Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attic Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. tail lights look to be 55-56 Dodge....good find...

els likes this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I was wondering about them. One needs a lense. I hope to keep as many of the old parts as possible - except the dash - that is too nice to waste on a hot rod.

And the rear end. I'm in love w/ 9 inchers and I have a set of original Ansen Sprint mags with a Ford bolt pattern (15 x 10; 14 x 6) that I may try to fit in.

bchctybob and els like this.
  3. "Mike Britton, I am thinking a 240 / 300 big six, like my son has in his Anglia. He stores it at my place so it will be an extremely useful visual aid in resurrecting this one."

Wow! That engine bay is jam up full! Killer torque, parts are plentiful, how does weight on an inline compare to the typical small block? Always cool when an alternative engine is used.
    When we were racing the digger in Div.4 back in the early 70's, there were these guys that came down from Missouri with an altered T running an inline 6. That car humbled several V8's! This will be an interesting build!

els likes this.
  4. nutajunka

nutajunka

Man! That stinks. I remember reading your thread about finding one. Hope all goes well. Can't stand scamers....:mad:
    Sorry to bump in on your thread OP.

els likes this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Official Ford documents I've seen list the shipping weight of a dry 300 six at 490 lbs, with cast iron intake and exhaust. Similar documentation shows a simillarly equipped 302 V8 at 520 lbs. Pretty close to the same.

els likes this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I dusted off the body and shored up the fragile rocker panel area with some steel struts. The only legible thing painted on the car is the name "Tom Mills". Tom, Are you out there? Let's talk. Enjoy the pics:

body braced 02.jpg
    body braced 01.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    TFoch, bchctybob and els like this.
  7. Mattbee

Mattbee

Can I ask where in Canton?

els likes this.
  8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Nice score! Anglias are cool with anything under the hood!

els likes this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I would prefer to not say anything more about the prevuious owner as his health is not good and I do not wish for him to be bothered.

He does not have any other cars to sell.
    He does not have any other Anglia parts.
    He is not selling anything else to my knowledge.

els likes this.
  10. Gregg-

Sorry I missed you at Thompson. Got there after 5:00pm on Sat. Great find on the Anglia. Similar ?? after I got the HJ. My Henry J has '56 dodge tailights.

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Sorry to have missed you Mike. Next year.

The HJ looks cool.

els likes this.
  12. 62RatRod

62RatRod

els likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

rear nine inch 03.jpg rear nine inch 01.jpg rear nine inch 02.jpg rear nine inch 06.jpg I'm so giddy about this car it becons to me even though I have other, more pressing projects. So I decided to build a narrowed nine-inch rear to replace the '57 Chevy rear end. I started with a '73 Mercury rear end because it has the common 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern which will give me the widest choice of wheels.

After disassembling and cleaning I measured the axle for shortening, using a nifty little gage used to center up the pinion gear. Then I chopped three inches off the ends and trued and chamferred them in a lathe. Then I removed the excess lengths of the axle tubes and welded everything back together.

TFoch and els like this.
  14. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Looking good. Getting the rear end set up in a car is always a nice milestone to get passed.

DC

els likes this.
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a great find! Looks really straight too! I'd be hard pressed to get my mind on anything else too!

els likes this.
  16. I have to disagree with those that say Chopped Anglias don't look good. I think they CAN look killer. Examples
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But YES, They can look WONG as well
    [​IMG]

Spoggie and els like this.
  17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

That body looks bloody sound! There are a couple of Anglias (populars as they are called here in the UK) near me. One is stock and untouched, the other is mildly rodded. I keep thinking a might build a similar one as a daily. Can't wait to see what you do to it. I have had a hand in buildig a few over the years.

David

els likes this.
  18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

frame buildup 04.jpg Here is the rear end all tack welded up:

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

LUCKY TURD......great find .
    '
    enjoy with the grandson , don't get no better then that .

els likes this.
  20. I will be following this closely,as I just brought home a 52 Prefect...Came with a 2.8 V 6..

Thanks;
    Rick
    ==========================================

els likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The gear that was in the pig is a 2.75, 28 spline, non-posi. I had the axles narrowed and centered up the pinion yoke and plan to run the driveshaft straight down the center of the car, as opposed to offsetting it to the right side of the car. I will probably start with the 2.75 ratio but my tastes tend to run higher numerically.

els likes this.
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice work on the rear housing! Looks like a solid setup!

els likes this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hey Rick,
    Got any pics? I've seen others with 2.6 / 2.8 / 4.0 V6s and they fit in there nicely. Those tiny intake manifolds are soooo cute - multiple carbs would look neat on one.

Are you coming to the Nostalgia race at Milan 9/29?

els likes this.
  24. Thats a great start on a great project espically having grandson help you with it, and give him a great start. Thats the way to pay it forward......... congrats!!!

els likes this.
  25. I have some pics on another thread V 6 Ford
    I pulled the motor out last night.Nothing ,seems tbe done correctly (IMHO)..not taking anything for chance..

Yes,plan is to do Milan at the end of the month.

Rick
    ---------------------------------------------------

els likes this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

A V-6 Ford would work great. There are two brothers in this area one with an Anglia and the other is a 4 door (basically the same but I not sure of the name/possible a Prefect) and I believe they both run the v6. They fit but they are tight. But in my opinion they "look" right as far as their proportions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
    els likes this.
  27. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I ran a 51 Anglia with a 300 ford 6 back in 1970 until Sizemore, Rydell and the rest ran me off with their ultra high dollar heads. I ran a Sissel head & cam with a Holman Moody intake and 600 Holley. The car would do unreal wheel stands. I never could solve the problem of keeping the flywheel from lossening up. That was before the modern front dampners came out. I put extra dowels, locktite, safety wire etc, nothing worked. I even tack welded the bolts to the flywheel and the vibration just busted the welds. Every 3 runs I had to take it apart. After a while I gave up & sold it. Wish I had kept it for a street car with a C-4 or even tried running it with one

els likes this.
  28. Nice Anglia find, I was trying to buy one a couple years back but just couldn't get the owner to let it loose. It seems his friend gave it to him and although he didn't want it, he wouldn't sell it either.

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center><center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>
    Funny thing is my Henry J had those same tail lights when I bought it !

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    els likes this.
  29. I'm in the process of moving the v 6 back about 4 or so inches ,and raising it at least 3" from it's position now..

Rick

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

mykawboy,
    I love those inline sixes. I run automatics in mine and I think that is way easier on flywheel loosening as I have never had loosening issues with mine. Years ago I ran a four-speed and also a Clutchflite but they were never together long enough to run into loosening issues. Maybe it was because I used an aluminum flywheel and a damper.

Check out my profile for the six cylinder cars I'm running today.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    els likes this.