Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Arrow Speed Shop Logo Needed K.C., Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donut Dave, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Does anyone have a picture or copy of the original Arrow Speed Shop Logo, located in Kansas City, Mo.? (Mid-60's) Wanting it for a shop truck.

2. raven

raven

They are still in business.
    You might want to look into a possible infringement problem.
    r

3. stan292

stan292

Raven -

No shit. Still in business? Amazing!

Myself and a friend started a small speed shop in Springfield, Mo back in '67. We bought our starting inventory from Arrow - seems like we spent about $4K (and that was in 1960s money).

After we got everything loaded up in our truck, the owner (can't recall his name) bought us both a soda (15 cents each, if I remember right) by way of saying thanks for the big purchase.

How about "Ronnies Speed Shop" (in Independance ?) - is it still there?

4. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Sorry guys, Arrow filed bankruptcy, this might be the last month, anyway that is what I've been told

"Doc" Parsons

5. The guys name was,is Ron Kophagen......

6. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

7. How often did the logo change as I have it from the 80s and probably the late 70s. It looks like an arrow with a 90 degree bend in it and the word arrow in it >>>>.

8. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Do you mean Ron "Twinky" Kophagen?

wbrw32 likes this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Dave, our company bought the building they were in untill recently here in Tulsa and the logo is there in a couple of spots. I will take a picture today and send it your way. Joe

10. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Joe,
    Thanks much, that's what I was looking for....

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Here 'tis.

Attached Files:

12. If you're looking for a mid-60s logo that ain't it.

Letraset font Quicksilver was designed in 1977... (yes, I'm a font geek)

[​IMG]

13. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Not the correct logo, at least the one in KC had an arrow in the design.
    Thanks anyway,

14. We recieved the bulletin of closure less than one week ago and were told the end of this month, 10-31-08 was the last day of operation. I have been in the auto parts stores most of my days and have bought from them for years but the two step, mfg. and end seller; Summit, Jegs, etc have gotten very competive and alas, thier service as a three step, mfg.,dist.,jobber pipeline is nearly gone. Two many mouths to feed in that and a shrinking economy....:cool:

15. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

You guys bring the detail to an all new level. I'm impressesd!

16. Dragway42

Dragway42

Is this the one you are looking for?

[​IMG]

17. Abomination

Abomination

Wow - I've been away too long. I didn't even see this. :(

18. Ronnies has been gone a very long time. He is still hawking parts and services but as a traveling salesman.

Don Mann told me he's living on Johnson County these days.

19. raven

raven

I think it would be cool if someone re-popped the Arrow decal.
    I grew up in the area hearing the commercials on the radio for them.
    r

20. Abomination

Abomination

I've got thousands of vintage decal scans - most no longer copywrited - awaiting reproduction.

I may actually do it someday. I've been "networking" and finding folks that do this, but not really seriously.

But yeah, man - I grabbed the pics on here as soon as I found 'em. I have speed shop, travel, states, etc decals - 30s to 70s. Even a WWII collection of things that could be repopped.

~Jason

21. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

The place I work for does vinyl decals, just a couple of hrs from you.

We do a lot of OE tractor, but you have probably see our stuff on the State Patrol cars.:(

David

22. zzford

zzford

I just whipped this one up. Use it if you like. Fred

Attached Files:

23. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

When I worked for Pete and Jakes in a few years ago, Jerry bought the "old" Ronnie's Speed Shop light up sign. I remember cleaning it and hanging it when they first moved from Grandview to Peculiar.

We had family working at Carl's Speed Shop before the overhead valve stuff took over and he eventually bought the Carl's Tire Center name and rights. Sadly my wifes grandfather doesnt save anything so most of the vintage stuff is gone. But I did have the logo on my wagon doors for a while.

Ever hear of KC Chrome Supply? I found a nudie calender from the 50's a while back, and don't know much about them.

I love the vintage decals but be careful about repoping some, just because there is no copyright doesnt give you the right to reproduce. I've seen a couple friends loose their invested inventory that way. I had to stop a vinyl outfit after Jeff and I saw him selling our designs at a show.

24. Abomination

Abomination

That's another reason I haven't repopped - little time to research. What time I have spent shows the majority to be in the public domain now... but I'm not taking the chance without the research being done. And if anyone can make a claim t 'em and prove it, since I'd be doing it for fun I'd gladly cut 'em in!

~Jason

25. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

fng Dragway 42 That place has been around almost as long as Arrow Speed has!!!!!!!! Still a functioning facility and home of the Rock n Race. I still get your newsletter. Merry Christmas!

26. GAB-KC

GAB-KC

The original Arrow Speed shop was at the corner of Independence Avenue and Oakley. It was owned by Lenard Glass. This was late 50's and early 60's. A grocery store up the street a block came available and Arrow moved there. Some of the early employees that I can remember were Rex Cox, Paul Neff, and Larry Royal. Lenard's dad was around quite a bit and later his sons were involved when they got old enough.

Lenard used to answer the phone "Free information Line".:)

27. Dragway42

Dragway42

Merry Christmas back at you LowKroozer!

28. Scalarrthu

Scalarrthu

Sorry to bring this one back from so long ago, but came across the thread while doing an internet search and thought I would post something. My dad used to race out of Ronnie's Speed shop many years ago (long before my time), but I did happen to have some old pictures of his car and various other things...and one of them an original Ronnie's Speed Shop sticker. Just thought I'd pass it on.

I've actually had it blown up to poster size along with a picture of the old car, so here is a picture of the poster since the original is at my house back in KC.
    [​IMG]

29. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

What was your speed shop in Springfield? I was just a snot nosed little kid in '67, but i'm curious.

30. Abomination

Abomination