Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Atlanta Hambers!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Hey I may be relocating to Atlanta. What areas should I look into? Any other tips and info would be great. Hangouts, cruise ins ext. really like older communities and mid century styled homes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The Atlanta area is a hot bed of hot rodding and many Hamber live in and around Hotlanta.

You might touch base with a few of the SFCC guys. HRP

3. chopped

chopped

All the actions on the north side.

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Atlanta is a HUGE area.
    It depends on what kind of living you like--more metro (think "traffic," but LOTS to do) or more rural (laid back).
    Avoid the South Side.
    I personally don't like the Marietta area, which is pretty popular.
    I chose to go more rural, but I'm not living in The Sticks.
    Up the I-85 Corridor, there's a TON to do. The Buford Mall area is huge, and has about everything you need.
    I live in Jefferson, Population 9,000. It's country--the people, the trucks, the hunting. I LOVE it.
    20 minutes East is Athens, home of University of Georgia. Kick-ass college town. 20 minutes West is Gainesville, a fairly large city with just about anything you'd need in it.
    20 minutes South on I-85 is the Mall of Georgia area, which is huge and thriving.
    20 minutes North is Commerce--again, just about everything you need.

This 20-mile section of I-85 also has Road Atlanta, Winder-Barrow speedway, Gresham Motorsports Park, and the Atlanta Dragway.
    There's plenty of cruises around, and of course I do the NE Georgia Swap Meet once a month at the dragstrip.

-Brad

5. Where will you be working? Drive time/commute can be difficult to absolutely nightmarish if you don't plan well.

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I will commute to the Airport once a week. And mostly at oddball times of a day or night.

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Sounds like a great place.. Looking around Cumming and found some cool homes in Doraville? The boys have quarter midgets and looks like a QMA track in Cumming. What a name for a town. The Northside looks like where we will end up. I like a small town feel. Looking forward to it

8. elba

elba

As others have said, stay away from the South side. Go up 85 or or 400. Lots of car stuff to get involved in. Good luck.

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

There was talk a few years ago about changing the name of Alpharetta to "Panting."
    The idea being if you're that close to Cumming...

When we moved to Georgia, we had to immediately eliminate Cumming from the list.
    We'd have been the Cumming Ococks, and that just wasn't gonna work...

-Brad Ocock

10. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

two social groups to peruse :

Georgia HAMBers

The S.F.C.C. guys HOTRODPRIMER mentioned.

also, contact Ether, I think he has some job down at the airport(but I can't swear to it)... and dirty old man here on the forum, retired from a job down there. They may have some tips for you.

Good luck.

-W

car related stuff around Atlanta

11. I live in West Cobb County /Marietta and love the area. Lots of history and cool old buildings. Used to go to the airport frequently and 75 to 285 was usually smooth.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another yayhoo's advice here. But, lived in and around Atlanta for 30 years, so take it for what it's worth . . .

Just about my favorite part of the world, just about ruined by traffic. And what is it about the "south side" that sucks? Mostly the drive to get down there. Notwithstanding the obvious socioeconomic stuff, i.e. real estate values are generally higher on the north side, etc.

My stomping grounds were Chamblee/Doraville, Marietta/Smyrna, Buckhead/Brookhaven, Sandy Springs/Roswell/Crabapple, all on the north side. But there is beautiful country in Fayette, Coweta, and Spalding Counties, et. al. And some great little communities down there. Is it great malls you want, or quality of life?

Of course, it becomes something of a Catch-22. If most of your friends and family are on the north side, then that's where you want to be (to avoid the miserable traffic).

There it is, you asked. Don't be scared of the south side. From an ex-Atlanta Hamber.

13. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I'm a bit taken aback by all the south side negativity too, granted, there's not much going on here socially. Been here almost 20 years, that north side traffic is a deal breaker for me. If you work at the airport, Peachtree City is nice.

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Looking at homes around 240-250 range. I like the old stuff, not a fan of subdivisions. This is kinda what I found in the Dorville area. Someone said Northeast side is a good place. Drag strip and swap meets? Anyway thanks for the info. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386123357.586759.jpg

15. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Doraville is dekalb county and for the love of hot rods stay away from dekalb!! Watch the Atlanta news and you'll see why! Stay outside the perimeter. No Fulton county also!
    Atlanta dragstrip is in Commerce... Cumming O'cock... Has a swap there once a month.
    Paradise dragstrip in Calhoun has been there since 61 and has several good shows a year and a weekend race program.

16. StrickV8

StrickV8

I personally like the Marietta area.

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Actually, it's a GREAT idea to check out what taxes are in the counties you're looking at (as well as the cities, too, obviously), and other things like having to have vehicles smog-checked. That won't apply to your hot rod, but it does apply to your daily, and it's a pain if you want to modify it.
    If you've got kids, or are planning on having kids, pay attention to the school districts too. A bunch of districts in the near-Atlanta area have made national news for losing accreditation and in other systems teachers and administrators are doing jail time for a huge testing cheating scandal.

I suggest getting a subscription to the Atlanta Journal Constitution and have it mailed to your house every day so you can keep up on local news and events while making your decision. The news will be a few days behind when you get it, but it'll give you a real good overview of things.

As someone else said, outside the perimeter is a good bet.

I LOVE Georgia... I grew up in Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio, lived in Floriduh for 7 years, and Georgia for the last 10... I won't ever leave this state.

-Brad

18. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Read it online and I don't know why you say say away from southside.Lived there since 1960.Can't stand north side traffic.But to each is on

19. captmullette

captmullette

x's 2 what brad said.........

20. Also, look into the school systems if you have kids- it makes a BIG difference.

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The only reason I suggested getting it delivered is because he'd probably be more likely to read it every day for a length of time, while on-line seems to be hit-and-miss, and a reader doesn't read every story.

-Brad

22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

My shop is in Doraville. There are some nice old neighborhoods between here and Northlake. I don't know about specific local schools but DeKalb schools in general do have some issues. The area is pretty centrally located so its not real difficult to get anywhere but you gotta pick your times wisely.

23. I like Cumming. We have a Cumming First Baptist Church which is nice. Rumored that they are building a Dick's up in Cumming also. I moved here after telling my ex-wife I was going somewhere she could not get to.

24. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Seems like the traffic is crap down there? How's Merietta area? Found a cool fixer upper. Trying to decide what areas to hit. You guys been a huge help. Taking notes! Thanks

25. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

I'm in Marietta and love it. Close enough to everything I need/want but far enough away. You can take a look at the Woodstock area to, lots of neighborhoods that are car friendly. My personal preference is Cobb County. Cherokee County might have a good mix for you.

Traffic can be bad, but you learn the patterns pretty quick. I'm near 75-575 split and can get to the airport w/out trouble, 35mins or so non-rush hour.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  26. Cartersville is good. North of Atlanta, lot of hot rod stuff, close to the mountains

27. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Don't leave out the east side. Walton, Barrow, Oconee Counties

28. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

it all depends on where you'll be working, live close to work, traffic is horrible. avoid the connector 75/85 in the city at all costs. it's a very car dependent city. but there are a lot of good pockets to live and a lot of great car guys. commuting on the south side is definitely easier than the north side.

29. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

hahaha, i hear it's the next best place to Climax, NC

30. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

As for cruises Summit has them every Monday evening in summer time along with shows off and on