Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are you interested in a brand new big bore capable Ford Y-Block block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tedd, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Tedd

Tedd

Verne Schumann of Schumann Sales and Service is working up a new block casting for the Ford Y-Block (292/312). Plans are for it to be 4.125" bore capable with crossbolt mains and other features for those who want to make some serious horsepower or want a Y that's just plain bigger. At this point he needs verbal committments on these new production Ford Y cylinder blocks to make this project viable. Target price for a finished block at this point is $3995. More information on these blocks is available at the Y-Blocksforever forum.

If you think you might be interested in a brand new 4.125” bore capable Ford Y block machined and ready to assemble, then give him a call and get your name on the list. No upfront money is required.

His contact information is:
    Schumann's Sales and Service
    227 W Mayne St., Box 128
    Blue Grass, Iowa 52776
    Phone: 563 – 381 – 2416

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    kidcampbell71 and Calkins like this.
  2. Since most Ford engines were/are Y-blocks, are we talking 292/312 type Y-blocks or FE type?

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are the 292 312 series. With an offset ground 312 crank, 4.125 bore, you can see ~380 CID. Custom rods and pistons, etc. Possibly drop in lifters, also. Mummert has a scenario for 400+ CID

4. Tedd

Tedd

As Miker mentions, these blocks are indeed for the 292/312 Ford Y-Block engines. With an aftermarket 4" stroke crankshaft, you're looking at 428 cubic inches with a 4.125" bore. With a 4" bore and a 4.250" stroke, you're looking at 427 cubic inches. The block has a raised cam bore which makes additional stroke beyond the already capable 4.00" stroke relatively easy. And Verne has already mentioned that the appropriate timing gear set will be available to make this a bolt together.

Calkins likes this.

5. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Sign me up.

Is he planning on a cast iron or an aluminum block?

6. You can make it bigger, but still the real problem with Yblocks to me is the head design.

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I thought the aftermarket heads cured the flow issue?

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A valid point was made to me by a well known Y Block builder and enthusiast.

If you buy an expensive new block and all the other new fancy "improved" parts, is it really a Y Block ?

I have my doubts.

Part of the fun with these vintage engines is building them from old parts, and finding ways to make them better without totally re-engineering them.

I think he is right, once you do that a lot of what makes these old engines special may be lost.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wouldn't call it a problem, lets say rather a design that has limitations.

It has been proven that with bigger valves and some mild porting they can be made to produce respectable power.

That is what was done to my ECZ-G heads.

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

Lessee, it would be using an aftermarket block, heads, intake, crank, pistons. What's left Ford?

jack vines

11. This is going to be interesting...

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

A little pricey for the average hot rodder...

13. Tedd

Tedd

Cast iron is the plan.

14. williebill

williebill

I'd love to see this go forward,and actually see production.

15. Uh, Tedd IS a well known if not one of the best known Y-Block builders out there.:rolleyes:

Calkins likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Roll your eyes all you like, I was referring to our own Tim Mcmaster (mctim64) the builder of my Y Block and also a good Y Block builder and racer who can hold his own.

I think it is a valid point of view.

Calkins likes this.
  17. This could be cool for the right application. I wouldn't mind having a 427 CI Y-block for my wagon.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you asked...not interested

19. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Just my $0.02:

I always thought a big cube Y-Block meant building a Lincoln Y, FE, or MEL. Although I love to see these items enter the market, I really don't know if there is much of a market for it, especially if you still have to deal with the Y-Block bellhousing pattern.

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I had a 57 wagon that would peg the speedo and run for miles and with differant tires do the quarter in the 16's and I put 40k miles on it in 4 yrs (before I tore it down for paint)... so, vintage Y blocks can be built to be healthy & reliable... that motor in going in my 27 and if a streetable inproved design repro was available as a replacement in my wagon it would be a serious concideration... the wagon's a 4,300 lb car and I was pushing a vintage piece hard for a trip car... plus, it was a lot of modifications... I guess what I'm saying is - I'd rather see a Y-based motor under the hood than a later motor... aftermarket has kept flatheads under the hoods and aftermarket Y-block will do the same... like the Donovan 4, I'm sure it is a labor of love and ticket will take a long time to (or ever be) profitable...

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

$4000 block Mummerts heads $2200 intake $400 price for 331 stroker $2900 no telling what a 380 inch or larger would cost. Even with the numbers above your into it for $9500.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

John Mummert already has made the alum heads for a year or so now so there is no problems about going with a much better head .
    Unless you are stuck on a Y block and want more HP , just go and build a SBF and be done with it . Can get a ton more bang for the buck with a SBF over a Y block . Y blocks can also be bored out a lot too since they do come with lots of meat in the blocks .
    If you are a TRUE Y Block fan and want more HP , then just get a stroker kit from John Mummert ! Will be a lot less than spending $4000 for just a damn block . I can build you a great SBF engine for that kind of $$$ with alum heads !
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, what exStreamliner said. My 8BA flatmotor is as aftermarket as it gets, other than block and crank.

4TTRUK

24. I like hot rodding these old engines with parts that were basically available when they were in vogue. But putting $10,000 plus into a Y block, to make 400HP if you're lucky, well, at that point I'd rather use a 351W based 427 for a couple of grand less and have a street freindly motor that is a bunch lighter, makes 100+ HP more, and parts are readily available. Doesn't make sense to me.
    And I love the 312 in my 56 T-Bird, but if I want big power out of it. it will be Windsor all the way

25. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That's what I am saying . If you just want more HP go with a different engine . HP cost money anyway you look at it . There is no cheap way of doing it . You just have to shop smart and start out with a good base . With a SBF , you can 2 HP per cube and it will cost a lot less than the money you will spend for the Y block parts ! You will also end up with a ton more HP too for that kind of cash !
    I am building a 351w base 408 Clevor with a 2x4 tunnel ram that will be making close to 650 HP and will be a lot less than the $10,000 for a Y block .
    If you want to "Hop up" a Y block , then get some "G" heads , rework them and buy a nice cam from Mummert . That's call hotrodding and the way it use to be and should be !
    Now if you just want big HP for your ride , send me a PM and I can help you with that .
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  26. Ask Tim, Ted is who he goes to for answers when he does not know them. He is a good mentor to many of us. Hi Tedd:)

Calkins likes this.
  27. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Your wasting your time trying to sell something modern to most of this crowd.. me I like the idea but I also liked the aluminum 409 block.. to each his own.

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hopefully an upgrade in the block to use more modern valve lifters would be nice so cam swaps would be more friendly.

29. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

400 HP?? Try 584 at 7000 rpm, single carb on gas. And yes Ted, I know someone that wants one!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. teejay99

teejay99

as to the question , yes I'm interested .

T