Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects At the towing auction today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NWRustyJunk, Apr 20, 2017.

1. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

So, being off on Thursdays allows me to go to one of the towing auctions in Portland. Usually these things are full of a bunch of Hondas and junk like that. At today's, low and behold, was a 51 Chevy four door sedan. Looks like it has been sitting someplace a long long time. The last tab on the plate was from '89. I was expecting it to go for at least a few hundred......it's rusty, but 100% complete and has a lot of good parts. Time comes for it to be bid on....nothing...silence...auctioneer throws out a "anyone want it for $100" So....long story short....I'm now the proud owner of a 1951 Chevrolet four door sedan. Coolest part of the whole deal is that it was a donated vehicle, so it came with the original title, key and owner's manual. Also, had a portfolio of service records from when it was new well into the late 60s. I really don't know what in the hell I'm going to do with it, but I couldn't sit back and watch it get sold to a scrapper for $50. I guess I'm just a hoarder at heart. lol 17952564_10208970899493675_113692050473106553_n.jpg 18056968_10208970899293670_8706560769715665991_n.jpg

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Gotta be worth a C note, I've bought quite a few parts cars there.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

From the looks of the hood and grill, it was probably nosed under a tree for a long time.
    Still worth $100, you could part it out and make some off of it I'm sure, even if it took a while.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Ive been known to do the same. Bought a 53 ford at an auction for $180.

6. Can't go wrong at that price

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've spent more on less. Good save

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

many say "just going to look" - clean it up a bit , see if it can try to start - put up For Sale as is - at least can double your money with little effort

9. 36roadster

36roadster

Excellent save- at least it wont come back as 7 mazdas, because what we need right now are more Mazdas.

Truckdoctor Andy and clem like this.
  10. k9racer

k9racer

If you want to sell parts check in the wanted section a guy is looking for parts for a 50 chev. You cant not go wrong for what you paid . Last if you don't repair the car or sell in local put a add in Hemmings for a parts car and you will come close to tripling your investment..

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I think everyone is too quick to grab the torch and part out 40's and 50's cars. It kills me when I see guys on the HAMB and elsewhere parting out 60+ year old cars. Sure it may be worth more in parts, but when did we become auto dismantlers? Maybe cheap, old, complete cars are plentiful elsewhere. I sure don't see it in SoCal...
    Even though this is a lowly 4 door, I'd try to get it up and running (as a challenge), title it and sell it as a project car. The car is titled, relatively complete, comes with some old documentation and may be a one or two owner car.
    We keep reading/saying we have a tough time getting new folks into old cars because of the costs. Old 4 doors are a good entry level vehicle. A family man with a couple of kids and tight budget could start with this and with parts costs and his own labor be driving it to cruise night in primer.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Pffftt... Looks like a good candidate for the More-Door thread, esp after it's been cleaned up, fixed up, n prettied up. I'm sure you'll become at the very least, a (proud) closet member/supporter of the More-Door Contingent. You've already taken the 1st step: Acquisition. Which has manifested from the deep latent hidden desires. No point in turning back now!

:D .

Marcus...

clem likes this.
  13. Clean it up and get it running for either your enjoyment,,,
    Or start a trend and look for some young person that really want's to be a hot rodder and give it to them.
    Yes give it to them,,, really. But be willing to help them along.
    You would be out a C note and some time, but you would give a start to the future.

clem likes this.
  14. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

See my avatar? That was a great summer project, mostly funded by recycling scrap from construction sites. My kids still talk about it. Last registered in '73 in Washington State. Drove it until the radiator gave out, couldn't afford a new one, so we sold it for the cash I'd put in.

15. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Its really hard for me to knock one in the head. I'm going to put some tires and wheels on it and get it rolling. Put some lube down the cylinders and see if it will crank over. From the front seat back it isn't that badly rusted with the exception of right above the drivers side rear tire. The cowl in front of the windshield is shot though. Looks like it sat with a bunch of leaves or pine needles piled on it until it rotted through. In the absolute least, it will make good yard art.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I've gotta agree with you. Unless the car has no title, you can't get one for it, or it's just too far gone to be saved, it's a shame to cut it up even if it's a 4 dr 6 cyl 3 speed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice save! a "Styleline Special" with no trim above the beltline, no trim on the body sides and rubber "mud guards" on the quarters. there is $3,000.00 worth of parts there if you don't mind doing 250 listings on ebay. been there, done that. I did one that was way too rusty to fix, way worse than that . no floors, trunk floor and there was no bottoms at all on the doors. the sad part was the body was cherry and the door gaps were incredible. never wrecked, just rusted to shit. :(

18. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Got the trunk open. Trunk and spare tire well are very nice. Looks like it has all the pieces to the original jack too. Spare tire still had the grease pencil marks on it from buying at a used tire shop. (When's the last time a used tire place had wide whites in stock? Lol) Also had a 1959 Oregonian newspaper in the back seat. I love all these little treasures you find in old cars. IMG_20170421_125353014.jpg IMG_20170421_124535870.jpg IMG_20170421_124310602.jpg

scrubby2009 likes this.
  19. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey Sept 20th, that's my anniversary. Being a 51 and 52 owner, I know you have parts there that are selling all the time on that auction sight. The stainless trim and headlight rings, radio grill, clock, glove box door, door garnish moldings and on and on...

20. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Dang it, love those treasures you find in old cars. When I opened the locked glove box in the '51 Fleetline I found old receipts for the rebuilt 216 and old tools, SK wrench... light came on too. Glove box light, locked since the '70's, came on when reopened in 2013. Have fun, brother.

NWRustyJunk likes this.