Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods At least 7 hot rods stolen in Mn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jul 22, 2016.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

GPS child trackers are cheap, portable and can be set up with geofences so if the car moves out of a certain area an alert is set off...

2. You would hope, but it costs to run the equipment and archive the tapes. I'm sure more than a few cameras you se around are not working.

3. When we traveled with the stock cars, someone always stayed outside with the rig. Usually the youngest or newest guy on the crew. You really don't get that deep a sleep on the back seat of a C30 crew cab.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

When is someone going to post a list of the other 7 missing cars? How are we supposed to keep an eye out for them when we don't know what they are?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've searched a couple of times for the info and haven't found it.
    I did find that between the 12th and 16th there were 38 vehicles reported stolen and for the year of 2016 so far there have been 996 vehicles reported stolen in Minneapolis.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. blazedogs

blazedogs

7. blazedogs

blazedogs

Haven't heard anything more on the thefts here in Mn. Not real fond of the newsmedia here....One of you posted a good possibility. A inclosed trailer with a winch inside.. Gene

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If the car has a locking steering column, drive into the parking spot head first and turn the wheels all the way to the right of left and lock the column. this might provide some determent.

9. My '01 Silverado 4x4 has a flashing light on the dash when the security system is engaged. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but if you don't want to install a full security system on your ride, there is a kit you can buy that just has a flashing LED(?) meant to give the appearance of a security system. It's the equivalent to those home detection monitoring signs & window stickers on homes that don't actually have a security system.

10. I have a friend who is 5 shops down the alley from Ken. One of my friend's employees left work by bicycle at 3:45 that day and rode up the alley past the '32; all was well. At 4:00pm when Ken's people walked out the door the '32 was gone, not even a sound. The alley is barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass each other. It's a sad commentary on the society we live in now. Perhaps we should reinstate lynching for cattle rustlers.

wicarnut likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On that roadster you would think someone in the area who saw the car on a regular basis would take notice if it was towed away by a repo rig.
    The trouble with being at big event and having a rig stolen is once they are going down the street a block from where they were stolen they rather fade into the masses of vehicles in town that weekend as far as the locals who are out in the middle of the night on their normal local rounds.

I still like the hidden GPS cell phone with a spare battery that is set up so it doesn't feed back to the main electrical system. That means a diode in the charging line. A few bucks a month on your phone bill but I've seen how the tracking works with my daughter's phone when she forgot it in a grocery cart and a kid found it and took it home. I had to throw a fit to get the local cop to go check on it at the house the gps said it was in but a few minutes after he talked to the home owner my daughter set the squealer alarm off on the phone an 30 minutes after that the grocery store called to say someone had found the phone and turned it in. The GPS was damned accurate.

12. fuzzface

fuzzface

My wife used to shake her head when I used to do this but now she understands. I always have my cell phone turned off. hey, it is for me to make emergency calls not socialize all day long with people that don't care about me trying to enjoy life or making a living.

anyways whenever I stop at a restaurant, I turn it on and throw it under the seat, under the spare tire, etc just depends where on whichever vehicle we had that day. that way if it got driven or dragged of, I can track where it moves and being the phone was off all day, it has plenty of life in it before the battery goes dead.

My nephew has marriage problems and couldn't figure out how his wife was finding out where he is all the time. We all thought he was being followed by one of her friends or detective or something. Found out when she forgot her cell phone one day and he looked at it. Found out she was tracking him 2 ways. 1 was she had a tracker following his cell phone on her phone and she also had the company vehicle being tracked. we searched the vehicle and found a laptop that didn't belong to us. here she was using that. we figure seeing he took the vehicle home at night she would charge it up when he was sleeping and put it back in before he got up or had an extra set of batteries for it that she changed ot at night.

Just saw on the news where a guy had his off topic car stolen in front of his house in the city. Fortunately he had a security system in his house and he has a camera pointed out to the street where he parks his car. has it all on tape. car was locked up but the thief only took seconds to unlock it and get it started and drive off. He couldn't believe how fast they were Camera on second floor at the right angle got the license number of the accomplishes vehicle. Had his car back within 24 hours. 6 blocks away is all the farther the thief lived from him.

Basicly I have the same thing set up at my place. I have a home security system and have a camera mounted that you can't see and the way my driveway wraps around my house to get to my shop, I get all 4 sides of the vehicles including plate number on my setup. I get the front and passenger side as you pull in and get your rearend and driver's side pulling out. Should have seen some of my friends reactions when I ask them what they wanted when they came over and I wasn't home. :)

My dad wanted me to build my shop down by the road on the empty lot next door. Nope, I removed the hill behind me and made it only one way in or out, pass the house mainly for security reasons. He understands now but originally he thought I was nuts when I told him I was moving that hill. also the way I have my sheds laid out, I have a big area behind the sheds for extra parking or hiding parts cars, scrap , etc that isn't visible from the road. even when I built another toybox out back to store the projects inside, the neighbor asked me when I was going to build it and I told him I built it a few years ago. it tucks in so nicely behind the big sheds, he never knew it and he lives next door.

Yes, security on the road is bad but I rarely travel that far anymore in my old cars. I keep them fairly close to home where I can control the security on them better at night. You would think with todays technology that car thiefs would be down but it sure seems to be the opposite lately. Maybe with today's technology it is easier to move them or part them out fast?

bobss396 likes this.
  13. Lroy

Lroy

I was at a hotel in Alabama a few years ago. I heard someone outside around 3 am. It was the security guard rifling through cars that were unlocked. Basically,you can't trust no one.I like the GPS tracking devices....worth every penny.

14. We've got a solid week in now. Still no list of what was stolen. Kind of hard to help in the recovery effort with no clue of what was taken.