Register now to get rid of these ads!

ARRRGGGHHH...stainless trim installation on 51 Chev Cpe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, May 24, 2008.

1. OK, I've had it...I'm trying to install freshly polished stainless belt molding trim on my 51 Chev. coupe and ain't having a good time. I'm bending, kinking, denting it as I go along. I'm done...unless someone can share some info. that will motivate me to try again or is there someone in the S.F. Bay Area I can take this to?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Hey Tom!
    are You trying to snap the trim onto the clips on the car, or are You installing the clips in the trim and then bolting it down?

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

^^^^
    What he said.

4. On the door, there are clips that I'm putting in the molding first and then trying to put it on the door. TEN of them. On the backside under the rear quater windows, I tried to start by attaching the 24" strip to the body and then pound the molding on to it. On this one, I've decided to eliminate the 24" strip and will be drilling the holes to accept a threaded rod clip that I can "nut" from the backside. The bottom rocker sill moldings I have not attempted. I'm too frustrated.

Ideas???:confused:

5. Kustm52

Kustm52

The ones on the door go on the car first, the the molding snaps over it. Pop the clips in the door, lay the trim on the clips and get the top lip of the molding over the edge of the clip. Push down and the bottom will snap on...

Brian

6. Brian...if this works...you da' man. Hell, the car is at my shop and I'm at home. I can't sleep...I should go down to the shop. I'll get back at you with praise or cuss.

Thanks,
    Tom

7. JC_32

JC_32

and he's off......I can hear the Bonanza theme song now.....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjdRgBAY278&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjdRgBAY278&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>