Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are you sick of replacing light bulbs in your trouble light??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Mar 22, 2008.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I wanted to turn you guys onto this. I bought a pack of these light bulbs at walmart the other day. They say they take 26 watts, but put out 100 watts (bull crap). Anyway, they are heavy duty, and I would say they put out the equivilent of a conventional 60 watt light bulb. They have a 4 YEAR WARRANTY!!:):). I put one in my trouble light and have been fabbing the floor in my roadster-banging the light around, welding around it with spatter, dropped it with it on, and this baby is really great! After leaving it on, the bulb is COOL to the touch which makes it a great safety thing. If you bang your trouble light around a lot, these bulbs are a must have. I don't know if they are available in a 150 watt :confused:or more. Just wanted to let you guys know how happy I am with it. Kurt

2. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Forgot The Pic

Attached Files:

3. be careful with those trouble lights with old bulbs..My buddy burned his garage down along with a 69 Mustang and a 65 Ford truck.

don't know if the new ones will explode or not..

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

That style of bulb rules.

I have them in the outside lights on my garage. They are the typical ornamental housing that you take the top off to change the bulb. WIth a conventional light bulb I would get 3 months of life before they burnt out. With this style bulb I'm approaching a year with no failure!

I need to try one in my drop light!

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

I've used those too but I didn't think they were very durable. I also recently found out they contain mercury, and it releases when they break. I broke 2 in my trouble light in the last month!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one of those cordless 30 something led work lights at a local place that shows great light, lasts about 3 hrs on a charge (it holds up longer than I do) and won't burn a guys neck when he lays it next to him on the creeper.

I've got the florescents in every socket in the house but didn't think about putting one in a drop light in the garage.

7. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

those cordless l.e.d. work lights rock, my wife bought me one. i hardly ever touch a flashlight anymore.

8. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I've been using the flourecents for about 2 years now.
    The only way I kill 'em is at close range with a grinder or a torch. I luuuuvvvv 'em.

9. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I bought a LED craftsman one at an after Christmas sale for 15 bucks. Cordless, rechargeable, BRIGHT as hell, and cheap. Even came w/ a car charger.

No need for anything else...

10. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Black Primer has it right, those bulbs do contain mercury. In normal circumstances, they would be outlawed but the government is more concerned about saving energy. Just be careful with broken bulbs, especially if there are kids around. For those who don't know, auto parts stores carry rough service bulbs, much like a regular bulb but lots tougher and last longer. They resist breaking from fluids and dropping on floor.

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have Rough Service Bulbs in my drop light. I think Phillips makes them? I've had it in there for close to 2 years now and it has more weld spatter on it than light bulb showing. I never thought of them for droplight use. I wonder if Wal Mart would honor the warrantee if you broke one? Are they for rough service or just a regular light bulb?

12. Paul2748

Paul2748

IMHO, these compact flourescents are great. I think they are better than the extra duty bulbs which always went out if I banged the light. These don't.

13. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

I use ruff lights theyre regular style bulbs but thicker and dont burn out when you bangem around. They have them at autoparts stores like napa and carquest the ones that suply auto shops.

14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Yep, every one made in China, no matter the brand, and contain Mercury.
    Those are why GE has closed a bunch of lighting plants and I'm unemployed

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I got tired of being burned....... I have a plastic trouble lamp with those wierd bulbs ...... they hold up pretty good ...... no light holds up like the 50's ...... and I don't get burned!

In a couple years we will only be able to buy those bulbs in the EU no real ones

Don't you know that shippin' from China isn't counted in a progucts carbon
    footprint!

16. SD49chevy

SD49chevy

I have been using a plastic drop light with those bulbs and they work great.

17. I have used the ruff service light bulbs for a long time,,,,they are kinda like the old Timex watch commerical,,,they take a licking and keep on ticking. HRP

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I had 2 rough service lamps go out just yesterday. Of course the 2nd one prolly quit cause i threw the fucking light across the shop :) Anyone ever change the oil filter on a 2000 caviler with a 2.2 .. Id like to run it up gm's ass.... Its a shame when they cant make it easy for a guy with a floor jack.. If it was mine it wouldnt be.. :) I got my rough service lamps at menards.. I may try the fluorescents just for the hell of it..
    Dave

19. afan

afan
    from michigan

i just was watching the local detroit news on tv and they had a report that while these light bulbs are good for the enveriorment, if you break one it becomes a hasmat problem because of the small amount of mercury in them so be careful because hasmat cleanups are big buck expensive cause it cost a lot for our goverment to protect us from ourselves!

20. jaysix

jaysix

I dont think that I would be calling hasmat to come to my garage to clean up a broken light bulb

21. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Mercury has always been around. We were exposed to mercury alot more when we were kids than now. I am not saying that mercury is good for you but how does it go from that neat shiney liquid ball to hazardout material and we need to call out the guys in white to keep us safe when a florecent bulb is broke.

For me, I will continue to clean up a broken bulb as I have in the past, throw it in the garbage. It just seems that a reality check is needed at times.

Neal

22. tjm73

tjm73

I think the risk of exposure to mercury from a broken CF light is quite small and overstated by those that think they need to protect you from yourself. How much mercury does a CF light have in it anyway? I'd bet it's not very much.

23. afan

afan
    from michigan

i knew that when i posted that that i would get jumped i don't use the bulb cause they are expensive and roof service bulbs . if you read the package you will see the disclimer and the warning. who cares i spill probley a gallon of hoist oil on the ground each day at work in various places in the detiot metro area and i don't tell anybody and don't care it came from the ground and it will soak back in!

24. afan

afan
    from michigan

any i'm watchin the hunnert pileup on the tube