will fit your wagon, something to think about at least. Ben

20. oso64

oso64

yeah, i've looked into just buying just the lower trim from a 4 door impala.a lot of cash!!!!!i'll be lookin for awhile. -jimmy-

21. You have an extra 61 wagon tailgate?

Travis

22. Ramblur

Ramblur

Must correct myself on the 63 tailgate that I got this year. It was only
    $9.99! OK, it cost $90 to ship from CO to FL and to tell the truth I haven't
    even unboxed it yet. Sure didn't think $10 would buy it but it did.:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4558209581&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D4558209581%26fcl%3D3%26catref%3DC3%26from%3DR2%26fvi%3D1

My frame off 63 belair wagon is currently on a back burner, but I'm still picking
    up peices/parts.