Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Assembling Brookville Roadster/ 40s style Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nick Agius, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Good to hear! Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  2. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

It sure is!
    I bought it from a guy called road dog in Northern California when I was there about 4 yrs ago now.

It’s such a nice one

Ed hardenburgh, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Figured I should post some progress as to where things are at.
    Between working a 50 hour week, trying to sort some landscaping around our property and just genuinely being busy it’s been a bit hard to get much done.
    But still making progress, good friends from a local car club made me an engine turned insert for my dash so I’ve been able to get that all drilled painted and in the car.

We’ve started going through the engine which was a good runner my friend johns had for over 20 years, I traded a late model Harley motor for the flathead and Johns been a great help.

Everything in my diff was toast from sitting out in the rain for years so I’ve ordered some new 3:54 gears for it,and should see them in the next week. And I’ve been able to sort a tailshaft for the car. Finding one of those in Australia was harder than I anticipated.

Also scored a old chrome steering arm to!

Anyway, Wheels are still turning. Hope to have the engine buttoned up & painted this Monday

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

cactus1, RICH B, wheeldog57 and 6 others like this.
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Nick great to hear from you again. We are using the same steering wheel. Yours looks better. LOL. Dash looks really good.

jim

loudbang likes this.
  5. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks Jim! Do you still need those measurements?
    Dm me if you do!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, here's the $64 question. Now that you have it together, was the difference in price worth the hassle of doing it yourself? Throw out the experience building part of it.

I built my own boxed 32 frame for my A coupe. I will never do that again. I'll pay someone to do it.

7. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

I gotta be honest, It really wasn't. But by the time i got a body assembled, in Australia, then shipped to me probably would have cost me another $5000.. and i dont have that sort of money, so it was really the only option.
    Its done now.

RICH B, Stogy, banjeaux bob and 3 others like this.
  8. mkebaird

mkebaird

Sounds to me like it was worth the hassle since that's the only way it was going to happen. Congrats on your build, 29 is my favorite roadster.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Yeah, Exactly right. If i had endless amounts of money it'd be a different story

10. Kajewski

Kajewski

Looks amazing Nick! Cant wait to see it cruising around.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thank you mate, Likewise!!

loudbang and Asphalt Demon like this.
  12. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

hfh, RICH B, nunattax and 12 others like this.
  13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Looks Great Nick .Great inspiration.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Ive been making progress,
    In the past few weeks ive finished repairing the column drop, Got the dash in for good, wired the car installed some new ball joints in my steering arms, Got the engine painted and scored some original sharp heads from my friend john to use on this motor.
    Car is now up at his place to be finished over the next few months.

brEad, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  15. 51box

51box
    from MA

Nice job man, looks great

16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Dude, your car looks great! Black and very straight, outstanding job on fitment and bodywork.
    The satisfaction of driving something that you put together from pieces will be excellent. Go man, go!

loudbang, Nick Agius and 48fordnut like this.
  17. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks!

Looking forward to it very much

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  18. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Managed to get the engine & transmission together this monday.
    Engine was a tighter fit then expected. The alloy heads hit the firewall, manifold just rubs on it also few little bits and peices to sort/ beat out.

Hoping to make a bit more progress next monday, Till then were trying to come up with a solution to run that fan w/ generator offset bracket. IMG_1389.jpg IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1391.jpg IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1394.jpg

19. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

John Clearanced the firewall for the heads and manifold. Took a little longer than he expected but it came out pretty great! When we set the engine up in this frame originally it just had stock heads on it hence the clearance issue now..

Found a cracked valve guide so that’s been replaced & I also got my old chrome generator back from the rebuilder, whilst looking for head studs we found an old chrome generator I’m going to try make work. stoked! IMG_1458.JPG [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

21. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Heads, headers, manifold and carbs are on. Had to run two sets of head gaskets as the old sharp heads have been milled a few to many times!
    Generator looks great on there too, re drilled the hole for the clutch pushrod and got that all functioning.

My mate Titties formally known as frittatas was at Nambour swap meet last week and found some old chrome roof Bowes supposedly off a studebaker that he bought as a gift for my birthday, (which happens to be in April)

You can see how close they are on his roadster, well make them work for mine. He’s got a friend doing the timbers up at the moment which is a huge relief. Roof Bowes have turned out to be extremely hard to find in Australia.

I’ve also had my old panhead in a million pieces trying to do some maintenance that’s been overdue for about three years..between that, working a 50 hr week, fixing an old Mercedes,organising a bike show, anniversaries and a new puppy things have been busy

Life’s good none the less

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_2302.jpeg IMG_2309.jpeg IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1581.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app View attachment 4373215

22. Excellent progress, really coming along and looking good!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks so much!

Really looking forward to having it done & on the road

Stogy, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  24. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Few things happened yesterday, JP had the floors fitted up and pedals now cleared the block nicely. And look good with the pedal pads on there,
    I got to sit in the car with floor and pedals properly for the first time. Felt really good, a good fit for me..

JP also found some more old chrome, in the way of this pitman arm.

I should probably mention a lot of this old chrome came off johns 32 roadster, Originally built by Another gent named John Anderson, who I believe went missing in cyclone Tracy in 1974. JP rebuilt the car from bits around 2012 from memory. He’s drives it cross country meeting up with old girlfriends along the way. Pretty damn cool

Anything old chrome John finds when we’re digging through parts he whips out and he’ll trade for whatever I’ve got in my car at the time.

I’ve been super lucky to have a heap of people get behind me on this car and really hook me up with good parts or bust there balls to help me with stuff way out of my league to me that’s the most special part, something I’ll always remember.

Here’s a few photos of Johns car back in what I think is 1967? Today and a few progress pics of my roadster IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1871.JPG IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1878.JPG

25. CadMad

CadMad

You are doing it justice. Are you in Brisbane..?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks
    Gold Coast, Quintin hall?
    Believe we spoke on instagram about having you make me a windscreen frame before you went to the US..
    I found an original BTW.

loudbang likes this.
  27. CadMad

CadMad

Yeah I realised who. I just had it in my mind that you were in NSW. Soon as I saw JPs car I twigged. You drive past my place to get to his place. I’ll have to come and take a look. Have to steel out a mate’s 28 roadster shortly.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Ah right!

Yes definitely, Im sure ill see you at the beat up in the coming weeks.
    Take care

loudbang likes this.
  29. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

IMG_2503.jpg Im not sure if anyone bothers to read this but i guess it makes me feel better about the progress thats being made, Which really isn't a great deal of late.

I just finished organising my first indoor chopper show and it was really a pretty great success. We had over 30 pretty perfect pre 1970 choppers from all around Australia stacked into a little hall that was built originally in 1880, Everyone had a great time, We partied to hard sold all the beer & t shirts and went home.

Also finished a bit of a garden around our backyard. Pretty stoked

In between all of this John and i have been able to get a few things done, Front brake lines are in the front half off the car hooked up to the master just waiting to finish up the rear end get that back in the car & then that half of the lines can go on. Also finished up the brake push rod & clutch linkage, And my new linkage kit from stromberg arrived. These things are super nice.

Yesterday we went out to an old wrecking yard had been going to for years. Which is basically shut up now, They had one fuel tank left and it just happened to be perfect. This sort of luck would only happens when working with John. The bearings have now arrived to put my chrome 33 diff ack together, So that's the next thing on the agenda.

Also this weekend saw 20 yrs of the Barons Moto club in Australia, And they had there beat up which is always a great time & nice catching up with good people.

Big Matty Fink took out both Barons & Parallels pick for the show,His car is beautiful and a true testament to the work he does. He would no doubt hate me for posting this photo but fuck him anyway

The goal for this car as of late was to have it done for the 2nd Gold Coast Reliability Run, Doesn't look like its going to happen now but My lady & i have booked our Christmas holidays camping down by the beach under the premise that the roadsters done & were taking that, So that's the next goal i guess.
    IMG_2145.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2394.jpg IMG_2395.jpg IMG_2401.jpg IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2509.JPG IMG_2510.JPG IMG_2454.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Multi tasking. great pics.Congratulations on the Show. Beautiful setting.

Thanks for sharing.

jim