Register now to get rid of these ads!

attention GOOD car thieves - IGNITION TUMBLER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1964countrysedan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I have a 1962 Chevrolet C10 that I am wanting to replace the tumbler in the ignition switch.

I DO NOT HAVE THE KEY.

The searches I have done on the big W.W.W. indicate that I need the key in, with the tumbler in the "on" position to use a paper clip to release the retaining spring (reference small hole in tumbler face). I DO NOT HAVE THE KEY.

On an off topic German car, I was able to drill an 1/8 inch hole in a specific location, insert an awl and push a retaining spring which released the tumbler.

Is there a similar trick on this one?

I have not been able to determine the retainer design of this one from pictures on the internet.

Of course I can go buy an ignition switch and install a new tumbler, but figured some of you bandits have done this before.

Thanks
    Rodney

Attached Files:

2. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

It can be done, but it's not easy, most of them you have to take the back off of by uncrimping it to get to the springs so you can release the tumbler.

My experience has mainly been with 60's and 70's ford switches, Chevy may be a little or allot different.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Try a few keys cut similarly. An old sloppy lock like that is EASY to jiggle open.

4. Take it to a locksmith

5. Willy301

Willy301

If you make a tension wrench, and a drag pic out of small pieces of , in a pinch. Pick the lock to the on position and then insert your paper clip. A small screwdriver can work as the tension wrench, but hard to work the pick around it. If you bend the blade 90 degrees on a very small, cheap(read:unhardend) screwdriver, it makes it much easier. If you ever bought a Stihl piece of equipment, when they had adjustable carbs, the screwdriver supplied then makes the best tool.
    I am a locksmith, but this is the "hotrodder" way around spending a crap load of money. I do not work daily as a locksmith, just took the course and worked with a pro locksmith a little to get the tricks to a few of the auto locks.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've picked them and I've also used the "wrong" key to get them to turn. Sometimes a small old worn out penknife will do the job.

Willy301 uses proper lockpicking terminology, pay attention to what he says!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'60's GM keys are very sloppy...if you know a few people with that generation of GM locks (I think maybe 1950's--early '80's??) try a few keys and wiggle them a bit. I have never tried one of these with rake and tension, but I suspect they would be very easy for amateur picking like a cheap padlock using the tech above.
    At the do-it-yourself locksmith stores online, the actually sell a fairly small set of master keys that will do all the GM locks of the period...sloppy stuff and not very many codes.

8. Gator

Gator

Many years ago (high school) I lost the keys to my '66 Mustang. My girlfriend at the time drove a nearly new '79 Monte Carlo. I was able to start my car with her trunk key.

9. squirrel

squirrel

1930s to late 60s

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I know a guy who can get it , but i don't think you want him around your car.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

So true

I had a 66 Elcamino...with the key i could start up the truck and pull out the key and drive it all day long , than put the key back in to shut it off..

than one day i couldnt find my keys..in a panic to get to work i got a small file and jammed it in the slot and cranked her to life and went to work

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I realize this is a boring thread compared to "what does 4 bolt mean?"

I did get the tumbler out by turning the lock with a bent screwdriver and a thin screwdriver to pick. It was so worn that I probably could have just turned it with a dime.

I had read on stovebolt.com "with the key in on position... insert paperclip to release." I messed with that awhile then said "screw it!" I couldn't see whatever it was that was holding it in, so I ground the front of the old tumbler off so I could maybe see what was holding in it. No help, but when I pried, out of impatience, the old tumbler came out.

If I figure out how to get the new one to stay in I will let you know. Otherwise, I am going to mount one of these to the dash!

Thanks again.
    Rodney

Attached Files: