Register now to get rid of these ads!

attn 1953/54 chevy hardtop custom owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by laloszephyr, Jan 21, 2012.

1. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

i got a buddy who made me two chopped 53/54 back windows for two chevy hardtop cars ive owned and sold to other friends of mine. the process is simple,the window came with 2 1/2 inches off and since they were not tempered im sure i could have cut more off, but i feel these cars dont and shouldnt go more then 3 inches,but thats me.with that the A pillar is cut and the c pillar is cut across and its pretty much welding and making a few stress cuts to make it flow.i recently got the call from my buddy and he has decided to make a limited batch.i was wondering if anybody knew who else was making them.the reason is, we want to make them but do not wanna price them at an outraeous amount so that the average garage guy wont be able to afford one.as you can see from the pics this saves alot of time and money and its just an all overall better way to do a nice custom.if anybody has any ifno,pics or would like to own one of the limited back windows for a future project,please let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. cruiser51

cruiser51

how much are they i mite be interested.

3. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

i'll send you a pm with more details.

4. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

im jealous, great idea, wish mine was glass

5. dodgord

dodgord

made them? are they laminated? love to know more

6. laloszephyr

laloszephyr

Actually that's what we are deciding at this point. Yes it would be good to laminate but the cost would be more. The ones made for my prior cars are made from a single piece.the blue 54 has been around for more the ten years, as for the 53 it's still waiting paint but will turn heads when finished.both backlites have stood the test.anymore info, just pm me and I'll be happy to give it.

7. the laminated ones are coming from china. and are fairly cheap. I keep hearing that they plan on 47-54 chev pick up corner windows in 3 and 4 inch chop. haven't seen one yet. I can't imagine enough demand to warrant manufacturing a chopped backglass. 50-100 would not cover the cost. I have a grey Laminated 53-54 hardtop backglass that has a bad laminate separation (owners fault) that would only be good for a deep chop.

8. Skeetum

Skeetum

I am a little confused. Maybe you can clear up for me. So these rear glasses are laminated and not tempered, and because of that, you can cut them? I am pretty sure tempered cannot be cut or is very hard from what I have read. I have a '54 Ford with curved back glass, and thought my only option would be to sink it in a channel, or use another window..like from a '50 Ford. I would be interested in more detail if you have the time...

9. adamshumard

adamshumard

Will they fit post cars?

10. I just cut a backglass down for a secret custom being built, can't mention it yet. but Laminated Backglass is available for many older cars and it can be ordered Clear, Green Tint, light and dark grey tint (smoked)