Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are your parts really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 8, 2021.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Shipping costs are taking the fun out of buying and selling across all venues. I have big items that will have to wait for swap meets hopefully next year . :oops:

2. 5window

5window

I read your entire post. What's my prize?

3. 5window

5window

The first US postage stamp was printed in 1847 and cost 5 cents. That's $1.69 US or $2.29AUD today . Shipping costs have always been a problem.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  4. RT468

RT468

I've always tried to make a buck where I could,break even where possible,take a loss if I know I overpaid,consider trade if equitable,or just outright give away in lieu of scrapping if I'm tired of tripping over parts. Had fair success in person to person sales that way. Online sales I've pretty much written off other than a source of info and price comparisons. Problem I've run in to is having items that can't be found in comparable condition or even listed at all to base prices off of. Hard to sell if you can't put a price out there and despise EBay so won't list there. Pains me to even stop in to check listing for comparison purposes.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  5. 1ton

1ton

This thread somehow reminds me of being stuck in heavy traffic and complaining about all the "other" cars clogging up the highway.

egads, JimSibley, RJP and 5 others like this.
  6. That's why I'd never live in Chicago.

1ton likes this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Then it would help if people left the price in the ad, and stopped replacing it with "Sold". Mark it Sold in the title.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^ Exactly. 1) let’s you know what the part would sell for in a similar condition 2) you then know what the hamb flipper paid so when he relist it you know how much it is going to hurt.:p

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Well, that would only help is the sold price was listed. I’d bet people selling things don’t want to admit a final price they sold it for;)

My only complaint looking through the stuff for sale is (as mentioned before) 30 replies of “BTT”. Okay, I’ve an idea, bump your post up with BTT. Delete the previous “BTT “ post.
    Doesn’t make them look so desperate? With the “I’m gonna sell it at my price only” two years later…

10. 1ton

1ton

I live 45 miles west of downtown Chicago and most likely will never visit that shithole ever again. In fact, I've called on stuff for sale through Craigslist and when I find the location being in a bad area, I'll politely tell the seller that I'm not interested. It's not just me, most of the people I know have no desire to go into the city.

11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Jalopy Journal Has Been Very Helpful To Me For Buying And Selling Parts And Cars Over These Years And I Will Decide If The Price Is Right As Will The Seller And Customer....Period...

Hamtown Al, lostmind, RJP and 2 others like this.
  12. phat rat

phat rat

For those who say put sold in the title that isn't possible as far as I've found. If you know how let us know

13. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to your ad and look for the link Thread Tools (upper right, next to Watch Thread). Click on the little circled arrow. You will be given options to edit the Title and also the Custom Fields (which are location and price).
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 6.24.19 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Blues4U, LOU WELLS and 5window like this.
  14. phat rat

phat rat

^^^Thanks^^^^^ I'll remember that for the future

Blues4U and ClarkH like this.
  15. Oh, stop it, you've got Country Ham right around the corner. Cut a slice and calm down. HAHAHAHAHahahhah!!!!

16. lostmind

lostmind

I sell on the HAMB, thanks to all the buyers. Some things sell in minutes,
    some take months. The bump feature allows to get it up in front of a new set of eyes.
    There are always new members joining.
    I see no need for a string of bumps , takes one click to delete the old one.
    Shipping prices take some getting used to , just like gas prices.
    I ship a lot of items for under $10 priority mail. Can't get here from there for $10 gas.
    It's not hard to find a buyer , check sold prices elsewhere and price it for less.
    Yes , my parts are really for sale.
    Thanks for the Thread Lloyd.

lostone, Blues4U, akoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I just checked for something in the parts classified; saw some clown's hubcaps with three pages of BUMP...really?

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This reminds me of a old guy who set up at the local swapmeets trying to get 40 dollars for a NOS carb kit for a Holley teapot 4 bbl,this is about 25 years ago and I bought a new kit for 12.95 so it looks like he did not want to sell it.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  19. You always have some interesting stuff for sale. I've bought a few things from you.

20. "Vintage" means it's worth more lol. Vintage actually means that somewhere down the line, somebody overlooked it when they were hauling off scrap. Don't take me the wrong way, I get it. I guess I've never been a collector. If I need it I'll buy it. If I have it and my buddy needs it, I'll either give it to him or sell it for what I gave for it. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I ripped off another car guy. I'd rather know i helped him out with getting his car done.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Not the flippers mindset on here or elsewhere.

22. X-cpe

X-cpe

It takes time to properly shrink those gaskets.

Blues4U, Truck64 and Guy Patterson like this.

23. You hit the nail on the head... Too many guys trying to cut a fat hog at other people's expense. I treat people the way I want to be treated, and I have to look myself in the mirror each day, so I may not die rich, but you know what... the greedy guys will be just as dead when they go, and all that greed gets them nowhere! I don't do a lot of buying/selling these days, but when I do I try to price fairly and factor in what a part is doing for me, sitting in a corner gathering dust. Something I bought 30 years ago and never used obviously doesn't have a ton of value to me, so why be greedy.
    A buddy of mine usually sells in person and online..... He sets an asking price, then adjusts it during the conversation and getting to know the buyer. I know a lot of instances when he dropped his price more than I thought he would, just to help out a new guy, or someone he learned was sincere in their needs/goals. HE sleeps well every night, as do I!

INVISIBLEKID and Oilguy like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It seems like I sell most parts at a loss,if I can get 3/4 of what I paid I am doing good.

25. carbking

carbking

While I understand your meaning, this is probably not the best example.

$12.95 FLAPS kit - fuel valve, pump cup, check valves, economiser (maybe) and gaskets.

$40. NOS Holley kit - fuel valve, pump cup (if you are lucky, and the kit was old enough, a complete pump), check valves, economiser valve, power valve, main metering jets, idle mixture screws, and SHRUNK gaskets.

Buying both would have been the way to do the carb right.

(Oh, and I wasn't the "old guy" mentioned) ;)

Jon.

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mmmmmmmm, country ham..........

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I understand how the bump feature works and I think it is a good idea, but maybe there should be a limit on how many times you can bump each item you have for sale.

There are cars for sale on the for over five years and longer, so I do believe some sort of time limit would be in order.
    I also realize I do not have to look at the cars for sale on the HAMB which is what I choose to do now!
    Jimbo

28. I have parts that I sell no one else makes, I don't want to have to relist my ad's and their pictures over and over again, for the parts. I sell 28/29 Ford roadster chopped floding windshield posts, it's very convenient to bump the ad's. No limit I say. JW

-Brent- likes this.
  29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I’m about to find out. Planning on retiring at the end of the year and have 4000 sq/ft full of excess projects and parts. I do know the stuff is made of steel and iron…not gold! Was figuring on using the HAMB classifieds as opposed to all the horror I’ve heard about that “E” place. I quit buying and accumulating any of it back in the early ‘90,s, so I figure some of the values have increased. Guess we’ll see…

rod1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll give you ten bucks for that NOS Hurst T handle!:D