Register now to get rid of these ads!

Astro Supremes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model-A-Bomb, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Hey guys I have a 65 Buick Wildcat convertible mild custom, I changed the original aluminum finned drums to the steel finned drums to avoid warping. I am looking into buying a set of Astro Supremes to put on the car, my question is How does the wheel sit flat against the drum when the drum is riveted to the hub? Maybe someone has already experienced this and can shed some light. Thanks Guys!

2. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

To me it seems that the wheel would be sitting on the head of the rivets not on the drum like its supposed to

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

Take the rivets out, counter sink the hole, tap for a beveled allen head

4. squirrel

squirrel

Or just grind the rivet heads off. Pretty common on old Chevys too. I'm assuming something besides the rivets is holding the drum to the hub, like the wheel studs, or perhaps the drum is sandwiched between the hub and wheel like it is on a Chevy

5. bb1970

bb1970

Put a 1/4" wheel spacer on. One that has several holes like this.
    [​IMG]

6. oldolds

oldolds

Don't know about Astro's, but some wheels have spaces for the rivit to go. Imagine the back of the wheel looking like the spacer above.

7. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

I was trying to go without a wheel spacer but BISHOP Thats a great idea! I didn't even think about that! and if not squirrel I will use your advice I thought I could use grind the rivets off and just use the wheel studs to hold it all together, once it's all torqued on its not going anywhere. Once again the power of the HAMB pulls through thanks all!

8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Ottawa curiosity what kind did you get? I just received mine from AWC and they are really well built but I have not mounted tired on them. I want to see how well they balance when I do.

Lumpy

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

I actually didn't get Astro Supremes per say. I got the Pacer 177C's because its identical to the astro but a little cheaper but I'm a college kid on a budget so I went with what I could afford hahaha same look with a cheaper price tag works for me!

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Astro Supremes, weren't they a Motown group?

11. like he said... i used the thin spacer on mine . and left drum alone.

heres mine.
    ak

Attached Files:

12. EAJ-400

EAJ-400
    from Buffalo

When I changed the wheels on the 57, I was breaking lug nuts off. I ground the heads smooth on the rivets and haven't had a problem since,

13. May Pop

May Pop

A divit for the rivit?

14. squirrel

squirrel

That would work too...but getting rid of the rivet heads fixes the problem for the next set of wheels you put on the car, too.