Register now to get rid of these ads!

are you kidding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by o2bdone, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You should use punctuation, and hit enter once in a while. I had a hard time following your story.:(

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

I used to live in Upland and Ontario a few years back. Those checkpoints suck! Once, they had a checkpoint right on the corner of the block I was living on. Literally half a block away from my door. I was on my way to school in the morning and running a little bit late, so I jumped in the car and took off while putting on my seatbelt simultaneously. I was still adjusting the seatbelt and fixing my jacket etc. I totally saw the checkpoint from down the block. The cop waved me over and gave me a ticket. I explained to him that I just lived half a block away, and I was on my way to school etc. etc... he could have let me slide, but he decided to be a dick about it and give a struggling student a stupid fine. according to the law you are supposed to put your seatbelt on before the car is in motion. Lesson learned: Ontario cops are dicks.

On a more related note. When I first got the 50 chevy in my avatar, It had the original 216 . It had been sitting for several years and still ran! but It needed a ring job/rebuiild. It would give a big puff of smoke when I would take off from a stop light. Well I couldnt help myself because I was all excited and took it for a little drive even though it would smoke. The cop gave me the same ticket you got. "Excessive smoke". Well I did have to go to court. Luckily within those few months I had found another 235 and sent it to get rebuilt. I didnt have it back in the car and running yet. I was supposed to have taken it to the CHP inspection station and get it signed off and pay the $15. I explained this to the judge, and showed him the receipt for the rebuild and he said "well it looks like you are taking care of the problem, case dismissed".

If I were you, I would add a pvc valve like people have suggested and maybe a thicker oil. just take it in while its still cold, and pay that $15 and be done with it.
    If you have a friend with a shop get them to write you a receipt for the PVC valve installation, that way you can take that if you have to go to court and the judge will see that you took it to a shop to get repaired. Its all BS. just do what they ask for and dont worry too much.

3. thanks for the advice allin

4. RichG

RichG

I love how so many people blame cops for their failures to follow the law. Sure, I break the law too, but if I'm caught, I own up to the fact that I was wrong. Why not do that sometime, see how it works out?

Sheesh:cool:

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Do a ring job! and valve stem seals and guides, what ever it takes.
    It doesn't matter that your car is exempt from the modern emissions test, smoking has been a ticketable problem for decades.

You'd better do your research or you may find your day in court is a day to empty your wallet.

You didn't snap to the words above "NO MOTOR VEHICLE" which has no relationship to dates or age or modern emissions test standards, why?
    Because it means NO motor vehicle, that's why.

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Pfft, I'd like to see you try and find one bad thing about The Bronx! :)

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I've been to California, its great. Right up until a resident speaks.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes idiots wear a uniform. Not all wear one, but they are out there. Trust me on that. As my car gets closer to being road worthy, I wonder if I'll ever cruise the street where I met one.

I don't hate cops, but in my book and yours there's one less "hero".

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Based on your own words, you broke the law. What made the cop a dick?

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As noted by so many of the posts here, my guess would be that all the cop-haters are under-30 or never learned to pay attention to the law to begin with.

Hope none of you guys are ever in a situation where a cop saves your life or the life of your wife or kids. Think about it, "Thanks, Officer, for saving my life, you worthless, shitbag dickhead!". How's that sound?

Grow up. Wear your seatbelts, 'fess up when you're wrong, fix your goddamn blowby problem, pay your tickets and stop acting like 5-year-olds who think they're tough guys/rebels. Your mommies will whip your butts when you get home, just like always, if you hand them a story like we just heard here.

11. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Isnt there a website for upcoming California checkpoints? , i believe by Law they have to be told through the media where they will be ( at obscure times) ...I dont drink at all ...however .... the brownshirts ( greenshirts) are on the march here and have no respect for hotrodding..

12. RichG

RichG

Awesome, just simply awesome...:D

13. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Dude ...I have many personal friends who are cops...its nothing about "disrespect" there are lawmakers in state and federal government that are staying up late at night coming up with new and "innovative" ways of
    keeping "green house gases" from polluting thier precious calif air...its just the beginning...

14. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Colorado has the same law. Doesn't matter if the car is exempt or not, if it emits smoke it can be ticketed.

When I bought a 65 Chevy truck last year, it had to be emission checked. It passed the emissions portion but they said it failed due to smoke. The guy said, go change the oil - put in Mobil One synthetic, change the plugs and then bring it back.

I did what he said. Receipt in hand for the oil - filter and plugs I took it back a couple hours later and he passed it.

Personally I don't think the oil or the plugs made any difference, but the guy saw I was "doing as told".

Such is life....

15. Some synthetics don't make smoke when they burn,, unlike whatever the oldest daughter is cooking as this is written.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I don't use the word "disrespect" any longer. Since the ghetto trash made it a VERB and cheapened and distorted a perfectly good word of the English language it has no meaning except in ghettoville.

Surprise, those State and Federal lawmakers you mention have been doing their evil business for much longer than I'm sure you've been alive. This isn't the beginning, "Dude", it's the end.

17. The high mileage oil that all the oil companies make burns at a hotter temp. Change to that or synthetic before you go to the cop shop. Install a PVC if that isn't enough. If that doesn't do it, it's time to rebuild that engine.

I find it very sad that there's so few constructive suggestions on this thread and so many asshats bashing the cops and making snide and jealous comments about California. The HAMB is what WE make it. If I can learn to quit showing my ass, so can the rest of you.

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Call the police department and ask to speak to the issuing officers supervisor. explain yourself and your situation, and if he/she wont help talk to THIER superior. Keep track of everyone you've talked to, get names and badge numbers. If no one will help you will have to go to court and explain to the judge. What year is your car?

19. 61TBird

61TBird

So why are 2 of your friends on your public profile from California???:D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  20. 5window

5window

Sorry, I read this and just keep thinking what an idiotic statement this is. Can't imagine how you dive when you are "rolling", but I'm glad it's not on my highways. And yes, I've got a hot lead foot, but if I get caught, I admit it. As for O2bdone, come on> You tried to avoid the stop, you've got a car that smokes and you're trying to avoid a group of police officers who have been sent out to find violators of the motor vehicle law. They found you. Make it as good as you can,then pay up. Then fix your car.

21. 61TBird

61TBird

And we are eternally grateful....:D

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

commies

my wife is wanting so bad to visit..

I have no desire to do so

If i take the Mother road tour (66) ..I'll probably decide to turn around before entering the Communistic State of California

23. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

And if you go to court tell them that it was overheating from sitting in an un-neccessary, state inflicted traffic line, and that caused steam to escape. Make it overheat, and tape it and, bring the tape.

24. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

California died fifty years ago, but the body is still kicking. It's being run by jock sniffers. Just my opinion.

25. 61TBird

61TBird

Don't be a WUSSY...we have cookies for you!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. OLLIN

OLLIN

I said "he could have let me slide", and he chose not to. I was still in the process of adjusting my seatbelt and fixing my jacket etc. while i was leaving for school in the morning. Yes I technically broke the law, because the car was technically in motion, but geez. I lived on the same block that the checkpoint was taking place and he saw me still pulling out of the driveway! And i ended up being late for class. Of course I believe in the word of the law, but in the spirit of the law he could have been cool about it.

27. 61TBird

61TBird

Since this is doomed for closure soon...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

In the spirit of the law, Olin, your not supposed to move the car unless you have a seatbelt on. You did, you got caught, hopefully you'll learn a lesson.

You're not special, you don't get to slide, and nobody cares if you're late for class. Next time don't break the law if you don't have time for a ticket.

Men don't quibble and take responsibility for their actions.

29. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

There's alot of stuff here that I agree with, and some I don't. I haven't seen it actually expressed yet, so here is the definition of excessive:

ex⋅ces⋅sive [ik-ses-iv]
    –adjective going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree; characterized by excess: excessive charges; excessive criticism.

Unless it is written down in the law what excessive means as far as what they are to enforce is concerned, then you've got grounds to win your case. I know with regard to military transport aircraft, a leak is determined by "more than 5 drops per minute" and less can be certified to fly.

Another thing you can do is plead not guilty and request a jury trial. Hey, it's your right.

30. sedan33

sedan33

I'm thinking its just the beginning for all of us! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.