Register now to get rid of these ads!

Assembly Lube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Mar 18, 2010.

1. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm going to assemble my first engine ever next week and am wondering what y'all use for your assembly lubes. Not all lubes are created equal, and I'd like to show my engine the love she deserves for the first time I turn the switch.

2. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

lubriplate, and use rotella oil for break in.

3. nobillet

nobillet
    from minnesota

ive had good luck with the permatex lube you want something thick that will stick to cam lobes ect. without flinging off right away

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What kind of cam, roller or flat tappet?

5. racer756

racer756

6. RAY With

RAY With

I like a little 30 wt. oil mixed with a little STP. I coat the bearings and cylinder walls and put a good coat on the rings and pistons. This seems to give a good long lasting coating on every thing. I use cam lube on the cam lobes and bottom of lifters. It all last a long time in the event you dont immediately install the motor.

7. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Rollers. I'm going to put together a flat tappet engine in about a month. Should I use different lubes for the two?

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I think the most important difference is making sure to use a non-synthetic oil for flat tappet cam break-in (preferably special break-in oil with additives). Also, if you aren't planning to start your flat tappet engine for some months, then during assembly you might want to use a moly-paste on the cam lobes and lifter faces for adhesion.

I don't have great luck using the search function but I know there's numerous other threads on the HAMB concerning this topic.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  9. Apollo Gran Turismo

Apollo Gran Turismo

Red Line Oil 80312 Assembly Lube Jegs and Summit both carry it

Attached Files:

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I wouldn't put lubriplate inside an engine.

11. derpr

derpr

lubriplate. period

12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm surprised no one took the opportunity to say KY jelly is the lube of choice.

13. VonHertell

VonHertell

Redline assembly lube on all my motorcycle motors

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am using the Red Line assembly lube for the flat tap cam assembly and Rotella oil for break in .
    After break in I am using Ansoil with ZDDP for the flat tap and a K&N oil filter . I also use anti-seize on all the bolts and also use the Blue or Red thread locker on the connecting rod nuts .
    You won't had $15 in all the assembly lube , thread locker and anti-seize on the outer bolts . Worth ever penny !
    Just my opinion on my engine builds !

RetroJim

15. krooser

krooser

Over the last 47 years I've used everything from 30W oil to Lubriplate to GM's EOS. I like the old EOS because it has lots of ZDDP... but I've never had any issues with excessive wear from any of the products I've used. Use plenty of whatever you use...

DO use a cam lube on the lobes...