Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ATF/Acetone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I know it's a long shot but does anyone know who came up with the ATF/Acetone combo? Whoever it was should have a holiday named after him. I've been using it for quite some time and always recommend it, especially to those who I see looking at Liquid Wrench and other such stuff. The only other stuff that has impressed me is Moovit produced here in Canada.

2. In about 1982, my brother bought a little Morris Minor and we dragged it to his place with my old pickup. Tried to start it to find the engine was stuck. Previous owner said he drove the car 2 years earlier so we knew it wasn't too stuck. I was gonna put some ATF in the spark plugs holes but it seemed so thick. I mixed the ATF with some lacquer thinner or acetone to make it thinner...to get past the rings.
    Next day we put the car in gear and rocked it back and forth...engine came loose and ran. I ended up with the car and drove it for a few months.. Didn't seem to use any oil.
    I don't remember telling anybody about it except my brother so it certainly wasn't me that made it "famous" but it worked for me.

Oldioron likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

I know my son uses it on all his seized flatheads and I'm sure he got the info off the HAMB.

4. crossthread

crossthread

I first read about using Ford type F or A trans fluid with acetone in popular mechanic , I seen to remember a segment called Gus the Mechanic, anyway I have used it on stuck engines but mostly old bronze bushed machinery. I have found it works with MSO or charcoal lighter also.

5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of that trick. Do you a an ATF to acetone ratio you've found works best?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. BJR

BJR

50 50 ratio.

ol'stinky likes this.
  7. crossthread

crossthread

I use a half and half mix with the ATF acetone blend for rings and such. I use a little less acetone in the MSO blend to soak bushings ,old outboards mostly. fill up crank case and let set. I forgot to say if you use acetone mix it may become dirty but will still be a fire hazard watch out for welding or smokers in shop.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Here's a link to the complete Gus archives, 1925-1970; just go ahead and find that for us if you can. Thanks!

http://gus-stories.org/index.htm

ClayMart and kadillackid like this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Shouldn't there an International Car Wrencher Day to honour this unknown benefactor!

10. BJR

BJR

It was printed in an issue of Hot Rod mag in a comparison test with all the usual penetrating oils on the market. Don't know what year or issue though. Acetone ATF mix won.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Also saw a comparison test in Home Machinist. Beat everything hands down.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

With acetone being highly volatile, I'm assuming you need to keep the mixture in an airtight container between uses????????

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I found it's best to mix up smaller batches. It "spoils" and starts to smell like varnish or paint after a while.

14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Truck64, post: 13040469, member: 274442] "Here's a link to the complete Gus archives, 1925-1970"

I read some of these as a kid and who knows? May have fueled the fire in me for auto repair.
    Thank you very much for the link. You really made my day - or maybe the month it'll take me to read them all.

BTW, HAMBers, if you don't know about Gus and the Model Garage, you should. They're always a good read, always include a moral, and every episode teaches you a new auto repair trick.
    Thanks again Truck 64. We're all in your debt. Lucas

Truck64 likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Not sure where I picked that site up, most likely here. So thank the H.A.M.B

16. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah...I found them here after Ryan did a segment on them. They are in my bookmarks and are a fun read on a rainy day.

Truck64 likes this.
  17. bct

bct

Will it eat those spray bottles. like the wd40 type bulk sprayers? Anyone have any luck spraying it in general?

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This is good stuff , there used to be a product call StrongArm , it was the best for aluminum seized parts . My Buddy found a 28 model Harley Engine some one made a rototiller out of and it set outside for years . We purchased some of the StrongArm and removed every fastener not breaking one . It freed up the stuck pistons and valve train also . It set in my Buddy’s garage for years he traded it for a running Knuckle engine . That I wish I had today .

19. gatz

gatz

bct likes this.