Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Art Pricing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CQQLSPENCER, Mar 4, 2010.

1. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Hey Guys And Girls,
    I am getting some hot rod stuff together for my first art gallery showing and was wondering if you could help me on pricing. I know alot of you sell your work and I just wondered how you came up with your prices?
    I have tried to sell some drawings before but I think I was a little high any help would be great.

I have pinstriping panel, garbage can, bowling pins
    painting, and photography. Here are a couple to check out!

Thank you!

2. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Sorry I will try again with the pics

Attached Files:

3. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Come up with a price that you'd be happy getting for it. But realize, people are broke these days! And even when their not, nobody wants to pay any real money for "art" unless you're a big name. That being said, you put your heart and sole into your work so don't give it away. (I give almost all my shit away to friends though)

4. pinman 39

pinman 39

The "Art " business or game is a tough one .I have been around it quite a bit .There are many aspects to consider .I hope you already have.I am amazed they teach Art
    in schools but no Art Business .I suggest pretend you are not doing Hot Rod art .Treat what you are doing as if it is any other art form .Painting is still Painting and Potography is still photography. You still have the same costs involved .Check with your gallery owner and ask what landscapes etc. sell for ! Compare that against what you think ? You might also check Gannokin.com about pricing pieces .Comapre all three and see what you feel comfortable with .I know if you are an Artist you may have trouble as a businessman .Your materials and your time are worth Something .You can't give it all away for free or it will cost you to create .You deserve something for your efforts .You must tell people you are good at what you do and they should pay you something for the right to own something that came from you ! You don't need to be an Ass about it .You have a lot invested here and if people don't want to buy your stuff discounting it will only make you feel bad.Do't expect to sell out your first show .If you do you were way ubderpriced !
    Anyway good luck.

5. april may

april may

Consider your audience, and consider their salary. Then offer a deal they can't resist, even in a recession. Remember though, when selling in a gallery they usually get their commission. Depending on what they are charging you, you'll have to bump up your prices to cover the costs. People going to a gallery show with their wallets usually know what to expect. And for people that aren't into all that but still want a piece of what you have to offer, you can giver a no frills option (i.e. unframed) for a lesser price.

6. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

I treat my art like flat rate auto repair. If the painting took two hours, and I charge 20 bucks an hour then I charge fourty bucks for the painting. I think this method is fair but I find it hard to sell the more expensive stuff regaurdless of how cool it is. Good luck with your's!!!!

7. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA

Thank you every body it is great having you guys out there for help when you need it enven if it is tec week

8. sorry- can't help much. I do agree with Mikey.

Free plug- 'How to Survive & Prosper as an Artist', by Caroll Michels. You may find it a challenge to implement her philosophy and you may think it makes you too expensive, but it may plant a seed of self respect, as it does for me. Lots of helpful U.SA contacts. And it's a perspective from some one who dosen't follow the 'crazy starving artist' cliche.

Modern Art = 10 % talent/art, 90% the other stuff.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. driversroad

driversroad

My dad once told me that only the buyer and the seller know what the price is.. That being said you need to weed out the curious people. If someone is really interested in a piece they will have a price in mind, ask them and if it is in your acceptable range sell it.
    You have to sell the items you produce or you will get depressed with the lack of return on your time investment. I look at like, if I am not a show selling the art the stuff is just collecting dust in the closet. Dad also told me the money is always better in my pocket.
    The prices you get will go up as you become "accepted" by the public. Think about prints for the paintings you do, also.

Hope that helps

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The gallery gets 50% of the sale price of art in most cases and should be responsible for the costs of your show opening expenses. Best of luck.

11. CQQLSPENCER

CQQLSPENCER
    from Monroe, IA