Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ATF in Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeoH, Oct 31, 2015.

1. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Well, what else happens when you have a non-running vehicle you're not sure the engine seized or not? You put in this or that, ATF and acetone in my case, let it sit and then try to turn the pistons.

I was in the process of reinstalling the head and new gasket when I pulled the rags I had in the carb manifold on a flathead Six (this should apply to any motor where someone does a pre-soak of the cylinders before turning) and noticed red fluid on them. ???? After a few seconds it came to me, it is ATF from my cylinder soak when I first got the truck a month ago.

I sucked up most of it, about 1/2 c - 3/4c probably, there is still more likely in there in some places I can't get to from the carb manifold.

Also, this truck has a vacuum switch for a 2 speed rear axle and there is vacuum plumbing off the one intake manifold, I'm not sure how much got into that plumbing. If any.

What is the next step? I have to say, in all the threads and anecdotes about someone doing this or that to the cylinders to be sure they weren't stuck, I can't ever remember someone saying what they did with whatever fluid they put in their cylinders.

On the positive side, clearly, I have good rings and compression as likely none of this made it into the oil pan when I drained that!

2. It's going to smoke like hell for a few mins, but will be fine. May be hard to start.
    What ever went into the vac lines will be drawn back.

LeoH likes this.
  3. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Thank you. Back into it I go....