Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you the odd duck in your car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 17, 2017.

1. The reason behind the question,My pal Dave,Steve and I are guys that are more in tune with the traditional styled cars & trucks than our fellow club members,for the most part our members have been around this game for many years and build the same way they always have and a few are into the over the top ,throw piles of cash for billet laden street rodders,

Nothing against them they are a great bucnch of guys and they are willing to help anyone with their cars but there again,we are the odd ducks. HRP

2. Well I don 't belong to a car club but if I did I can assure you that I would be an odd duck. :D

RAR1947, 3340, dana barlow and 15 others like this.
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Our club is nothing but Odd Ducks,, being a racing club almost everyone has a vehicle that is different from other members. So we have members that have been 300 mph and members that are happy with a 115 mph record. We got streamliners, roadsters of many colors and styles, trucks, drop tanks, motorcycles, crosleys, well maybe the motorcycle guys are the odd ducks cause they can fall over, we just spin......

manx4me, BLUSHU and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I belonged (well, helped start) to a few clubs way back when...('59-'63?) and was the 'odd duck'.
    I worked on, fixed, swapped engines, wired, etc., other members' cars at the 'club shop'. This shLt got old fast, nobody else did any mechanical thing but hang their club plaques, and I usually ended up helping with brackets, chains, etc. with THAT!
    I hereby emit a late but hopefully appreciated, "QUACK!" :D

5. squirrel

squirrel

Not only are my cars strange, but I take them on adventures, as well.

Pufff, OFT, Steve McGilloway and 11 others like this.
  6. 327Eric

327Eric

I stopped my car club days when a group of members wives loudly and pointedly criticized my car during a meet. It was crusty. But was on its first drive in 30 years. A few years later patina and ratty type cars were all the rage. Im just too odd to even be in a club.

7. ken bogren

ken bogren

I'm the odd duck in a club of one.

BLUSHU, 3340, The37Kid and 6 others like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Club. That's funny.

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am in hopes to not offend you but that is good news to me. Not that you feel like an odd duck but that you are as open minded and friendly to your street rod buddies as they are to you.I like all the traditional built cars as much as the later street rods. The thing I like about street rodders is just what you mention about your club. They accept traditional cars where as the traditional clubs and get togethers shun street rods. I am somewhere in the middle as I don't care for billet or totally smoothed out etc. but I like shortend rears with tires under the fenders and a few other things not allowed by hard core traditionalists. About every thing on my car is 60's and down with the few exceptions mentioned above.My favorite style seems to be just after the cutoff . I am so close to my cars fitting in here but as they say, so close but no cigar. I am happy to lurk here and enjoy the part of the hobby that has to do with my builds. I just wish I could fit in better with my car and not just conversations. So as to your question,I guess I feel like an odd duck too.

10. That may very well be the case in your neck of the woods but as the club I am a member of is celebration 45 years of existence, we must be doing something right that many clubs have failed to do to survive.

Our club is old school and we are a democracy and vote on everything and live with it,

One point was made early in the clubs history that we won't have wives or girlfriends as members,guys can get pissed at each other and let it go but we have seen people start clubs and when one female get upset the club can go South real quick,we have seen it happen time and time again with large clubs,we do include our spouces in every activity. HRP

11. Larry T

Larry T

Ya gotta know this was coming.....

groucho.jpg

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Rather than odd duck, I prefer "Unique", (wife uses weird on occasion) I have always been the drummer in my own band, by nature and choice, I like what I like, not easily influenced or impressed by my peers, media, etc. That being said, in my group of fellow car enthusiast's, I and one other guy are the only "Old School Look" style men (w/ modern driveline, amenitie's,convenience's) I respect and enjoy the HAMB, my enjoyment of having these cars is cruising, shows, friendship's, made. I seem to get along with everyone, their car is their deal, whatever their taste in iron may be, I like all cars, have had/have different styles, types and plan playing w/ cars of some type until my time expires. And I still like Fuzzy Dice !

13. I'm the odd duck everywhere I go.

cpd682, HOTRODPRIMER and j3harleys like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the only car club I am associated with...
    upload_2017-4-17_11-12-44.png
    And I actually don't even own one of them either. o_O

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your real estate does not put a "fixer-upper" at $1.14M, 2-bedroom apartment at $4000/mo., and a parking space (where it is illegal to even open your hood), is $450+/mo (if you don't get outbid).

I cannot even park my wife's 11-year-old VW on the street in my 'hood without the neighbors telling me that I am bringing down property values.

There are clubs, but they are all based 60-80 miles inland.

theHIGHLANDER and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my Car Club, the Hep Demons, the photo is from 2004. Now I´m the guy on the very left. And I´m pretty much the only member left aswell:) At least last one that is going anywhere. Maybe that makes me an odd ball .Hahaha...
    heps2005121qo.jpg

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The whole club is odd!

FatDave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

It would take a impartial outside judge to pick the (one) odd duck in our club...... tnCAP9O5NW.jpg

19. LOL when I lived in an apartment in San Mateo in the '80s the fine print said that I was not even allowed to own a motorcycle. I was paying extra for a private garage which turned out to be where the community wash machines were located. The building manager moved me into his private garage and asked me to start my bike down the street. LOL

wraymen and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My neighbors leave angry notes under the wiper.

21. I had one turn me I for loud pipes ( which was probably correct) and had a cop meet me in my driveway with a ticket already written when I coasted in. :eek::D

The bay area has not be out of the norm friendly for a long time.

22. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I'm the odd duck in a few car clubs because I'm under 90 years old!

23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's funny. I'm not in a club. I wont lie I secretly wanted to be. All my friends are in different clubs, and they are all the ones I have the most fun with.

deadbeat and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. I've been adopted by a few clubs over the years.
    I never actually joined, but always enjoyed there friendship.
    Odd? Yeah, probably. :)
    Caledonia Hot Rod Nationals
    Sumter County Cruisers
    AC Tumbleweeds
    Rt. 66 Car Club
    Rt. 50 Cruisers
    Do-Nutin's

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Gimpy, I think I'd be looking for another place to live... :eek:
    :D:D:D

BradinNC, hidez57 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Its OK Dreddy, I am going to start a club and its be called, "The Porknbeaner's Car Club and Really Cool Fun Guys" Just send me 15 bucks and you are a member. :D

27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I'll join that club.....check is in the mail!

Max Gearhead and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. OK then. I knew I could depend on you. :D :D :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tryin'. Finding a place that is affordable, and not 8-hours from where work is, is a challenge.

Plus, the wife....

Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Odd Ducks... that would be a good name for a car club. we are all odd ducks when compared to civilians.