Register now to get rid of these ads!

asethetic questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Jun 14, 2008.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Ok I have had this 51 1/2 ton for a while now...
    It's my daily driver... currently it is lowered 6 inches in the front and 4 in the rear... I have this old farm bumper on there...
    I have started body work this summer...
    the truck will be flat black with blue rims and interior as a temp til I can afford a decent paint job...
    so... grille should I paint it white, blue or polish and clear coat it?
    and for the bumper should I keep it or find something a bit more interesting and daring? I am open to ideas... I can score a 57 chevy rear bumper or front pretty cheap...
    I just painted the farm bumper white and I kinda like it, but I am looking for opinions form people with taste...
    [​IMG]

2. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I'd leave it the way it is- I think it looks awesome...but then, I'm not someone with taste.:D

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

man, 99.9% of the cars on this site are just sick...
    so I tend to trust the opinions of the members

4. Mattilac

Mattilac

Sorry, no opinions, but I really think your truck looks oh-so-sweet.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think a stock blade front bumper would be better than the one on it. and chrome if you intend to do a shiny paint job. I love those trucks. My grandfather taught me how to drive in his '52 so i've got a real soft spot for them.

Frank

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'd choose it's current colors 1000 times over instead of painting it flat black.

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

I'd get a new front bumper, but other that that I think it looks damn sweet as is. Really like the color.

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm with the rest of the guys....

Leave the painnt as is.

repaint the rims gloss black, polish the wheel covers

put a stock bumper on it

9. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

the stock paint is a latex house paint, in a effort to get the dents out, I have to strip it...it is some nasty thick stuff with brush strokes in it, the farmer who did it preserved it well

10. That is kind of a cool old timey colour. Maybe get some paint matched to it and paint it as you do the repairs.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like the color scheme. I works well on an old truck. It's got a lot of charecter. I wouldn't go with flat black, unless I had intentions of painting it later on. Keep it simple and it will be cool in it's own right..

12. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I agree with the others, the colors look great. Flat black is way over done, IMO.

13. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I do intend to paint it proper at a later date...
    either gloss or satin...

14. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I think the front bumper is pretty daring and different already, maybe add a straight bar the length of the bumber like the old style car bumper gaurds.I do agree the paint is great period looking truck colors.I took another look and did not see the other bars the first time,maybe remove the top bar and move the other side bars down inline with the other one.What ever you do still a sweat truck

15. leave the truck alone and get another front bumper.. nice truck BTW dude!

16. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I wouldn't paint it flat black. That truck looks sweet as is. I would go with a stock bumper. The one you have on it is OK but IMHO it doesn't go with the truck.

48 Poncho

17. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I do intend to do a resto on this truck...
    I have a 235 in there and I'd like to go fenton and offy combo... I have been studying mccullough superchargers as well...
    I would like a t-5 for driveability
    and I really would like to two tone it, grey and black is what I am leaning towards for the finished product...the black primer will be as I do the body work, it's cheap and I still have to get to work with it on a monday

18. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

well, now it gets interesting. I went to the bar Saturday night and took the old truck out. It drove better with the 100+ pound bumper off of it.
    The stock blade might be the answer. I noticed a definite difference in ride quality and handling.

19. Ralph

Ralph

I'm with the rest of the herd on the two-tone. Anything BUT flat black! That bumper would be good for putting the"fear" into cars around you, and practical for nudgin' stuff out of the way, but yeah, a stock blade would probably look better.
    Ralph

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

The bumper in push guard form does keep people from cutting me off when I am driving in traffic. It's currently white as that made it stand out really well.. but it is seriously over 100 pounds... My rear bumper is a piece of angle iron...when I was rear ended by a honda suv driving cell phone demon of a soccer mom, it tore off the front of her honda while leaving nary a scratch on my beloved 51... I am really torn, the big bumper is functional and the blade seems to provide a better ride and better looks... And I SWEAR on my honor the flat black is a temporary fix til I can afford a nice proper paint job...this truck will be two tone of some kind...I have even been considering some metal flake or something really interesting...

22. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Pics to follow on this one... I just stripped all the paint off my grill and then clear coated it... I kinda like it... it's not chrome but it's not painted...it has a brushed aluminum feel

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I was all ready to pitch in with some great ideas till I saw the solicitation was limited to people "with taste". I'll hold back till somebody less picayunish asks a question.

"how high's the water, Mama?"

dj

24. I'd throw the bumper far, far away.

25. thing about your truck is whatever you do it will always be a AD truck and i like em.

26. newstranger

newstranger

86 the Clay Smith stickers, get a regular bumper, lose the baby moons, and get some big-ass white-walls! Then drive the shit out of it!

-ns

27. newstranger

newstranger

Oh, I just read some more of your posts... you should get a regular back bumper too, although it's not nearly as important as removing that football helmet looking front bumper doo-hickey!

-ns

28. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

1955 cadillac bumper. Trust me............:D

29. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

propwash, I'd like to hear your suggestions...
    I am pretty sure the farm bumper is going, it made the truck ride like crap...
    55 caddy bumper eh? wanna photochop that one?
    the clay smith stickers are now gone, I am strippin the paint off the truck, but I am keeping my naked raygun sticker

30. newstranger

newstranger

Naked Raygun is cool... I haven't heard that band brought up in years!

-ns