Register now to get rid of these ads!

History As They Were...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I always love seen any old photos with the cars of yesterday,,thanks for posting these Ryan! HRP

3. sololobo

sololobo

Cool pix, the Ford hardtop in the cover photo is an exception with the Buick tailights, ala mild el-custom-o. Love classic shots like these. Cool beans! ~sololobo~

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

Thanks Ryan,
    There is nothing I like better than seeing old autos in their natural environment. I have seen many of these before in my photo research hunt at work. Is that grill on that shoe box custom? Great stuff.
    Slim

Elcohaulic and 56cadillackid like this.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat post. That fox was a little wierd.

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The town I work for is celebrating thier centenial next year. This has unearthed a lot of old photos. This is hands down my favorite one.

[​IMG]

7. Wow!,...these are great shots.thanks

8. Agreed, looks like a '53 Victoria, '55 Buick tail lights and rear bumper, and '55-6 Merc trim at the beltline. I lose too much resolution blowing up the pic, but it looks like there might be some head light mods too. Northern Cal. based on the building signage. Very cool pics.................

Model T1 likes this.
  9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Old cars aren't on topic????

10. lawman

lawman

Great Pic's !!!!!! Thanks so much.

11. 2Hep

2Hep

I think that Hardtop is a 53-54 Mercury with '55 Buick Taillights...hard to tell on my phone...cool pictures

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The shoebox has a '54 Pontiac grille in it, it's a custom and there's two furrin' cars too, the little blue convertible, which I think is a Hillman and the Renault Dauphine.

13. I always liked this one.

[​IMG]

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I do love that shot from Niagra falls.(That's a '54Pontiac grill the shoebox is wearing) Actually all of them are cool as hell. I love this sort of "slice of life as it was" type of photography. So much more going on than the cars too. The clothing, the reason for the shot too. I really want to know why that fox is leashed to the bumper.

15. Wowcars

Wowcars

Ryan, I have a lot of these on my desktop at work. Gotta love Shorpy.com!

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

this is weird,I have never seen rides so far on to the beach before,when did this practice stop occuring?..pretty spectacular

17. Where I grew up.... Jacksonville, FL. Main St. looking South toward the Main St. Bridge over the St. Johns River, sometime in the early 50's

Attached Files:

18. Skull King

Skull King

Great topic Ryan. I love cars pictured in their natural setting in the day's of yore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  19. Another Jax shot of the Union Terminal rail depot. As a kid my dad would take me down there to watch the trains arrive and depart. A beautiful building, with lots of marble and glass inside, now the T&C Bureau.

Attached Files:

20. That looks like Daytona Beach. In 63 or 64 a hurricane came up the coast and eroded the beach. But even then there was plenty of cruising room except for high tide; we were going over from Deland as early in the year as February '65.

21. I like the last one with all the loaded trucks, I like to see things being used for work, the way they were intended.

22. And another Jax shot; this is the Imeson Airport terminal. Check out the classy two tone 56 (?) Ford convertible out front.

Another kid treat on Sunday afternoon was to be taken out there to watch the planes arrive and depart. Nothing like a big 4 engine Connie at full song to get the blood pumping.

Attached Files:

23. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I love seeing the old signs in the background. That shot of the old used car dealership has a KILLER twin gas pump in the background. WOW.

24. One more from my growing up days. That Scenicruiser 'hound was awesome.

Attached Files:

25. Obviously a modern shot, but it pictures the essence of the era.

Attached Files:

26. I always enjoy your writing.
    I'll put one up.
    This was on my Grandfather's farm.
    My dad's '52 Meteor

Attached Files:

• 52-7.jpg
      52-7.jpg
      File size:
      134 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    quick85 likes this.
  27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I wish it would end, we had our fun but this driving on the beach nonsense has gone on long enough.

28. The inevitable RIP shot

Attached Files:

29. GaryC.

GaryC.

You're probably already familiar with Shorpy.com
    but, I thought I would mention it.
    There are thousands of these sort of images there.
    Have fun!

http://www.shorpy.com/

Model T1 likes this.
  30. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, the 9th pic, the one with the guy with his truck and camper..That instantly made me think of my Grampa.. I have a few pics of when I was little with us out camping that look a lot like that one, or me tagging along as he was working. I swear I could tell you how the trees smelled and how the air felt in that pic. Very cool. Thanks Ryan!