Register now to get rid of these ads!

...aren't we all here to help one another out?!?!?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by chopsdeluxe51, Jan 21, 2012.

1. chopsdeluxe51

chopsdeluxe51
    from Steel City

So I've been on here for a while now and have found some great information and talked to some awesome people. What I don't understand is why some people are asking some OUTRAGEOUS prices for some of these parts. Some of the rusty, dented, chrome-peeled excuses for parts some people are selling are worthless. My whole deal is that we are here to take care of one another, to promotoe the brotherhood and unity of hot-rodding and building cars, so why bend someone over? I know everyone isn't going to give things away, but the people who are selling re-pops for OEM and NOS prices blows my mind. I see these ads with "btt" for 2 months straight, wouldn't you take a hint? I love the H.A.M.B and just felt I needed to get this off of my chest. I'm not trying to offend anyone or piss anybody off, but maybe some of us need to take a step back and realize why we sit in a cold garage, making tools out of nothing, saving pennies for a part, and dream of being behind the wheel of the car we are building or working...we need to get back to the roots. Brotherhood, unity, and keeping the aesthetic of pre-64's going...just a thought. Have a good weekend guys.

Chops

2. bruce bowe

bruce bowe

nice thoughts! i second it!

3. screwball

screwball

WE live in a capitalistic society if you want what they sell you buy it if its priced to high for you move on. You may need to wait till you find what you want for the price you want to pay. Its not about instant gratification some times you may need to wait.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chops, check some of those sellers other posts sometimes. Often you will figure out that they aren't one of "us" they are here to sell their stuff to "us" for the highest dollar. A lot of them never participate on the board but list a number of items for sale every day or week. They are quick to respond if you post a part wanted add though and ask top dollar for those parts too.
    And some guys figure that you have to start high as most guys want to bargain a bit or offer something as a partial trade.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds nice and touchy feely, and I wish it could happen, but some sellers are also on a budget, and need the money to fund their projects too. Some are small time dealers that buy and sell to subsidize their income, and they too need to make money. I know I need to sell something occasionally to help fund a project, and I'd hate to just get my money back when I do. (well sometimes I hope I can even get my money back!:) )
    I don't begrudge a person making a little money on turning some old parts into cash. If we all just got our money back I doubt there'd be much in the for sale section.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

im all for helping people out. barter, trade, give away. id rather see a guy finish his car than make a big profit.

7. Classism is lame.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Some guys sell parts for a living, I do anyway. When work is not consistent, I go looking for parts to buy and resell to make rent and grocery money. I'm always willing to dicker on my prices I set, and I usually include shipping so there's no questions. And yes sometimes it take a few months of bttt's to get it up where a potential buyer can catch it on the first page.

9. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

I have a tendency to agree with Chops, and unfortunately, over the years I find that even the most die hard car guy will take advantage of someone that believes in being fair. I have built several cars for people that claim to be friends and as soon as the car is done I very seldom see them again, and Parts? people expect you to Give them the part they want and on occasion actually want you to pay them to take it.
    yet later when you need that part and it is still hanging on their garage wall they want a premium price for it.
    You learn to live with it and expect it.

At this point in my life I can realistically say that I have only One person that has treated me fairly. I guess he makes up for all the rest.

As chops says. it is supposed to be a brotherhood. supposedly this site is to relive and rebuild the society as it was in the early times of Hot Rodding, the times where all the guys were part of a 'club' had a club house or garage and helped all the other people in the group with time and parts. without charging anyone a dime...
    Not so today.. if you want "nostalgia" THAT is really how it was.

10. onedge

onedge

Preaching to the choir. It's all part of it:)

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think 'MR48chev' has the right idea about it......

12. Dave50

Dave50

Chad your a alliance member though and are helpful on the site there are to many sellers not true hambers I se the site changing but not for the good imo to many fng here not reading the rules were are policing it the best we can but its inevitable.... The ones who post only in classifieds and dont helpm out etc we dont need them it sucks cause we need there parts LOL

13. Abomb

Abomb

I enjoy helping people out, it feels fine, really.....but it's something a normal person should do after helping themselves and their own family first. The touchy-feely crowd will try to make you "feel good" about it, they also want to drum into you that profit and commerce is bad............but this is getting a little on the political side....

Yes, I am here to help people out....sometimes. People here help me out...sometimes
    But, to answer you question honestly, NO, we are not ALL here to help one another out....Sorry if that ruins your world view.

14. screwball

screwball

Im sorry but reality sucks bottom line is every thing comes down to $$. Its a hard lesson but thats how it is. Every now and then Chops you will meet guys that think like you but that seams to be the exception more that the rule. See how many people quote ebay as we have over educated ourselves and think what we see on Barrett-Jackson is real life. I still deal as if every one is honest and lose when it comes to alot of deals but as long as Im happy its ok with me.

15. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Hell, whenever I have the means to I'd rather just give someone a part they need (based upon their character.) Can be more rewarding than getting $50 that will be blown in a day anyways.

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I know how ya feel man and been there like many of us....I cant tell ya how many parts ive given away and gave friends 'deals' on (taken a loss on) to help them out on projects but got forbid if they have something you maybe interested in for your stuff they want top market value.....I've given up and taken the hit to the chin but wont it let it take my passion or smile away....Cant help but laugh cause most clubs now a days are nothing more than a social clubs and ego stroke. A bunch of guys who jus want to stand around there stuff or garage and tell there story but lose interest when you chime in about yours...whatever...it is what it is and the old days esp of HAMB are long gone in my opinion....There are guys here just to make money and could care less about anything else...you see and know how they are.....there are others who dont waste time on the computer but lurk and would prob give ya the shirt off there back to help....there are all kinds here man...being new just start hitting the invents and meeting people from here...

17. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I see your point but like you said some people, not everyone. I have picked up a bunch of good deals here from HAMBers and I try to return the favor. I have found things here that you simply can't find anywhere else.

18. Although I can somewhat agree with "chopsdeluxe51" there are 2 factors that come into play here.

One is "supply & demand" and the other is that guys like myself have to have the going rate for the parts we sell in order to be able to afford the parts we need.

I don't sell stuff for a living like some do but if I don't do some "wheelin' & dealin'" I couldn't afford to even have a car let alone do what I want to do to it.

Case in point: I want a light blue metalflake steering wheel for one of my cars. Speedway Motors only offers them in dark blue and all the ones I'm finding are "originals" at a cost of around $350.00 and up! :eek: Well I don't have $350.00 for a used wheel but I have some Anglia parts to sell. Well if what I have is worth decent money why should I give it away and still have to scrounge around for the money I need to buy what I want? Am I suppose to give away my parts and still pay the big bucks???

Yes it's a viscous circle but it is what it is and it ain't gonna change! UNFORTUNATELY!!!

19. In a free market the value of something is whatever the market will bear. If the market won't bear it then they'll either have to sit on the part or ask less for it. It works for me.

When I sell something, I'm not trying to get top dollar. I'm just happy to get a little extra cash and have the part go to someone that needs it. I don't have a problem with other folks trying to get top dollar. If I think it's too much, I don't buy it.

Dang, dude. I've had dozens and dozens of people treated me fairly and only a couple that didn't.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  20. brianj

brianj

Usualy I wind up buying my stuff from local people I have known for a while- swap meets, other car nuts, etct. You can't beat face to face dealings with someone you know you are going to be dealing with again. The hamb classifieds seem to be good for finding oddball or very specific parts, which are the type you will usualy pay top dollar for. If someone is asking too much- don't buy.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's true, I do see a ton of fng's where their first post is a classifieds thread.

Also the reason I think only alliance members should be allowed to sell on here, if you pay your membership fees, then you're here for a reason which includes the main board and being able to sell parts.

22. screwball

screwball

AMEN but character is hard to define when selling off a message board. I only sell in person at flea markets or word of mouth. I know I wont get top $ because I live in my area and can only value what I have to that demographic. To value my stuff for sale to what you can get in Southern California would only make me jaded and thinking the people in my area are cheap. I have given things away to others if thats what I want to do. I have also refused to sell to others if I believe they are not on the up and up. Its not about the $$$$ all the time for me.

23. chopsdeluxe51

chopsdeluxe51
    from Steel City

I understand completely supply and demand, and market value, and all that other good stuff...my point is, if it's been sitting in your garage for 10 years, why try to get rich? This isn't American Pickers. I understand people buy and sell to make money...I am by no means rich, I bust my balls everyday working just like everyone else on here. MY bottom line is, lets help each other out when we can. I'd MUCH rather be driving next to the guy in his old car because I could help him rather than waiting for the guy who will pay me the most for a part I'm holding onto.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

One mans,............... "Did you see the price of that thing !!!:mad:"
    Is another mans,...... "Did you see the price of that thing !!!:D"

It's all pretty relative,... A guy that sold a cherry Deuce 3 window in the 80's, walking through an event and seeing the same car he sold again for sale, in a depleted condition, not knowing the market,... would be shocked and mortified at the price being asked,.. Even if it was a smoking deal by today's standards.

Does that make the Deuce worth less ?... Nope, it's what the traffic will bear. And if you sold said item for X amount of money,.. If you needed another one, what would it cost you to replace it ?...

I have seen a lot of items slip past me in years gone by, grumbling about what a rip off it was, that years later,..I found myself buying the same thing in worse condition, for two or three times the amount the first guy was asking. ( Like the NOS 32' Pines Winterfront, in the box I passed on back in 1976 for $300.00).

I have also "Helped out the brethren" by giving them parts, only to see what I gave them, show up at a swap meet,... and when I asked the guy that has it now, where did you get it from?,.. The guy tells me the name of the guy I gave it to,..

There are a number of guys I will still give stuff to, (shoot !,.. I have given friends entire cars before !) Or give them whatever they want for exactly what I paid for it,.... But I'm building cars as well,.. And If I can get a few extra bucks on something, and there not a car pal. I don't have a problem of expecting market value.

Case in point,.. If fab32 or a few other close friends came into my shop or garage, and really needed or wanted something I had,.. and I didn't need it,.. I would make sure they left with it.

IMHO

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  25. brianj

brianj

THAT I absolutely agree with. To make sure someone is not just looking to get sh#t for nothing, just look at the number of posts. Someone with a few hundred posts has been here a while- although as a "fng" myself it would be a while untill anyone wants to talk to me.

26. two questions ... How bad do you need it ? and What are you willing to pay?

..... with that established the market price is set ... and any other price is either robbery or charity!

27. Larry T

Larry T

After about the second time you've sold a part under priced or given it to a friend or someone that needs it to finish a project and you see it for sale a week later for double the price, you kinda get soured on the "good ol boy" deals.
    Larry T

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've never tried to sell parts on the HAMB. I don't like the implied idea that I am supposed to give a HAMB discount just because you are a HAMBer.

A local guy that I can talk to in person to figure out if he is indeed a young guy with few funds can usually get me to bargain but an unknown stroke from BF Egypt that will never be able to or want to reciprocate will just have to pay the price. I've had too many professional venders cry poor mouth only to see my part resold at the going price later. If I am selling anything, it is because I need the money for something else. I can't afford to adopt all the young guys.

Sorry if that makes me a prick then so be it. Someday you will probably feel the same way.

29. I agree!

I'd rather sell at a swap meet to a guy I've been shootin' the shit with for a half hour and give him a deal for the good talk. However you get the guys that come around and "brow beat" you and want to pay you 50 cents on the dollar for your stuff too. I just had this happen yesterday. I have some fenders for an O/T car that I'm only asking $125.00 each. This idiot offered me 60 bucks for one and, by his own admission, said that he can by repops for $250.00 plus $125.00 shipping! I told him, go ahead!

Anyway... By me taking 1/2 of what I was looking for do you think the guy selling the $350.00 steering wheel is going to take $175.00. NOT!!!

Like I mentioned.... I don't like it but it is what it is!

30. rick finch

rick finch

Nothing has changed, it has always been this way. I WILL always help someone out that I know, but if I don't know you.....not so much. We are not an altruistic band of brothers, it is called free enterprise...you think a part is too expensve, move on or pay the piper.