Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attaching the body to frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Im building a full fendered 29 chrysler. Im wondering how are you guys attaching these side frame cover back to the frame, and attaching the body ontop of these covers? Im going to build a floor structure and steel floor, just wondering how you guys attach it all together. Im also boxing my frame. Thx Screenshot_20210901-114451_Gallery.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that it is pretty universal in that the side covers are held down by the body and body bolts and not attached separately.
    There is probably some thin layer of anti squeak material between the frame and the side cover, the body mount blocks sitting in the right places on top of the side covers and then the body sitting on them with bolts going through all of it.

pitman likes this.
  3. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

So the stock setup they have the side cover riveted to the frame, and the body was held down by the body mounts. From what i understand they used leather between them for anti squeek seperation. Just wondering what others are doing now to attach them. Thanks for the input

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Looks very similar to Model A's. The frame webbing goes down first then the splash shield (what you are calling covers) then the body blocks over the splash shield. On a Model A, the splash shield is held onto the frame with flat domed shaped bolts and the body bolts go thru it.

Doug Sonnenberg likes this.

5. The 32 Plymouth I worked on the apron sandwiched between the body and chassis.
    For aligning the body I started at the cowl and worked back.
    The fenders have a lot of movement in the bolt holes (the one I built did) for the rear.
    I set up the cowl and worked backwards. Left the bolts loose enough I could still move the apron.
    Fenders attach to the body and apron.
    I aligned the shell, rear fenders, aprons and doors, then attacked from the cowl forward.
    Built the sub rails and repaired the body. The floor was last after the engine and trans was installed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. 2503C064-9942-4B70-827E-ABF7B23C5790.jpeg
    for this one, I squared up the body with a plumb bob and laser. Fit doors and braced it up.
    Repaired the sub rails then the body. The floor was last.

fiftyv8 and Doug Sonnenberg like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Pretty sure that you will need to build a subframe first up.
    If you can find another car of the same year that the owner is willing to share dimensions etc, plus knowledge that would be a big help.
    When you do build your subframe it can be done on your chassis but you will need to get that level and squared up before starting...
    Once all that is done I am sure it will start to fall into place for you.
    Expect a lot of tacking and bracing along the way so hunt around for suitable brace material.

8. How much of the original wood do ya have?

fiftyv8 likes this.