Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Atlanta Speedshop $10,000 Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Oct 13, 2012.

1. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Thanks to all who stopped by our pit. Between the the HMG and SFCC, it was a busy spot. Met lots of folks that I only knew by screen names. Overall it was very good day.

Hate to hear about the Atlanta Speed Shop banner getting disappeared. I was afraid that was going to happen to ours, so we just hung it on the trailer. If its going to be garage art, at least it'll be in our garage.

It would be great if the event was successful enough to do it again next year.

2. Thanks D.W. man.

3. That sucks - then Dave was worried about his banner - damn

Come on guys - It ain't like it was a HOLLEY or a SUMMIT banner - Not that I would condone that. :D

Let's get the original A.S.S. back their banner!

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'd be happy to host that at my November or December NE Georgia Swap Meet, if anyone wants to give me a hand with the details.

-Brad

5. I happen to be combing the internet for any new photos of last Saturday's event that may have recently been posted. Instead I found these photos that I had never seen before of past Atlanta $10,000 Drag Races, covering the 1965 and 1970 events. These are some very cool photos taken at the old Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway, where the original Atlanta $10,000 races were held from 1964 - 1972.

I could not find a name for the photographer, but the photos are from the website: Competition Plus - Drag Racing's Online Magazine. These are a real blast from the past !!!!

This first set is of the 1970 event. The second set is of the 1965 event

1970 Atlanta $10,000 Drag Race

First three shots are of the strip taken in 1970:

Looking southwest toward the staging area .........
    [​IMG]

Looking somewhat north .......
    [​IMG]

Looking northeast down toward the finish .......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued .........

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  6. 1965 Atlanta $10,000 Drag Race

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE END!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

8. I made one correction. The website stated that the later photos were from the 1971 event, so I went with that.

However, Down South Racer (Freddie) pointed out that the event was most likely the 1970 event, as he was there. I'm with Freddie on that, hence the change.

9. Love that tall 31 Ford.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Down South Racer (Freddie) IS A WEALTH OF DRAG RACING KNOWLEDGE.

11. captmullette

captmullette

great pics, i once ran my chevette there, a blistering 22.0

12. Did anyone notice the photo up near the top of Huston Platt's Dixie Twister versus Julius Hughes' A.S.S. 'Cuda?

That Dixie Twister would be the one that was at Commerce last Saturday!

13. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

14. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Toby,,, Did you know "swing belly" bill hughes?

15. I didn't know him.

16. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

I forgot about the swingbelly name Bill was a dear friend to us & is greatly missed His daughter Irene Hughes McClure is following in his footsteps & took many pictures at the Atlanta $10,000 Oct. 13th

17. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Use to go to the races in the late 60's and after a stint in Army went back in the early 70's running a 55 with a 427 big block.Had a frt engine rail but could never get it right sold it to a guy that worked for Reed Cams when he was in Decatur .Wish now I had it back.Had a Sneak Pete frt end and a M/T mag rear end

18. 66L-79

66L-79

The photo of the Willy's running the T Bird looks like Gene Cromers Moonlighter which there is a build thread here on the hamb on the Moonlighter.

19. Toby - All those old pictures are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

I've heard chopnchaneled tell lots of cool stories about Swing Belly. Cool Stuff.

20. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Once again, any details about that blue blown 66 Chevelle?Phone #?

21. Wow! Thanks for that tip!

Here's the thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730747&highlight=moonlighter+willys

The thread was started by Quain Stott, the guy who owns "The Executioner" Willys Gasser that was at Commerce on Saturday. He and the original owner of the Moonlighter, Gene Cromer, are doing the rebuild. Wouldn't it be cool to see that car ready for next years event?

Man, it has been amazing how this one event (Atlanta $10,000) has opened so many doors and made so many connections for people.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

22. Yeah, that was a really nice Chevelle. When I shot the photo, the owner was nowhere around. I don't know who owns it. Hopefully, someone will notice and come up with a name for you. :)

23. KutlassKim

KutlassKim

Looks like a good time ....... thanks for the pics

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I want to build something to race next year so bad. Thanks that is just what I need is to be trying to start another project.

25. Thanks for the heads up on this - I am going to do my best to get there for this! This group was my favorite by far.

Josh

26. Matt Stambaugh

Matt Stambaugh

Anybody have any contact info on the Green blown SBC Cackle dragster that was at the race?
    thanx in advance
    Matt Stambaugh
    [email protected]

27. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Has anyone gotten any leads on the missing 'WELCOME RACE FANS' banner?

28. he is here in cartersville,ga where i live. i will find out more info. check back with me in a few days, mark-678-713-6220

29. You're referring to the '66 Chevelle?

Elaine, I truly hope you get that banner back! I really hate it that in the midst of such success and enjoyment you had with this event there has to be this low point. :(