Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you horny?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bellytanker, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I've always thought you need either good brakes or a loud horn, now I'm thinking that both would be good. What are you using for a horn?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What!? Yes. Thanks for pushing that button.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Motorcycle horns are pretty loud for their size. For my truck, I just got the loudest horn I could find at PepBoys, DB wise, for the buck. It ain't that hard unless you want something fancy like an air horn or something that looks like it's off an early Ford but louder. Gary

4. Belligerence

Belligerence

When i bought mine it had onea those whistle ones. Its a good way to piss off a big boyfriend of somebody’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled a pair of small horns off a car I junked. Just got them wired up. Sitting inside the frame rails where nobody can see them.

6. BJR

BJR

I usually use a 6 volt horn on 12 volts. Loud enough to blow the stripes off of a zebra.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm using the original 47 Lincoln horns. They are huge trumpets that look like air horns, but are electric. They are factory 6V pos ground, but work fine on 12V neg ground, I just don't sit on them a long time. They are loud enough just a short burst gets attention!

8. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm... Just ask the wife...

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Stock horns on all my vehicles but would love to find those Caddy horns that almost sound like train horns.

10. Bugguts

Bugguts

Mine has an original model A horn mounted under passenger floor board. Kids can’t get enough of it, and the girls like it too.

11. On my Model A under the floors amongst the x member the hi/low horns off the 47 Mercury donor car, mounted by the original builder... maybe because they are right under me but they seem damn loud !

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

AooGAH horn under the floorboard.

13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive got one of those red Bull horns in the 57 Fairlane. I wired the lever back about half way so I wouldn't need a cable and lever to operate it.

14. for Model A cabriolet, I use an Ah-oo-Ga horn stepped down for 12V use. For the hemi powered '51, I use a "beep-beep" Road Runner repro horn. I rarely use either

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I just yell out the window

Johnny Gee likes this.
  16. wsdad

wsdad

I find firing in the air clears the traffic.

The Quarter-Fast Club
    (We're half half-fast.)

Clay Belt likes this.
  17. I might need a foot switch........ One hand on the wheel, one hand with a middle finger in the air......

18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I'm using a couple of stock GM horns. Most GM cars (and I'm guessing Dodge and Ford also) had a pair of horns, dual note. Throughout the 70's and early 80's Cadillac used 4 horns, 4 notes. The 4 note horn set-up sure got your attention.

For my roadster project I have some old 6V trumpet horns that I'm contemplating trying to freshen up and use
    Bobby

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I plan on using a vintage exhaust horn. Looks like it is from the 1920s/30s

20. Took the 4 horn setup off an 85 Riviera a couple years ago- guy I sold the car to had a sad look on his face when he was pulling out of my driveway and tried to toot the horns.. oh well- I can’t wait to put them on something. Otherwise I really like the 6 volt horns although all my 6 volt cars/horns are all still 6 volt they are really loud. Mid 50s Porsche Bosch Horn is pretty wicked

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bellytanker likes this.
  21. evintho

evintho

Found a '69 Ford Country Squire wagon at Pick-N-Pull. Big, loud, all steel horns. Mounted them in the racecar nose on a relay. When I hit the horn, it grabs everyone's attention!

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ahooga.
    A lot of guys think they’re corny but if you drive in deer country you will find the deer may not pay attention to beep beep horn but run or stand at attention when hitting the aahooga . Saved my ass quite a few times.
    Mounted backwards in the wheel well.

23. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

When I worked at a ford dealership the Body shop fixed front end collision damage on a Cadillac for a friend of the owner.. For horns they just grabbed a couple out out of the parts department. A week after the car was delivered the owner came in and said the car does not have a Cadillac sounding horn. Owner ask me what a Cadillac sounding horn was. It takes horns in 3 or 4 tones to get that Cadillac horn sound.

24. I got some Scott Drake matched horns for my Ford from Summit. No extreme loudness, but a good sound.

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Unknown car horns, late '50s GM?

Bellytanker likes this.
  26. I car pool with Herb Alpert.

Deuces and Johnny Gee like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

One of my favorites..... ;)

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

OK Paul, great horns - what are they from ???

29. I have the Original Horn's ( 6v ) & they work Great on 12v
    also I have a Siren that I am thinking of Hooking up!
    good way of Clearing Traffic??

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

30. Usually for me horn is a not though out whatever is lying around thing. My favorite horns I ever had were dual horns off of a '64 Buick land yacht. They sounded like a freakin train.

On an old open car I like a 33-36 Ford. They are simple and make noise.

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.