Register now to get rid of these ads!

Att Rocketeers & Olds Fanatics,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dat Dirty Rat, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Is there the same amount of concern if any with putting an Olds on an enginestand as there is with doing the same with a Flathead?? It just seem like waaay to much weight to have it supported only by a couple screws in the back...I want to start cleaning up the motor & 'freshin [​IMG]' things up a bit but don't want the damn thing to put a whole in the garage floor either..We already know they are 2xs heavier than a smallblock Chevy!!
    I was just wondering what some of you might have used in the past..Please feel free to post pics as well..Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dirty

2. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's one of my 324's on a stand. It's worked fine so far.
    [​IMG]

3. mecutem

mecutem

just a thought on the weight......seems some time ago I read the early olds motors weigh just 4 pounds less than the big block chevys. Thats not so terribly heavy. I also remember reading a rebuild article where they bored the cylinders on a 303 block and weighed the shavings, around 25 pounds!Cool motors. I would stay away from the cheapest made in china stands if I was going to put anything heavier than a sbc on it. Steve

4. When I leave an engine on the stand for a period of time, I wedge a just-the-right length 2x4 under it near the outside or front of the engine.
    A couple of taps with a big hammer creates a lot of upward pressure and the load is no longer cantilevered.

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you should see my engine stand i build a few years back. you could hang the whole car off the front of it and it'd be fine [​IMG]. i'll try to get a pic later and post it...

Mike

6. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Well i gotta step in here and say , that i have had a gutted 303 with heads and edmunds intake on a engine stand in my shop for the last 7 years and it has not crashed to the floor yet. mine is not even supported by the lower bellhousing like rocket88 has his. one of these days i just might get around to putting it together. congrats on the 1000 guy. one of these years i just might get there. i think Peter did it in 24 hours?.

7. BigJim394

BigJim394

The 394 Olds with the cast iron front engine cover (the 1959 for example) was the second heaviest production OHV V8 after the 392 Chrysler Hemi. If you have a sketchy engine stand and you intend to put a full 394 on it with the heads, stock cast exhaust manifolds, cast stock intake and all the accesories, you might want to think about getting a little better quality engine stand (some of the import stands that the guys who sell the cheapo tools at swap meets have, don't look that sturdy to me and the welds sometimes look only fair).

8. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

whats worse is pulling a rocket/hydro at the same time in dirt by your self hoping it doesnt tip over when you roll the car back.or worse yet letting it down on a sloop in dirt by your self hopeing it doesnt tip over. [​IMG]
    eric

9. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Anyone know of place that sells a good heavy duty one? I was going to go to Harbor Freight to mount up my 303, but after reading this, maybe that would be asking for it... Another note: For the last 5 - 10 years the engine was stored sitting on its pan...I would swear that the looks like the pan was eventualy crushed under the weight of the motor...

Reminds me that I need a replacement...

10. kustomolds

kustomolds

Dirty,
    I have had a complete Pontiac 455 on an engine stand, and was terrified that she was gonna topple over. The Olds motor hsould be fine on the stand ( if you want a little piece of mind, do the old 2X4 trick), I would almost bet that the Olds and the Poncho are real close in weight....

11. moondisc

moondisc

I was just going to ask where MoldyOlds has been.
    Thought you were too big to talk to the little people, now that you're a drag race superstar! hehe

12. [ QUOTE ]
    you should see my engine stand i build a few years back. you could hang the whole car off the front of it and it'd be fine [​IMG]. i'll try to get a pic later and post it...

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that, the thing is huge. It almost needs it's own bay, it's pretty cool looking too.

13. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

framedragger,that oil pan is plenty thick,take a BFH and a 2x4 and pound it out,it'll be just fine.as far as engine stands,i like the ones with 4 wheels,i've got a 3 wheeler too,but i only put SBF and rambler flat 6's on that one.

14. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Mecutem- I just remembered somebody posting engine weights & i thought it said the 303-324's were like 600 pounds? I dont know how true? I'm just concerned about stress cracks and shit..Ya just never know,,so ask!

c9-I thought about doing that,,but hopefully it will only be 'up' for a month or two. Still doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Kustombuilder- I'd like to see it,,where are the pics??

Lakes- My concern was having a complete one on there and putting some kind of stress cracks around that bellhousing area.

BigJim- How have been? Nice to hear from you!
    Again, Thanks a million for all of that info you sent me. Its greatly appreciated!

56- Been there & done that,,Bent the hell out of my picker!!

Kustomolds- or is it 'BravaHo!?? Did you get my message about the x-mas party??

Thanks to everyone that responded,,It was greatly appreciated. Stay turned for pics in the next couple of weeks!!

Dirty

15. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

thats hilarious the stuff we go though to do what we want.i never imagined my cherry picker would have bent the way it did too!i have one more to pull sitting outside,and its comming in the garage before i attempt anthing else.wow the hamb is just cool as hell.there are actually other people bending cherry pickers.lol [​IMG]

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Yeah,,,it was funny cause i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't roll right. grant it, the weight was really throwing stuff around and the pavement sucked! But when i stopped to set the engine craddle up & saw how cocked it was I just started laughing!

Dirty

p.s. I still have 'ol-faithful' with me!!