Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are your parts really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 8, 2021.

1. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i've had stuff that didn't sell and scrapped it for pizza and beer. helped scrapping out a 53 buick skylark conv. body was garbage. i took it to the junkyard for pizza money. i kept the valve covers. lol

2. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

I only buy what I want, and never sell anything. Got 60 years of junk.

Budget36 likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

There have been a few good adds on there that I wish were alot closer so I could buy them, there is a sbf motor on there that I wish was closer but as luck has it none of the really good Big items are close to me....

CME1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you start trying to figure why people do the things they do. You are as crazy as they are. I have no idea why you would bump an ad for a Model T 203 times. When you sell the parts you have, why would you go out and buy more to sell. You can`t sell the 4- project cars you have that are 4-sale. You buy your dream car, then your other dream car comes along so the other is sold! It`s an endless cycle.

ClarkH and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  5. I agree. There's one on there right now that I'd pay up for. Set of tires. But it says "absolutely no shipping" so again, are they truly for sale? I mean, you know if there are any members on here close to you, and if they don't want em, then you're not gonna sell em unless you'll ship them. I'll just hold onto my cash i guess. I won't ship my cash either lmao!

olscrounger and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

And I want everyone to know Doug is a stand up guy- I do appreciate those 24 302 pistons. I have two early 327 blocks and a 283 block that has their name written on them.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Someone say pizza.........and beer?

Truckdoctor Andy and Budget36 like this.
  8. carbking

carbking

This is my 49th year in retail parts sales, so have seen a little.

There is always a camp of folks that complain about high prices. "That bandit should pitch his/her tent in the bazaar in Bankok!".

There is also a camp of vendors that complain about tire kickers. "That guy/gal is so cheap he/she wouldn't spend a nickel to see an ant eat a bale of hay!".

The real world is somewhere inbetween.

You stay in business for 48 years by having parts that are for sale.

Have fun, and stay healthy.

Jon.

9. I recently advertised my 40 coupe project on here, and I really was ready to pull the ad.

110 days, 3 price reductions, lots of inquiries, lots of picture files e-mailed, and most people didn’t have the courtesy to even acknowledge receiving them.
    It needed to go, it was never going to be built, and I was willing to deliver it within reason.
    Not even a low ball offer.

Well, just as I was ready to pull it, I got a good offer from a HAMBer and it now resides in MO, and I delivered it.

The mysteries of connecting with the right buyer never cease to amaze me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  10. Its all about timing.

seb fontana and hotrodA like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-11-24_3-39-7.png

Hello,

When anyone sets out to sell something, there is always some trepidation. Do we want to sell all of it, or are we just getting rid of what we no longer need or will use? A car is similar in thought. It was always our mantra and pocketbook to sell a car before we bought a new one or at least a different one. Our friend had a built up 34 Ford with a big Oldsmobile motor and LaSalle transmission. It was the epitome of an early street/strip hot rod.

When he had it up for sale, we already had our cars, but surely would have bought it. Our old Westside of Long Beach house had enough places for 4 cars and one hot rod building space and storage in the far reaches of the yard. But, money and space had been determined for us. So, good bye (buy) to the 34 Ford coupe.

Jnaki

When we were cleaning up the disarray of hot rod/drag racing parts, we had to make a decision. Do we keep some for a future build or do we sell it and buy what we need as it arises? To me, the 671 292 SBC motor would have been a drop in the bucket for my Flathead powered Sedan Delivery. Or, even in the 58 Impala for the ultimate street cruiser. We already had the 348 hooked up to a C&O Stick Hydro, so the 671 SBC motor would have made the Impala a possible 11 second entry into the C/Gas Coupe/Sedan Class.
    upload_2021-11-24_3-40-20.png Similar to our complete motor...
    I wanted the 671 SBC motor to stay, but the look on my mother’s face every time she saw the open garage door and the parts, including the 671 SBC motor on a rolling stand, was too much for her. All she saw was her oldest son in all sorts of situations, tied into that motor. So, for the sanity of the household and our weaning away from this portion of motorsports, we had to sell it.

By the end of February 1960, all of the parts were sold and gone. The converted old Rumpus Room to a hot rod workshop was now empty except for the huge cleanup. We were a little sad, but it was in the cards. We still had our dealer number and ordering special parts program, so we kept up on that, when our friends needed something for their arsenal.

But, our once popular backyard garage was now a surfboard repair and storage shop. Then within a year, there were two 250cc desert racing motorcycles to work on for our desert Hare and Hound 100 mile races.

Once the initial feeling of selling something comes into play, then the rest of that feeling will last until the parts or car is sold. So, the same feeling came into play when college and the final years were upon us. We needed to finish with a flourish and that crept into competing out in the So Cal desert races.

Again, the single sale of each desert motorcycle was to another couple of young kids who had aspirations of becoming the latest addition to the motorcycle scene, European Scrambles racing. One hour races on a shorter 5-10 mile course in the desert, led into the eventual closed course racing that became popular all over the USA.

The only thing left in that rear backyard Rumpus Room garage area were a set of custom made, dual chrome scavenger pipes that we had put up in the exposed rafter beams. Those came off of the 58 Impala as they were too heavy and did not do anything for faster times and speeds. We were allowed to run them at the drags with several other racers with their versions, but someone protested those were not stock and all of us that had the scavenger pipes had to disconnect them.

We were so used to going into the backyard garage and doing stuff. So, after 1960, we had never looked up while we were back there. In 1998, when we sold the house, I remember seeing those pipes still in the rafters when I closed the garage door, "in the last look around" before leaving the property.
    YRMV

Budget36 likes this.
  12. twenty8

twenty8

One man's trash, another man's treasure works the other way around too.
    "One mans treasure, another man's trash".....................

gimpyshotrods and X-cpe like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an addendum to my own post:

If you feel like you are "sitting on a goldmine that is going to make your heirs rich", you might be the only one who knows that, or who possibly cares.

My advice to you is to take your time to put a value on everything that you are planning on leaving behind, and then take your time selling it off.

This will accomplish several things:

1. You will be able to make sure that your parts are sold for the present true market value, instead of being scrapped at a negative value.
    2. You will save your family the hassle of going through your things in a time of grief, generating more grief, to carry out your wishes (the reason why so many "goldmines" are scrapped).
    3. It will keep your gold from being melted down and sent to a far-off-land, only to come back as disposable items.
    4. It will allow others to use the parts for their intended purpose, while it is still possible*, rather than just garage trophies.

I work in part of the automotive technology that is going to replace what we currently have. I can speak with authority that it is coming faster that anyone here wants to believe.

*The days of the internal combustion engine are numbered. The average vehicle owner only cares about convivence and (perceived: see empty pickup truck) capability. They don't care if the vehicle is powered by gasoline, diesel, pixie dust, or unicorn farts. As soon as an electric vehicle can be "refueled" in the same relative time that it takes to fill up an ICE vehicle, it's over. The free-market will begin to price ICE operation out of existence. If you have specific questions about this, please contact me directly and I will answer them. They are not for this board.

The short of the long: Use your parts. If you cannot, or will not, get the parts to where they can be used. Don't actively prevent the potential joy of others.

14. I saw this 1950 Ford pickup sitting on the side of the road this morning so I turned around to check it out, it's a original pickup with a flathead V8, 3 on the tree and a second paint job, it would make a nice driver and has enough bumps and scratches you wouldn't worry about driving it to the grocery store or the local builder supply.

I called the number on the windshield and was shocked at the asking price, $19,500 is to much for me but I wished him luck. HRP

100_3454.JPG

100_3455.JPG

Budget36 likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Good looking truck though. I’m bad on pricing anything, so can’t comment on that.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where I am, that would sell in 10-days at that price.

ClarkH and WiredSpider like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

^^^ Most likely.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. I still haven't figured this one out yet - you try selling something, which is basically junk , (like an old independent front end from a 40's Chevy) , you put "beer money" price on it ($50)- no calls. OK, I will drop it to "scrap price"- $20 - still no calls. Then I decide to give it away for free, at least it may get used one day or become part of another hoarder's stash- still nothing. So, sadly, it goes in with the other scrap steel, and I buy a case of beer. After a couple of months I get a call from the other side of the country - " Hey mate, do you still have that XYZ for sale? I have a mate who drives his truck through there every week so he can pick it up - I can deposit directly into your bank account?"
    It has happened a couple of times after I had taken the stuff to the scrap dealer months ago!

19. There are a lot of cars sitting still because some guy can't find or can't afford a certain part. I'd rather see another hot rod on the road than to hoard parts myself. I check the want ads every day to see if I can help somebody out, the same way a few guys here have helped me.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Hmmmm.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The people out here that would buy that truck at that price do not care about $15 a gallon gasoline or $5,000 a year insurance to drive it.

They are the ones who do not bat an eyelash when I tell them that what they want is going to cost them $50,000 and will take a year to complete.

They aren't the average driver, on this board, or out in the regular world.

22. Knock knock pig iron, you gonna sell me that carburetor I messaged you about? Lmao!

pigIRON63 likes this.
  23. I have alot of stuff for sale it's just not advertised due to my lack of not advertising it!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. Heck yeah, my stuff is for sale. I have it priced so low I expect to go home with an empty trailer. photo1-vi.jpg

25. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

PM sent

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

If you put something up for sale and change your mind, update the ad. When someone inquires about the item, don't lead them on and then leave them hanging.
    Either it's for sale or it's not!

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What do you have in 1st Gen Chrysler Hemi?

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hold on Gimpy , I want to know of these low prices first . :D

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same!

30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yup, since the wallet isn't thick w/C-notes, much less to the point of not needing to ask 1st, need ~prices on each manifold. Stude, n maybe some early chev v8. Thankyou very much. :) :D . Patiently waiting... :D .
    Marcus...